Gingerbread custom rom?

Guest Pagger

Hello guys, I am currently using FR19 vanilla edtion, and have been for a couple of months.cool.gif

Back then there wasn't any stable Gingerbread roms available, but I was wondering what about now?

Is Gr4 (or possibly cm7??) as stable as FR19?

In the thread I read some people having problems, but I can't really figure out if it's 1 out of every 100 people, or 1 out of 5 there is experiencing problems unsure.gif

I'd really like to upgrade to a Gingerbread rom, but I don't want a rom with a lot of bugs :(

Edited by Pagger

Guest everett_psycho

Hello guys, I am currently using FR19 vanilla edtion, and have been for a couple of months.cool.gif

Back then there wasn't any stable Gingerbread roms available, but I was wondering what about now?

Is Gr4 (or possibly cm7??) as stable as FR19?

In the thread I read some people having problems, but I can't really figure out if it's 1 out of every 100 people, or 1 out of 5 there is experiencing problems unsure.gif

I'd really like to upgrade to a Gingerbread rom, but I don't want a rom with a lot of bugs :(

CM7.1.0 is very stable for me so could be worth a shot. might be worth giving pauls CM7 with a modaco twist a try as it is based on the stable build of CM

I don't really know much about cm7(or roms in generel), as far as i know cm7 is a gingerbread rom made from scratch? and gr4 is based on regular gingerbread rom?

have I got it right? and what's the other differences?

Also, what do you mean by a modaco twist?:)

Guest jon.m.knight

aye, pretty much correct..

Cyanogen Mod based of AOSP (Android Open Source Project)

MoDaCo based off offical manufacter source

GR4 is stable (MCR custom kernels however I've found buggy, so stick with stock kernel in kitchen)

not used CM7 in a while

Modaco twist of CM7; it's CM7 source with Paul's Modaco tweaks (there's a seperate thread for it in this forum)

Good luck!

Aight, thanks guys.

Might be a stupid question, but there's no LG software in a CM7 rom right? because that's what's so appealing about the Gr4 (vanilla edtion)

btw, I thought Nightlies were kind of like beta? and that they should be updated frequently (but maybe i'm wrong?) because I will probably not update it more than once every 1-2 months.

What is the difference between CM 7.1.0.2+ and cm7 184 nightly?

Allright, well I'm looking for the most stable Gingerbread rom, and I don't like all the LG stuff. So it sounds like CM7 is the way to go?

I am not that hard to please, I just want a stable gingerbread rom, so I don't think it's nescessarry to try both out.

I see 188 is the newest nightly. (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=nightly&device=p990)

and 7.1.0 latest stable (http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=p990)

So from what I understand, the nightlies are based on the stable version, but with a few updates. However I can't figure out if this makes it more stable, because of the bugfixes, or less stable, because of new bugs.

also, I see there's a few different basebands for GB, what's the difference? and which is recommended?

Edited by Pagger

Guest thedicemaster

new nightlies aren't any bit more or less based on the latest stable than they are on any other previous nightly.

all CM roms come from the nightlies, and the stable build is actually just another nightly that is tested enough that they can guarantee it will work fine for daily use.

and to the more/less stable: that's hit/miss. some new nightly builds have bugs fixed and work much better than the latest stable, and some break stuff making them run a lot worse.

best is to just check comments on the different nightlies, and pick a recent one with the most positive comments.

also a good thing about CM7 is that it has improved versions of some LG-goodies.

like the media controls and connectivity toggles in the notification bar which in CM all sit on 1 bar, can be configured freely(you choose which buttons are in the bar), and take only half the space.

the only thing i miss from MCR roms is the calendar app.

I installed nightly 188 last night, and everything is working great so far :) I plan on using CM7 for a week or 2, and then try out Paul's new rom based on the official GB rom, and then decide if I want to go back to cm7 :)

So thanks for the help all :)

With CM7 I think you will "loose" FM Radio App, but you will "take" photos and videos to be saved with the date are taken as a name, which I think is very usefull... (I can not understand why all the cookers are not using it as an option)

Guest antec123

With CM7 I think you will "loose" FM Radio App, but you will "take" photos and videos to be saved with the date are taken as a name, which I think is very usefull... (I can not understand why all the cookers are not using it as an option)

i use GR4 + neoblaze kernel + supercharger it seems nice

Guest everett_psycho
the radio has been added in cm nightly 195