*IS* the Monte Carlo screen *REALLY* plastic? Highly doubtful...

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Hello. I've been hearing various (unsubstantiated as ever) rumours that the screen on the OMC is actually plastic... which sounds a little silly to me, in the same way that the copy/paste merchants *always* refer to Apple iMacs as "brushed metal", when in fact they're ANODISED aluminium (it's SO easy to tell the difference, so why can't they?).

A large, thin pane of glass is going to bow slightly, more than a smaller pane of glass of the same thickness. Could this be why it has been (possibly) misunderstood as being plastic? Can someone with a little more than the average eye for detail and knowhow, please verify whether it IS indeed plastic, or not?

Then again, maybe it *is* plastic... which is entirely what I am here to ascertain.

Many thanks. :)

[uPDATE 03/10/2011]

I highly doubt that the OMC screen is plastic; let me explain: Aligning my eye with the edge of the handset, so that my field of vision is parallel with the plane of the screen, and with the entire screen angled so as to encourage a full reflection of ambient light upon the surface, I begin to press on the screen with the very tip of my finger, very carefully and very slowly, whilst observing only the point of contact where my finger meets the screen. I have applied considerable pressure, more than any plastic could take without deforming significantly more than the screen on the OMC test sample appears to. The indentation distortion of the screen is extremely minimal indeed. Any plastic substrate, laminate or composite, would have distorted much more than this, given the level of pressure applied, and considering the thickness of the outer layer of the screen can surely not exceed, at the most, 1mm.

Plastic? I think you're wrong, folks. I really do, and my knowledge of production line techniques and material behaviours (much of which is just common sense, and not jumping to poorly considered conclusions), having worked on them, seems to validate that this is, in fact glass, and not plastic.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

yep, its defiantly plastic, i prefer it this way to, after seeing how easily the iphone 4 screen cracked sad.gif

How can you tell for certain? A large glass pane can bend too...

How can you tell for certain? A large glass pane can bend too...

you can tell by just feeling it and how the light reflects of it, you will know when a phone has gorilla glass its easy to tell the difference from plastic

Edited by tillaz

The iphone 4 screen is so crack prone because of the flawed design of the phone. When dropped, much of the shock is on or transferred to the screen / rear glass panels.

On a phone like a Galaxy S 2 with a plastic shell and just a glass screen, you're much less likely to get cracks from a drop as the plastic is better at absorbing / dissipating the shock.

...so the OMC digitizer outer screen is plastic, but the tft inside is still glass?

My daughter dropped her OSF Blade and the LCD inside broke in two but the outer screen undamaged....

...so the OMC digitizer outer screen is plastic, but the tft inside is still glass?

My daughter dropped her OSF Blade and the LCD inside broke in two but the outer screen undamaged....

yes.

The iphone 4 screen is so crack prone because of the flawed design of the phone. When dropped, much of the shock is on or transferred to the screen / rear glass panels.

On a phone like a Galaxy S 2 with a plastic shell and just a glass screen, you're much less likely to get cracks from a drop as the plastic is better at absorbing / dissipating the shock.

totally agree, think the design of the iphone 4 is just stupid, the whole back of the phone is also glass lol .