FTM bricked my phone ?

Guest ChrisHS

Guest ChrisHS

Hi,

I got into FTM mode (looking for debug) powered off by removing the battery, refitted & turned on now the phone doesn't see the sim, imei/imsi are 'unknown'.

Is there a way to get it back ? Seems way too easy to break.

It's an Orange Monte Carlo.

Ta,

Chris

~~~~

Guest unrandomsam

you could try the first post in this thread http://android.modac...from-ztes-site/ failing that ??? only seen similar to this on the blade gen1 to gen 2 windows method.

i think there maybe a tool to sort your imie out but in in the blade forum

I think thats a bad idea :

First thing to try is the ZTE Windows software update tool (It supports blade / racer / skate etc).

Guest unrandomsam

I think thats a bad idea :

First thing to try is the ZTE Windows software update tool (It supports blade / racer / skate etc).

Get it from

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/UK/

If it doesn't detect it then perhaps you can try the V880 tool with the extracted version of the TPT you are using.

(That is fairly unlikely to work though)

Guest ChrisHS

Get it from

http://wwwen.zte.com...data/mobile/UK/

If it doesn't detect it then perhaps you can try the V880 tool with the extracted version of the TPT you are using.

(That is fairly unlikely to work though)

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I finally got some time to look at this & tried something simpler to start that worked.

So I downloaded the file from ZTE for the OMC & put it in the image folder on the SD card ready to reload.

As I'd dumped out my contacts & was going to loose any apps I thought I'd give the built in factory reset a go first.

After showing the unboxing picture & a delay while it did its work it booted through the orange splash screen & then went through the Orange setting up the phone basics & connected to the GSM network without a problem.

The com.phone crapout messages were gone, a good sign.

Looking at the about phone showed the IMEI was back, even better !

The item below used to be IMSI ? anyway four letters is now IMEI SV with a value of 00 where it used to be another imei length series of numbers.

It has my sim phone number, can dial & receive calls use 3G data so I guess it doesn't need the other number.

I put the phone back to FTM mode & connected to it with the RF NV Manager 1.4.32 & it could read the data from the phone. Rebooted it to normal mode & it has kept the IMEI intact this time.

Yay sucess !

Now I'd like to dump the rom in case of future 'accidents'.

Would a dump keep the lot or would I have to reload apps like I have with factory reset ?

What's the simplest/safest way to dump out the rom ?

Some of the posts say it's better to dump first before superboot & clockwork mod in case you need to reload a file lost by superboot.

Chris

~~~~~

Guest unrandomsam

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I finally got some time to look at this & tried something simpler to start that worked.

So I downloaded the file from ZTE for the OMC & put it in the image folder on the SD card ready to reload.

As I'd dumped out my contacts & was going to loose any apps I thought I'd give the built in factory reset a go first.

After showing the unboxing picture & a delay while it did its work it booted through the orange splash screen & then went through the Orange setting up the phone basics & connected to the GSM network without a problem.

The com.phone crapout messages were gone, a good sign.

Looking at the about phone showed the IMEI was back, even better !

The item below used to be IMSI ? anyway four letters is now IMEI SV with a value of 00 where it used to be another imei length series of numbers.

It has my sim phone number, can dial & receive calls use 3G data so I guess it doesn't need the other number.

I put the phone back to FTM mode & connected to it with the RF NV Manager 1.4.32 & it could read the data from the phone. Rebooted it to normal mode & it has kept the IMEI intact this time.

Yay sucess !

Now I'd like to dump the rom in case of future 'accidents'.

Would a dump keep the lot or would I have to reload apps like I have with factory reset ?

What's the simplest/safest way to dump out the rom ?

Some of the posts say it's better to dump first before superboot & clockwork mod in case you need to reload a file lost by superboot.

Chris

~~~~~

You can dump it using QPST if you want.

Guest ChrisHS

You can dump it using QPST if you want.

While you wrote that I was trying it.

I did save it but it left the phone without imei & I had to do factory reset again & again as below grrr :angry: .

Had another go at FTM to backup the nvm data to my pc.

Phone near full charge, usb debugging on for all of this below.

Attempt 1

Usb plugged in.

Phone powered off through menu.

Charging animation shown.

Held vol down & power on until vibrated then released power, vol down still held.

Booted to orange NOT FTM & broken as before lost imei.

Restored to factory & rebooted & setup OK imei back.

Attempt 2

Usb unplugged, held vol down until vibrated.

Booted to orange NOT FTM & broken as before lost imei.

Restored to factory & rebooted & setup OK imei back

Attempt 3

Usb unplugged, held vol down & power until FTM shown.

Used reset button inside back cover to reboot.

Rebooted to orange

Booted to orange & broken as before lost imei.

So FTM needs both buttons held until you see FTM on screen.

Restored to factory & rebooted & setup OK imei back

Attempt 4

Powered off.

Usb unplugged, held vol down & power until FTM shown.

Usb plugged in, qpst software download saved working nvm to file.

Exited qpst

Unplugged usb.

Pulled battery.

Waited a few seconds 10.

Refitted battery

Used power button to turn on

Booted to orange & broken as before lost imei.

Restored to factory & rebooted & setup OK

Files saved from broken booted into ftm 3 & working into ftm 4 are not the same !

There are five differences so it's not just a datestamp for the file that's changed. I need to do a hex diff to see what it looks like...

Is there a 'correct' way to get into FTM that doesn't loose the IMEI ?

I guess I was lucky when I tried FTM after the first reset to factory.

If I got round to loading a custom rom would they work until I needed FTM & then they would have to be restored to factory reload all apps ?

Chris

~~~~~

Guest ChrisHS

Right that worked fine thanks :rolleyes: .

It's fiddly one handed but do-able.

Get in & out of FTM WITHOUT the battery in.

Hold vol down & power on while plugging in the usb lead for power & data access.

Pull the usb lead when finished.

Refit battery.

Turn on OK & imei still present.

I tried some of the other qpst apps to see if there was a dump/save image nothing obvious any suggestions on the right way to do it ?

Loaded EFS explorer it gave a directory tree but double clicking a .txt file gives an error.

Is SPC not 0000 ?

The display changes to android green man & it seems to have quit ftm mode as I can't load nv config.

While I was in the efs explorer I noticed a reset/reload counter file 4 bytes & six reset logs.

I'd guess that it's worth deleting them before returning any phone for service 'No I just turned it off & on again ...'.

Thanks.

(I realise I'm padding out the instructions I'm given but I'm trying to re-write it as a numpty guide for myself & anyone else that needs more detail than me.)

Chris

~~~~~