Managing Installation Space for apps

Guest pandra

Guest pandra

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the insanity that is the 512mb of space, which is already partially occupied by... something, meaning the actual available install space is minimal. I have not been able to root my phone (failed with z4root, universal androot *and* superoneclick (be grateful if someone has another i havent tried yet) although I have been able to flash it with 2.3.5. Rooting was tried after flashing, which may have been the problem. I dont know.

Anyway, my question is this. How to manage the very minimal phone memory available for installing apps, when I don't have root. So few apps that I want can be moved to the SD card. Its just SO frustrating!!

Please help if you can.

Guest scotth324

You can root by adding the 2.2 recovery Vache built and flashing superuser. I did mine tonight that way. Though I still can't seem to delete any of the junk stock apps it came with. Though I really don't know how to either I did get it to root as I was able to use Titanium Backup.

Guest pandra

You can root by adding the 2.2 recovery Vache built and flashing superuser. I did mine tonight that way. Though I still can't seem to delete any of the junk stock apps it came with. Though I really don't know how to either I did get it to root as I was able to use Titanium Backup.

Can't you get rid of stock apps by using root explorer or similar? Mind you, I've heard that many are tied to the system and it will fall over if you merrily get rid of them all.

Thatnks for the advice, though, I'll give it a whirl - do you have a link to vache's post? There seem to be a bazillion recoveries and methods and each thread seems to end up talking about any and all of them and I just get totally bewildered.

[edit] Found the post, installed the recovery, cannot seem to get to recovery... Vol up/down, camera, power, right? Damn phone just boots as normal. No errors during the recovery install.

[edit #2] Something I did not know. Camera has to be at half press. its all good. I also used the flash method to install SU, because just downloading from the market did not seem to register its existence with the other apps I have. Flashing requires in the first instance to toggle signature verify (disable it) otherwise the flash will not work.

I HAVE ROOT!! yay!

Thanks again, Scott for setting me on the right path. I have been trawling the forums for a day or two now, and finally have the answer I needed :)

Edited by pandra

Guest k0zmic

Can't you get rid of stock apps by using root explorer or similar? Mind you, I've heard that many are tied to the system and it will fall over if you merrily get rid of them all.

Sure can, just don't delete things like SystemUI.apk, ContactsStorage.apk etc.

Here's a list of things that you can & cannot delete safely, some of them are for a different ROM but it'll give you some idea: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Barebones