How to get rid of the ACER UI under 2.3.6?

Guest mountainchris

Guest mountainchris

Hi folks,

My phone has just been returned from Acer having had 2 new touch screens in the past month (both decided to freeze!)... anyway the operating system has updated itself to gingerbread (2.3.6) and there now appears to be no way of switching to Android UI (definitely had this option before phone was sent away). Can anyone help (is the option hidden somewhere?) I am using a Mac (not windows if I need to start getting techie!).

Many thanks for your help...

Guest stonebear

Hi folks,

My phone has just been returned from Acer having had 2 new touch screens in the past month (both decided to freeze!)... anyway the operating system has updated itself to gingerbread (2.3.6) and there now appears to be no way of switching to Android UI (definitely had this option before phone was sent away). Can anyone help (is the option hidden somewhere?) I am using a Mac (not windows if I need to start getting techie!).

The option does not exist anymore, weird that they would drop it but they did.

You could install the AOSP version of this http://android.modaco.com/topic/336646-rom-236-tl-metal/

Hi folks,

try this, worked for me

http://android.modaco.com/topic/347084-how-to-get-rid-of-the-acer-ui-under-235/

Guest stonebear

try this, worked for me

http://android.modac...r-ui-under-235/

I just tried it, it gives me the Android lockscreen at least. Only thing is I also lost the pulldown with shortcuts and I like that so I swapped back.

I notice there is a line in build.prop about Acer shell contacts so that can probably be changed to disabled to get the AOSP contacts as well, but I am not gonna try it without asking advice first.

Edited by stonebear

Guest t0m3czek

I just tried it, it gives me the Android lockscreen at least. Only thing is I also lost the pulldown with shortcuts and I like that so I swapped back.

I notice there is a line in build.prop about Acer shell contacts so that can probably be changed to disabled to get the AOSP contacts as well, but I am not gonna try it without asking advice first.

It works. Did you install new launcher as stated in instruction?

Guest stonebear

It works. Did you install new launcher as stated in instruction?

I didn't say it didn't work. It's just, what is the difference apart from the lockscreen and pulldown? I was already using ADW Launcher anyway. :)

Edited by stonebear