philmein

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:E-Cigs
    expensive hobby
  • Devices:Orange Monte Carlo zte blade
just tried pauls cwm and that works from a cold boot i dont normally boot into clockwork with vol- i always use a reboot utility i should have checked tho
a lesson learned thoPosted Image

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Devices:GT-S8500,Zte Blade,SE ST15i
  • Twitter:@t0mm13b
Amended the first post to include an edit to say that the new kernel and recovery now works from cold boot. :)

No change to the zip files/download procedure etc. :)

Cheers, B)

try{ not_laugh; }catch{ FAIL; }finally{ laugh; }

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I successfully created backup of my stock ROM using the ClockWorkMOD GUI.
(...)
my skate is not rooted yet, but I may be wrong...
I have OSK_P743TV1.0.0B04
2.6.35.7-perf
Android 2.3.4

I tried using Superboot before on a OMC but got the same issue as C3C0: wifi stopped working (but in my case there was no boot image backup to restore).

Back on a stock OMC (OPT_P743TV1.0.0B02, 2.6.35.7-perf, Android 2.3.4), typing "su" on a terminal returns
"
su: access granted, courtesy of www.magicandroidapps.com
su: permission denied
"

I'm curious if I'd be able to backup my boot image, etc, using ClockworkMod GUI but not having root?
How did you go about this C3C0?

Thank you (newb here).

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5
You can do backup from recovery in any case - no matter if your phone is rooted or not. It makes no difference, because while

in recovery, no system is loaded. Root is just system related (implies if you have full control over running system applications and filesystem).

What you need to do is to boot ClockworkMod GUI instead of flashing it.

Just use:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot boot recovery.bin

Then you can backup you original recovery partition.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I later found out that booting the superboot and reverting back to original boot just left the phone rooted. So this means it is possible to root phone by flashing superboot and then reflashing original boot.

Edited by C3C0, 13 October 2011 - 11:20 AM.

Links to my stuff: SlimBean (Android 4.2.2), RootBox (CM/AOKP/PA mix 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly2 (AOSPA 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly (JB), ParanoidAndroid (ICS), MokeeOS (GB), CM7.2 (GB), SKatie (GB), SwedishSnow (GB), Kernels
If you like my contribution to Android community, click donate button on my page at: http://ceco.sk.eu.org
Please, do not use personal conversation to solve your problems. Use forum - its power is often underestimated. If I can't help somebody else will certainly try to. Thanks.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
Could we have screenshots please?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You can do backup from recovery in any case - no matter if your phone is rooted or not. It makes no difference, because while

in recovery, no system is loaded. Root is just system related (implies if you have full control over running system applications and filesystem).

What you need to do is to boot ClockworkMod GUI instead of flashing it.

Just use:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot boot recovery.bin

Then you can backup you original recovery partition.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I'm starting to get it I think.

On the rooting issue:
you flashed superboot, got the Wifi error, reflashed stock boot, and retained root permissions?
Is that reasonable (I mean, is there a reason for this)?

Thank you for clearing up things!

C3C0

C3C0

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5
My understaning is:

1) By flashing the superboot, the Superuser will be installed/activated in the system partition during reboot

2) By refleshing the stock boot, system partition remains untouched so root installed by superboot image will remain as is

Edited by C3C0, 13 October 2011 - 01:06 PM.

Links to my stuff: SlimBean (Android 4.2.2), RootBox (CM/AOKP/PA mix 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly2 (AOSPA 4.2.2), ParanoidJelly (JB), ParanoidAndroid (ICS), MokeeOS (GB), CM7.2 (GB), SKatie (GB), SwedishSnow (GB), Kernels
If you like my contribution to Android community, click donate button on my page at: http://ceco.sk.eu.org
Please, do not use personal conversation to solve your problems. Use forum - its power is often underestimated. If I can't help somebody else will certainly try to. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users