Ice Cream Sandwich source code is out: I have just a question

Guest ltpitt

Hi all!

It's just a question to understand (a little) more of the whole thing.

When someone has the source of Ice Cream Sandwich how can it be built on my liquid metal?

It should be built on an android emulator and then flashed into the device?

What about "drivers"?

I'm not looking for technical detailed answers, just a very simple and brief "for dummies" explanation :)

Guest scotth324

I am interested as well. I've been searching for a guide per say on how to make a rom from code. It must be done somehow but it is not documented. I would like to learn more so I could make exactly what I want somehow.

Having the source code for ICS and being able to build a complete ROM are 2 very different things.

The ICS source code contains the base set of elements required to build the linux kernel and the android platform infrastructure

although the linux kernal does come prebuilt so for the most part people just leave it as standard.

It does not include any Device specific elements like drivers. As such it is not really possible to build a working ROM

from just the ICS source code - in addition you require a complementary set of source code for all the device drivers

for you specific device, more significantly for phone devices the source code or a ROM for a compatible radio base

is also required.

Part of the reason why device manufactures drag the chain so much with updated device ROMs is that it has been

pretty much historically the case that each new Android version requires a rework of driver and other supporting code.

Now having said all this . . .

http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html has all the details on how to build the source.

You will need to be on a MAC or LINUX system to make use of this source code.

Also there is a good set of videos on youtube that talk thru build processes

Cheers

Westa

Guest Chrisund123

If you have to ask how to build a rom from the source, chances are you're not going to be able to do it.

There's a thread on xda for the source build for Desire HD, they've been at it non-stop for the last 2 days and they still aren't even close :lol:

Guest Chrisund123

Absolutely, by all means have a go - just keep a realistic perspective on things!

The dhd guys have just got a source build to boot up, but they borrowed a lot from cm7 - a luxury mt doesn't have lol.

Good luck to anyone who tries! :)

Guest chris_kozani

personally i believe that acer will give officially ics to metal.This time they sell phone with gingerbread so an update will be psysical continue.Also i dont see any new phone from them that compares to metal.And the release of the bigger acer iconia smart goes further and further...

Edited by chris_kozani

personally i believe that acer will give officially ics to metal.This time they sell phone with gingerbread so an update will be psysical continue.Also i dont see any new phone from them that compares to metal.And the release of the bigger acer iconia smart goes further and further...

Selling the phone with Gingerbread doesn't mean they're more likely to update it to ICS. If they've already developed Gingerbread to be pushed to phones that sold with Froyo then it's just logical to sell it with new phones.

The Liquid has had it's one upgrade to a newer version of Gingerbread and generally OEM's only update to one newer version e.g. Hero 1.5 to 2.1, Orange San Fran 2.2 to 2.3. Of course, there have been exceptions e.g. the Desire and Motorola Droid which both went from 2.1 to 2.3 IIRC but those were very popular phones compared to the Liquid hence the reason the OEM has more of an incentive to provide an extra update.

It's true that Acer don't really have a higher specced phone than the Liquid Metal (on sale) but in reality this phone is pretty mid range compared to other phones on the Market.