Want to buy 2X

Guest Joost R

Guest Joost R

I'm owning a ZTE Blade at the moment. I really like it because of the variety of custom roms, but it isn't really fast. I was looking for a dual core phone, and the 2X seems the cheapest. I read that you don't need to trust LG when it comes to updates. So my concerns are that there are not very much (fully working) custom roms. My second concern is the amount of RAM, 512mb. That's the same on my Blade and I think that's little if you look to the recent models of for example HTC or Samsung. Could you give me some advice, get the 2X or wait for an other phone/save more money for SGS2.

Guest rjpa123

Currently, 2X is cheap mainly due to the fact that LG made a royal mess regarding software, reliability and updates.

If I were you, I would buy a phone with an officially confirmed update to ICS.

It will be a question of days before HTC, Samsung and (probably not) LG officially announce which models will receive ICS in the future.

Guest everett_psycho

personally i like my o2x but only because of the community on here meaning i can mod the crap out of it. I only got mine in august for just under £275 and i really dont think the samsung or HTC are twice as good to pay almost twice as much. If you need a phone now it's a great low cost powerhouse with a community behind it but if you don't i'd wait a short time to see what ICS news comes out, i have no faith in LG to deliver it but the CM team may port it to the device eventually

I live in Amsterdam.

I have pre-ordered a Galaxy Nexus.

If you want to buy my O2X in two or three weeks - in near perfect condition - you can get a great deal.

Reply here or PM me if you're interested.

Its a good device but consider the fact that you will have to use A diffrent rom becuse LG's stock is very bad, also there will be no official ICS update(Android 4.0)

If you can buy it cheat and have the skills to root it and install a custom rom you can buy this phone,

That is my opinion.

If i knew what i know now about this phone i would never buy it and go for the galaxy S2 (it came out to my country 2 weeks after I bought the LG 2x)

Guest everett_psycho
Its a good device but consider the fact that you will have to use A diffrent rom becuse LG's stock is very bad, also there will be no official ICS update(Android 4.0)

If you can buy it cheat and have the skills to root it and install a custom rom you can buy this phone,

That is my opinion.

I'd agree with this standpoint, it's great but I would not recommend it to most of my friends as I'd be the one who'd have to root it and do the rom flashing for them. Without the know how I'd go for the Samsung,HTC or nexus but with a little care and attention this isn't too far off performance wise, ill keep my spare £200 and put it towards my next upgrade

Guest Joost R

Thanks for the replies! I know how to root and install custom roms so that isn't a problem. How is the sound quality since I listen to music often and I use good headphones (Beats Studio).

Guest SpankyHam

You can get the Sensation on Amazon for around the £350 mark, and personally, I would rather pay the extra money and get that.

Running CM7 is great and shows what the phone could be, but every now and then something goes wrong that just reinforces what a poor job LG have done with the software. Personally I feel there are simply too many problems with the phone to pay more than £200 for it (Desire HD money).

£172

:)

As long as there are major issues with the stock firmware AND with CM many features are not yet working properly, I would not recommend buying one, at any price.

I suggest you wait until something modern (meaning Gingerbread) that's also stable comes out for the O2X.

Stock 20L has the crashing 3G which eats your battery really, really fast and also the GPS fix issue.

Granted, not everyone is suffering from this, but you don't want to be one of the 'lucky' ones! :)

Guest everett_psycho

£172 for one is a steal, as far as I can tell cm works a treat on the phone and I doubt that you would get a better value for money, its definitely a big step up from a blade (I came from a hero that was less powerful). I'll give you that the stock rom is crap though but if you know about roms its worth a punt

£172 for one is a steal, as far as I can tell cm works a treat on the phone and I doubt that you would get a better value for money, its definitely a big step up from a blade (I came from a hero that was less powerful). I'll give you that the stock rom is crap though but if you know about roms its worth a punt

I don't believe CM works perfectly yet. The (FM-)radio has just been fixed and from what I've read, there are also issues with the camera and other items.

The only 'issue' with the camera is that in low light it sacrifices FPS for image quality, which some people don't like. The irony is that this change was brought about by LG anyway.

I came from a zte blade and I must say I have regreted the upgrade :(

There is no stable rom, basebands are lousy and there is not much hope either.

Edited by nitko

Guest Joost R

Everyone has a very different opinion it seems. I don't want to update in at least a year, if there come better roms it would be fine I guess? The hardware seems perfect, but it is the lack of software development from LG that ruins it. So after ICS is out it can be a totally different story?

Everyone has a very different opinion it seems. I don't want to update in at least a year, if there come better roms it would be fine I guess? The hardware seems perfect, but it is the lack of software development from LG that ruins it. So after ICS is out it can be a totally different story?

Lets sum it this way:

Hardware is very nice, but is ruined by total lack of software support, including lousy basebands and RILs which cause network problems, catastrophic incall quality, reboots etc.

Community builds cannot help the facts that basebands are buggy and the lack of driver source code.

even the official ROMs are buggy. unstable, slow, ...

:(

Edited by nitko

Guest mparack

It's funny that we are on the Modaco forum and people are going on about CM7 but no one is saying how good Paul's MCR ROMs are. I have had no issues with GR4 or GR5. I tried MIUI but didn't like it so reverted back to GR5. Based on my experience, GR5 has no BSODS, inadvertent reboots, crashes, GPS problems or 3G data drop issues.

I did notice that while I was on GR4 and travelled abroad, on the new network I would get regular data drops but when I returned to the UK, these stopped, hence confirming my belief that this is a network specific issue and not across the board. Since installing GR5, I have not had any data drops or any other wifi/network related issues. The battery life seems much better so all in all I would highly recommend this phone if you intend to use it with the Modaco ROMs. I have no experience with CM7 so can't comment on that.

For £172 it would be a steal. By the way, DJMCNZ is that £172 for a new phone or a used one? If new, where are you getting it from?