Market plays up

Guest jevdroid

Has this worked for anyone else?

Okay I think people are experiencing two different problems. Some are not able to download and install apps from within the Android Market app and others are unable to get the Advent Vega listed on the Android Market website. I don't think the .apk method helps fix the latter problem.

Edit: Okay so I went ahead and contacted Google, here's what they had to say:

According to our records, the device that you are using is not supported for use with Android Market at this time.

The Android operating system is open source, which means that any device manufacturer is free to use Android on its devices. However, Android Market is an application created by Google that is only made available to devices that pass Google’s compatibility requirements. In addition, manufacturers must obtain a license from Google in order to install Android Market on their devices.

For more information about the Android Compatibility Program, please visit:

http://source.android.com/compatibility/index.html

If you have any further questions, I recommend contacting the manufacturer of your device directly. I’ve provided a link below for your convenience:

http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/contact-us

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

So yeah, this is definitely Google's doing that is causing the problem here. The only solution would be to somehow trick Google into thinking this is a supported device (ie. Xoom). This would require some Rom modification however.

Edited by skay

Guest AlbaJoe

Perhaps but I suffer from both issues and suspect it is a cause and affect i.e. google has pushed us out based on policy => Cannot download or install & device is no longer recognised.

Piss poor on Googles side imho. I am fairly new to all things android but from what I see is that people are moving from apple to android because of the "open source" policy. There is little point having a free operating system in one hand if you cripple it in the other by denying the ability to use programs.

FFS I just bought the bloody Vega this week and now dont have anything to put on it now!!!!

Is there a work around for getting apps on these things without having to go through market?

I wonder if this is why Vega are punting all the vegas just now. Get rid of crippled stock and when they release Vega 2 it will come with supported market and force unfortunates like myself and the rest of you to upgrade

Guest zerosignull

Google arnt going to stop end users who load on a 3rd party ROM from from buying stuff from them. It makes no buisness sense. Also its a peace of cake to get around. Just need to change the device string in the build.prop (used to do this on my pulse for other reasons)

Most likely we are at the recieving end of some technical problems. You may want to upgrade ure market to 3.2

AlbaJoe I'm sure your problem can be easily fixed since I haven't heard of many other Vega users experiencing it. This may sound obvious, but are you on 9n update 3? That contains the crucial update Android market.

@ Zerosignull, this is exactly what I was thinking! So do you think changing the build.prop will get Vega listed on the Android market website? What were your results?

Guest AlbaJoe

AlbaJoe I'm sure your problem can be easily fixed since I haven't heard of many other Vega users experiencing it. This may sound obvious, but are you on 9n update 3? That contains the crucial update Android market.

@ Zerosignull, this is exactly what I was thinking! So do you think changing the build.prop will get Vega listed on the Android market website? What were your results?

not too sure which one i did was the latest as far as i am aware how do i check.

VC3.2 9n

There you go, that's your problem. The latest Vegacomb is VC3.2 9n Update 3. Flash to update 3 and you are all sorted.

However the Android market website will still not list the Vega as device, nothing can be done about this atm.

Edited by skay

Guest foxguard

Hey guys,

I thought i was the only on e with this problem as had posted on xda and no one had replied!

So we have no real fix for the time being then! Thats a real shame, was loving my Vega!

Guest AlbaJoe

There you go, that's your problem. The latest Vegacomb is VC3.2 9n Update 3. Flash to update 3 and you are all sorted.

However the Android market website will still not list the Vega as device, nothing can be done about this atm.

thanks m8 but how do you know i dont have the latest rev it was the one hehad linked on his post ??

thanks m8 but how do you know i dont have the latest rev it was the one hehad linked on his post ??

Check the Vegacomb thread again, there will be a 9n update 3 that you need to download.

Guest AlbaJoe

Check the Vegacomb thread again, there will be a 9n update 3 that you need to download.

yeah m8 been trying to bloody install it all morning lol ........ how do you install an update?

the normal process i.e. the 2 sec button sequence doesnt work and using the recovery option in the shutdown menu doesnt immediately go into recovery mode either. It does after playing with the power button mind you ??

once i get in there is it the `install update from sdcard option` ? been trying that but it doesnt do an updatedo i need to rename the file or something?

yeah m8 been trying to bloody install it all morning lol ........ how do you install an update?

the normal process i.e. the 2 sec button sequence doesnt work and using the recovery option in the shutdown menu doesnt immediately go into recovery mode either. It does after playing with the power button mind you ??

once i get in there is it the `install update from sdcard option` ? been trying that but it doesnt do an updatedo i need to rename the file or something?

You need to select “choose zip from sdcard” not the update one. And don't rename the file.

Guest AlbaJoe

You need to select “choose zip from sdcard” not the update one. And don't rename the file.

ah ffs I think I have bricked it now ..... its stuck in what looks like recovery mode ... i.e. blank black screen and wee blue light is on

Do the guys on here (who are very familiar with the Vega and all the things you need to do to flash and use different ROMs) think that the Android Market will ever work like it used to for VegaComb users? i.e. the Web version will recognise the device and keep track of our apps for us?

I am running VegaComb 8.1 (I've read and re-read instructions for re-flashing to 9n+update3 for hours, and I'm still too scared to actually try it out!) and I downloaded and installed the Market app - version 3.1.5 and the market app appears to work from my Vega ok.

Unfortunately, the Market app (rather than the Web version) doesn't tell you if apps are "compatible for your device" - so it presumably makes purchasing apps a little risky.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jevdroid

I noticed something yesterday that may be related to this issue. Browse "editor's choice" or something similar on the market app, than scroll all the way to the bottom of the list. Just below the final entries, in small characters and in a slightly dimmed font, it says I'm not logged in. In the top however it mentions my account and I can see some apps that I've paid for but not installed - meaning that info is fetched from my account on the market place. Anyone else sees the same?

Guest AlbaJoe

I noticed something yesterday that may be related to this issue. Browse "editor's choice" or something similar on the market app, than scroll all the way to the bottom of the list. Just below the final entries, in small characters and in a slightly dimmed font, it says I'm not logged in. In the top however it mentions my account and I can see some apps that I've paid for but not installed - meaning that info is fetched from my account on the market place. Anyone else sees the same?

cant see it myself

Guest jevdroid

cant see it myself

My mistake, it's not under Editor's pick but "top paid" in the market app. All the way down, it says "Authentication required. Please log into your Google account". But I am logged in:

P20111026220812.png

Edited by jevdroid

Guest dibbles

I have checked on mine but as I have gone back to the old style market it looks different but I get no such message or warning. Then again my devices never shows the Advent Vega any more and I can no longer download my previously bought tablet app, but that is something different.?