O2X - Stock Froyo to GR4

Guest pawilson78

Guest pawilson78

OK, so I've finally decided to start looking at other ROMs as it is pretty clear that even if the official Gingerbread ROM is released by LG, it will be a pile of crap.

I just wanted to get a concise workflow from start to finish of how to go from a stock phone to the GR4 MCR. I'm at the stage where my device is rooted, CWM'd and backed up, but thought would be useful to cover everything from the start so things like forgetting to backup the stock ROM aren't missed by other people who might find this useful.

Bulleted below are my steps so far, awaiting the steps to be filled in or corrected!

• Install latest\required baseband using SmartFlash
  • Root the phone

[*]Install ROM Manager[*]Flash ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery using ROM Manager[*]Take a back up of the stock ROM (using ROM Manager), and transfer to your PC\Laptop\Cloud etc...[*]Install Titanium Backup[*]Take a backup of all your apps and data, and transfer to your PC\Laptop\Cloud etc...[*]Download prebake or bake custom GR4 ROM from here[*]Transfer the ZIP to your ExternalSD card[*]Boot into CWM (Power off phone, then hold volume down and power button until CWM appears and release)[*]From the CWM Advanced Options, perform a wipe and clear Dalvik cache[*]From the CWM menu, select update from zip and choose the zip file for your ROM[*]Be patient whilst the ROM installs and configures[*]Complete the setup wizard[*]Use Titanium Backup to restore your chosen apps[*]If you haven't already got it, download and install GetRIL and make sure the RIL matches the installed baseband[*]Enjoy your new ROM!

Outstanding Q's:

Not sure whether or not the CWM with ROM Manager or Custom CWM should be used, and also clarification that they both write the backup to differing locations (one internalSD, the other ExternalSD).

Edited by pawilson78

Number 4 is the same as 11.

You can't backup baseband.

Your number one should be

"I install latest baseband"

Look at sticked articles for that. latest is the one that ends 725.

Yes you perform a full wipe data cache dalvic cache.

You use getril to get the correct ril for your baseband. You do that last.

smartflash is like formatting your mobile.you use it if something goes really wrong and you want to start from 0 again

Edited by orlox

Guest mparack

Just to confirm, can someone clarify if the CWM version from ROM Manager is compatible with the modaco roms or do we need to install the specific version linked in the ROM threads? I thought it would be the latter though the former would work for other ROMs.

Just to confirm, can someone clarify if the CWM version from ROM Manager is compatible with the modaco roms or do we need to install the specific version linked in the ROM threads? I thought it would be the latter though the former would work for other ROMs.

those link are old. CWM version from rom manager is what you need. Just dl from market and instal it. I think its 5.20.00 last version