What's the best mod?

Guest SuperSkill

Guest Carbonize

Something must of changed recently then as I can make calls and receive/send texts just fine it's only the Mobile data that keeps dropping sporadically. Or do you just mean the GB Baseband works for calls/texts but has issues with data?

Guest Macheath

Some ppl report signal loss, some report no data connection and some report no calling possible.

It depends on your provider, what bug you get.

Guest SuperSkill

Yeah, new KANG online since a 'long' time due to technical problems from CM.smile.gif

Mind leaving a link?? Thanks :)

Edited by SuperSkill

Guest Carbonize

I've switched to Miui due to the data issue with your Kang. I used Gr5 for a while and it was very stable but I missed the extra whistles and bells. I reinstalled a vanilla build of CM7 (204) and it didn't seem to have the same data problem.

There was a big issue in Miui though with the GPS not working right. I managed ot get it working but still not 100% on how.

Guest Macheath

Mind leaving a link?? Thanks :)

Look in my signature ;)

@Carbonize

Data loss/connection issues have nothing to do with my KANG. There might be conflicting files in /data or /cache partition causing this. Do a full wipe (data, cache, system) and flash again. There are many bugs solved since nightly #204 and no new network issues introduced.

Be in mind that disabling or enabling clock sync might also help. For me it is enabling, for a lot of ppl it is disabling to get no data issues.

Edited by Macheath

Guest Carbonize

As I said my data connection was stable in the last nightly build which was 204. Maybe one of the changes introduced since then is the cause of the problem.

And to add I always wipe everything before flashing a new rom. I do a factory reset which formats both data and cache then I mount and format the system then wipe the dalvik cache.

Guest Carbonize

Just as you think,..... yet you're the first person of whom I hear about that.

Some ppl report signal loss, some report no data connection and some report no calling possible.

It depends on your provider, what bug you get.

So obviously not the first you have heard of it but as I said the vanilla build of 204 did not suffer from this problem in the few hours I was using it which makes me suspect a recent patch. Given that it took me a lot of fiddling to get GPS to work on Miui and that it appears to have a bug in it that is eating battery I'll probably be back to CM7 soon unless LG has pushed out ICS by then (like that's going to happen anytime soon).

Guest Macheath

So obviously you quote something completely wrong!

In your quote from me, I was talking about using the wrong baseband and the consequences! There are NO reports like yours.

Edited by Macheath

Guest Carbonize

You mean I'm the first person to say my connection was completely stable using baseband 725 on CM7 build 204? Otherwise I quoted you correctly.

Guest Macheath

guy, are you kidding me?

I told you not to use any baseband than the BB218! There will be no network problems and now get on someone else nerves.

Guest Carbonize

Right, after speaking to some people who actually know what they are talking about I installed GetRIL from the market and just installed the RIL that matches my baseband and now no more data issues. Lot easier than installing a lot of drivers just to change your baseband and changing your baseband wipes your phone and things can go wrong as with most things that alter the actual phone. GetRIL doesn't even need you to reboot the phone as it just changes the Radio Interface Layer to your chosen one.

As to roms for the 2X.

Gr5 - Tried this for less than a day before going to Miui. Stable and does what you expect but then it is just the official 2X rom with some modifications. I missed the whistles and bells so jumped on to Miui.

Miui - I just tried Miui for about a week and I do think it's great with it's ease of customisation. It's default messaging app and browser are really good and it has extra features such as the inbuilt call filtering and anti spam. On the downside the GPS doesn't work on the 2X without some fiddling and the battery life wasn't that good.

CM7 - After getting fed up with Miui's battery life I've come back to a Kang of CM7. I have used CM7 extensively on my previous Android phones and you know exactly what you're going to get with it. No where near the customisation level of Miui but has more people working on it so more stability.

Now just waiting for the first ICS roms to come out for the 2X. We should be getting ICS roms from CM, Miui and an official LG one which I'm sure Paul or someone else will play with.