Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest siedkins

Could someone answer my questions please?

Can we apply r3 over r2 directly or do we need to perform some task prior applying r3?

Thanks

Just apply r3 - it is fine if you have already applied r2 - it doesn't effect it.

My vibrate function seems to have stopped working after this. Maybe it happened as part of the bootloader unlocking, not sure.

Anyone else got the same problem?

Guest micflan

Running R3 in Linux and I get:

$ ./install-superboot-linux.sh

./install-superboot-linux.sh: line 2: ./fastboot-linux: No such file or directory

Running ./fastboot-linux directly gives me the same error. The file is definitely in the directory.

Anyone any ideas?

Edited by micflan

Guest micflan

Switched over to Windows and got the phone rooted. Thanks!

I had to install the the PDANet software to install the usb-drivers before it got past the "Waiting for device" screen though, as jmagee pointed out. You can download PDANet here.

Edited by micflan

Guest siedkins

I've had my phone for all of 3 days but I've got quite a bit configured & setup. Is there anyway to backup my apps, settings etc without root?

Rooting does not wipe your phone but unlocking the bootloader does - have you not unlocked yet? If you have then rooting will not remove you data.

To back up data requires root I think. You can back up SMS via one of many apps from the market. What data are you trying to keep?

Guest bushbrother

Rooting does not wipe your phone but unlocking the bootloader does - have you not unlocked yet? If you have then rooting will not remove you data.

To back up data requires root I think. You can back up SMS via one of many apps from the market. What data are you trying to keep?

:( I was looking for an answer to this question ... I was hoping there was some way to do this without wiping my phone. Will it always be this way or is there a possibility of unlocking bootloader without wipe in the future?

Another question - is unlocking of the bootloader "supported" by Samsung? or am I voiding warranty?

This may be a silly question but I've just got my GN and whereas using an HTC device is childs play using a Samsung device is completely new. If I'm going to flash a new ROM as soon as I've unlocked the phone so is using this Superboot needed? I don't care about just rooting the stock ROM and seeing as custom ROMs come with a boot.img anyway I assume I'm good to go?

This may be a silly question but I've just got my GN and whereas using an HTC device is childs play using a Samsung device is completely new. If I'm going to flash a new ROM as soon as I've unlocked the phone so is using this Superboot needed? I don't care about just rooting the stock ROM and seeing as custom ROMs come with a boot.img anyway I assume I'm good to go?

Yep, you don't need the superboot. Just unlock the bootloader, flash the revocery and after that flash a rom.

Nice one mate, thought it was that simple! :D

Finally got mine turned on after having it all day in work and not being able to play. It's a seriously nice handset

Guest GriZlore

Could anyone please gimme some help?

I have previously rooted/unlock, however after the recent samsung/google volume patch, i have lost root.

what's the easiest way of doing this again please? (without wiping) I am still unlocked.

Thanks in anticipation

sorted - i just did it again - d'oh

Edited by GriZlore

Guest Ethrael

Just got the Verizon LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Drivers installed through PDAnet fine, got to bootloader mode, however when I run either install-superboot-windows.bat or 'fastboot-windows oem unlock', I get this error:

... FAILED <command write failed <Unknown error>>

Got one from Telstra (AUS)

Installed PDANet fine and recognises my phone. Can copy things back and forth fine.

Get to bootloader mode fine too

Whenever I try to do either commands in command prompt, just says < waiting for device > and sits there, until i CTRL+C...

Any thoughts?

Got one from Telstra (AUS)

Installed PDANet fine and recognises my phone. Can copy things back and forth fine.

Get to bootloader mode fine too

Whenever I try to do either commands in command prompt, just says < waiting for device > and sits there, until i CTRL+C...

Any thoughts?

Was the phone recognized also in the bootloader mode?

Was the phone recognized also in the bootloader mode?

Ahh... here's the problem...

Can't seem to get it updated... grabbed the Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_4_6_0.exe already and pointing it to the install location picked up nothing.

I have the Android SDK installed as well... but for some reason, I can't install the Google USB Driver package...

I assume this needs to be fixed somehow?

Downloading Google USB Driver package, revision 4

File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\temp\usb_driver_r04-windows.zip (Access is denied)

Guys I need some help Please! I unlocked the bootloader fine. I use superboot, now Im in a boot loop on the Google screen. Did I miss something. I have the Galaxy Nexus LTE version. Thanks for the future help

Guys I figured it out. SO I booted in to recovery and got the adroid with a red triangle with exclamation mark. So I used this tut to fastboot CWM and VUALLA! All good.

Guys I need some help Please! I unlocked the bootloader fine. I use superboot, now Im in a boot loop on the Google screen. Did I miss something. I have the Galaxy Nexus LTE version. Thanks for the future help

Dave90,

Can you please elaborate? I'm in the same situation and would really appreciate some more detail about how you resolved.

Much thanks.

Guys I figured it out. SO I booted in to recovery and got the adroid with a red triangle with exclamation mark. So I used this tut to fastboot CWM and VUALLA! All good.

Sure so basically I ran that superboot like you did and got the Google boot loop. So I went into the recovery and noticed the android with the red triangle with the exclaimation mark. So I said hmm.. is it possible my revocery image got corrupt. So I downloaded and fastboot push the CWM image and poof I was good. Here is the tutorial.

Koushik Dutta - Yesterday 8:52 PM (edited) - Public

Unlocking/rooting your Galaxy Nexus

This process is similar to all the other Nexus phones, which come unlockable thanks to google:

Download:

Clockwork Recovery for Galaxy Nexus (CDMA):

http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

Superuser update package:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/su.zip

Using a console and fastboot (which can be obtained in various places, look around):

# boot into fastboot by powering off, then turning the phone on with volume-up + power

# unlock

fastboot oem unlock

# boot recovery

fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

# note the trailing slash when pushing the superuser zip

adb push su.zip /sdcard/

Install su.zip from clockwork recovery like you normally would. This is not a permanent recovery flash. That will be available later today.

In case you flash recovery, you can revert back to stock recovery with this image:

http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/stock-toro-recovery.img

Full/official factory images:

https://groups.google.com/group/android-building/msg/f6002e27c9b41a5d?pli=1

Here is the original source.

Hope this helps.

Dave90,

Can you please elaborate? I'm in the same situation and would really appreciate some more detail about how you resolved.

Much thanks.

Sure so basically I ran that superboot like you did and got the Google boot loop. So I went into the recovery and noticed the android with the red triangle with the exclaimation mark. So I said hmm.. is it possible my revocery image got corrupt. So I downloaded and fastboot push the CWM image and poof I was good. Here is the tutorial.

CWM is unable to install su.zip b/c it can't mount /sdcard/. I can get in via adb shell & see the files & permissions are all there. Am I missing something?

Edited by thwg

Guest 318vert

I installed the volume fix manual and i lost root by the look of it.

I connect to my PC and boot into boot loader and double click install-superboot-windows.bat and my phone restarts but i still dont think i have root again as cwm will not install.

How can i check if i have root? I look in .system.,bin for SU but i cannot see it

Ash

EDIT:

Seems my wifi was playing up and so was taking ages to download CMW so i used my mobile network instead and it works fine.

But while in bootloader i can not connect to my phone with adb. It dosnt show in device list.

Edited by 318vert