4 Apr Ir13 (IMM76D / 4.0.4 / CDMA + GSM): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest marcuso

Hi all,

I hope someone can give me a hint on the following issue:

I noticed that i have a huge amount of mobile-data traffic the last few days/weeks and as i have not installed any new app or changed behaviour i investigated and found it was "Google services - background-data" ..

As i have DISABLED ALL Google-Account sync topcis (e.g. fotos, calendar, mail etc ... ALL) i wondered what this was.

After some further investigation i found that others have the same problem (with other custom-roms) and the reason was that obviously some OTA Updates was (partly) downloaded ... when i check the update-section in system-info i see that some "download of 4.0.4 update failed" .. and even if i never got any notification it seems the OTA-Updates is always (partly) downloaded - and the data matches the mobile-data i am "loosing".

So the questions is:

Even if I am on a custom rom (currently MCR IR12 - wanted to wait for IMM76I-MCR) the OTA is downloaded automatically (but then fails) and no notification is shown also.

How do i prevent that ? - before having IMM76I-based ROM. I always thought a custom rom should not download OTA, but obviously it does (and was confirmed by others) ... maybe something new with ICS ?

I thought about modifying build.prop with most recent IMM76I fingerprint ? .. any side-effects if that does not match the ROM-base i have (IR12).

Or anything else i can do to prevent the downloading ? I need to stop this data-usage .. and obviously it is downloading the OTA again and again, but then fails at one point ...

Thx

Marcus

EDIT: Just to add ... I had the "4.0.2 build fingerprint" included in my rom-bake for IR12 .. so that is probably one reason why the OTA is downloaded.

But obviously the download (or probably the verification) fails - thats why it get re-downloaded. I now tried to delete the 4.0.2 build fingerprint from build.prop and added the 4.0.4 - IMM30B from IR12-base one instead. Now I get "system up-to-date" when checking for firmware updates again (instead of the "download failed") - probably because for IMM30B there is not OTA to IMM76I compared to IMM76D ?). Let´s hope this prevents anything from beeing downloaded - and using mobile data when not on WLAN. But anyway I would like to understand why the download happens (again and again) when one is on an old version and how to prevent that with a custom rom (MCR in this case).

EDIT2: discussion about this also ..

here: https://code.google....detail?id=30015

and here (in German though ;-): http://www.android-h...erbrauch-3.html

seems that this is quite confirmed (that OTA gets downloaded again and again) when using a custom rom <IMM76I .. question is just WHY and how to stop it !! ;-)

There will always be times between a new OTA available and new Custom-Rom build beeing available .. and i can´t risk to spend all my 300MB 3g-traffic to be spent for this.

Edited by marcuso

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fr0dzy

Hi all, I've used MoDaco for info and such for a fair while now. The other day my mate came to me raving about a custom rom he made in the Galaxy Nexus kitchen. So today I created an account and purchased AdFree with the intent of creating one myself. When I load the kitchen, the server it chooses for me is nigella.modaco.com and it always says LOW load. However, after choosing my customisations and clicking Build, it merely sits there saying "waiting for nigella.modaco.com" and thus far the longest I've waited is well over 2 hours (infact I think even over 3hrs). I've been advised by my mate that even on a higher load he's never waited more than 15 or 20mins. Can you advise if I am just being impatient or if there is an issue with nigella?? Thanks heaps! =)

Guest Brembo109

Hi all, I've used MoDaco for info and such for a fair while now. The other day my mate came to me raving about a custom rom he made in the Galaxy Nexus kitchen. So today I created an account and purchased AdFree with the intent of creating one myself. When I load the kitchen, the server it chooses for me is nigella.modaco.com and it always says LOW load. However, after choosing my customisations and clicking Build, it merely sits there saying "waiting for nigella.modaco.com" and thus far the longest I've waited is well over 2 hours (infact I think even over 3hrs). I've been advised by my mate that even on a higher load he's never waited more than 15 or 20mins. Can you advise if I am just being impatient or if there is an issue with nigella?? Thanks heaps! =)

This is an Issue, i baked one on Friday night, it started instantly and the download needed 5 minutes maximum

Guest Aspergillus

Same here waiting for nigella ... a bit frustrating. I'm used to the kitchens working fine but didnt bake for a while now.. now i need Id quick and it does not work.. Seems that I have to get the prebake and do the rest manually!

Hope the ktichen will be back soon.

Aspi

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PaulOBrien

Hey folks.

Prepping the Ir14 kitchen (GSM) and it'll be online soon. I'm also going to put up a test CDMA version initially so i'll be looking for willing volunteers.

Sorry it's so long since the update, but i'm 100% commited to updating to the latest release.

P

Guest Paulo Nobrega
Hey folks.

Prepping the Ir14 kitchen (GSM) and it'll be online soon. I'm also going to put up a test CDMA version initially so i'll be looking for willing volunteers.

Sorry it's so long since the update, but i'm 100% commited to updating to the latest release.

P

Glad to finally hear done news... That's all we were asking, news and a sign that you still remember gnexus topic:rolleyes:

Guest PaulOBrien

Glad to finally hear done news... That's all we were asking, news and a sign that you still remember gnexus topic:rolleyes:

I definitely do!

P

Guest Brembo109

Is it possible to make a new thread for ir14,because this one is really confusing after using it over the last few releases

Guest PaulOBrien

Is it possible to make a new thread for ir14,because this one is really confusing after using it over the last few releases

Can do...?

P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jr313

Will you be doing a AOSP jellybean rom from source for CDMA? I used your ICS rom and even a port from the gsm jellybean. Its been the smoothest of all the roms on my phone that I've used.