Galaxy Nexus and Google Wallet

Guest Beingageek

Guest Beingageek

So I figured I'd ask, just got my Galaxy Nexus today, has anyone hacked Google Wallet on to this thing yet? If not, I'd be curious to know how I could help get this on here.

Guest Beingageek

With no supported Google Wallet payment terminals, i fail to see what the point would be?

Over where I live, we can use google wallet with the transit system. They just started doing a pilot with it.

Guest Beingageek

Google Wallet should work at all contactless payment terminals.

P

Paul, you don't happen to have it working on your Galaxy Nexus do you? I tried the latest APK and it wouldn't even install.

Guest shenshang

The Google Wallet app just emulates your card on paypass, so it should definitely work on any contactless payment terminal that supports paypass. However, the apk does not work on the Galaxy Nexus.

Google Wallet should work at all contactless payment terminals.

P

really?

I didn't know that!

so if I go into greggs (the only place I've seen in Leeds that does contactless payments) and I have NFC and google wallet it would work?

So far I've managed to get it to launch and have configured a PIN, but I'm using the MoDaCo ROM which apparently fails when it comes to this:

post-945936-0-51437200-1322354871_thumb.

Any suggestions for sneaking in access to the SE?

DO NOT USE THIS. GO HERE INSTEAD!

Success!

logcat told me it was failing due to merely a missing permission; nothing more - the slightly-secured NFCEE_ADMIN permission wasn't in my installed version of the apk...

So, using the "googlewalletfix_1.1R38v5_ICS_aok.zip" file (Google for it) - I did the following (with MoDaCo custom ROM):

Flashed MoDaCo, flashed googlewalletfix, reboot to "proper"

Found Google Wallet wasn't installed

Open root terminal, cd to /mnt/sdcard/gw/

mount -o remount,rw /data/system

cp system/app/NfcGoogle.apk /system/app/NfcGoogle.apk

cp system/app/Wallet.apk /system/app/Wallet.apk

...and it worked. Magically.

So there you have it. A Brit getting Google Wallet working on a Galaxy Nexus. Haven't tried payments yet, let's see if it fails.

Some images:

post-945936-0-47546300-1322358998_thumb.post-945936-0-11281600-1322359002_thumb.post-945936-0-43250600-1322359006_thumb.

Edited by lukegb

Guest Watso4183

Success!

logcat told me it was failing due to merely a missing permission; nothing more - the slightly-secured NFCEE_ADMIN permission wasn't in my installed version of the apk...

So, using the "googlewalletfix_1.1R38v5_ICS_aok.zip" file (Google for it) - I did the following (with MoDaCo custom ROM):

Flashed MoDaCo, flashed googlewalletfix, reboot to "proper"

Found Google Wallet wasn't installed

Open root terminal, cd to /mnt/sdcard/gw/

mount -o remount,rw /data/system

cp system/app/NfcGoogle.apk /system/app/NfcGoogle.apk

cp system/app/Wallet.apk /system/app/Wallet.apk

...and it worked. Magically.

So there you have it. A Brit getting Google Wallet working on a Galaxy Nexus. Haven't tried payments yet, let's see if it fails.

Some images:

post-945936-0-47546300-1322358998_thumb.post-945936-0-11281600-1322359002_thumb.post-945936-0-43250600-1322359006_thumb.

Do you mean

cp /mnt/sdcard/gw/NfcGoogle.apk /system/app/NfcGoogle.apk

cp /mnt/sdcard/gw/Wallet.apk /system/app/Wallet.apk

Guest Watso4183

I Google'd it, it just came up with your post on XDA. Any help here?

All Credit to LukeGB on this one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1311072

Its the ICS version.

(I think linking to the thread show be no issue. Please let me know if it is and I will remove)

More precise directions:

Factory reset from Recovery (I also wiped /system, but idk if this matters)

Install MoDaCo Custom Rom.

Install googlewalletfix_1.1R38v5_ICS_aok.zip.

Boot up and run the normal initial android setup.

In windows explorer, copy from the googlewalletfix_1.1r38v5_ICS_aok.zip

Wallet.apk and NfcGoogle.apk from the \system\app folder to download folder in your nexus.

Remount /system/data as RW (i used android commander for this bit. Root Explorer would also do the trick)

copy the two APKs from above to /system/app

Your Google wallet should be working now.

I just went to McDonalds (only place open at this time of night) and it worked!

Still not working:

Add Citicard to Google Wallet.

Guest Watso4183

Are you in the US though? Can you add any Visa card to it?

Is the wipe a total necessity?

I guess I could nandroid and try it.

I'm in US using a citi card that is PayPass eligible.

Guest AndyCr15

I tried it all, worked fine. I even got given $10 by Google on a Pre-paid card?

I've then restored my nandroid and followed the procedure, it seems to have worked, no need to wipe perhaps then?

I wont know if it works on the contactless payment systems in the UK until next week though...

... I've just re-booted to see, and mine is closing too now. :(

Do you mean

cp /mnt/sdcard/gw/NfcGoogle.apk /system/app/NfcGoogle.apk

cp /mnt/sdcard/gw/Wallet.apk /system/app/Wallet.apk

No, because I'd just cd'd to /mnt/sdcard/gw, and unpacking the zip which is meant to be flashed generates a system/app directory underneath it ;)

Guest earthling0001

Yup. FC's for me now. I suspect I know the cause, and I'll get back to you on that in just a second ;)

I'm really hoping someone can post a single zip file here that we can flash onto a stock Google ROM (just rooted) that will 'just work'! ;)

DO NOT USE THIS ZIP. GO HERE INSTEAD!

Here's a zip file. It probably won't "just work" and you may need to perform some other actions:

1. BACK UP /data/system/packages.xml SOMEWHERE SAFE!
  2. Open /data/system/packages.xml for editing SOMEHOW. (I would suggest adb pull/adb push for editing)
  3. Find the shared-user section that refers to "android.uid.nfc"
  4. DELETE all of that section.
  5. Restart.
Do this only if you know and understand the risks involved. Note that Google Wallet's ToS specifically precludes users from installing it on a device that's not running stock firmware.

Good luck out there.

googlewalletfix_1.1R38v5_ICS_aok_galaxynexus.zip

Edited by lukegb

Guest Man_Utd

Do this only if you know and understand the risks involved. Note that Google Wallet's ToS specifically precludes users from installing it on a device that's not running stock firmware.

I'm a little baffled. Why would they put out that sort of requirement? Doesn't Google want people to use GW? You can only use it on the NS 4G version, not a whole lot of options.

Appreciate the effort!