Mac Address help

Guest jcmyall

Guest jcmyall

Hey guys,

First things first, I want to say thank you so much to the person who came up with the unlock method. I'm really enjoying my Monte Carlo now I can run it on a different network.

I've had to flash my ROM again after faffing about with memory cards and I've come across a problem to do with the MAC address. My MAC address has gone and I can't seem to get it back. I've followed the guide tilal posted to get my MAC address back through the use of a Hex editor and it doesn't seem to have done anything. It still shows my MAC address as 11:22:33:44:55:66 in the About section in settings and my phone still won't connect to my network. I've also tried to TPT my phone back to stock and that still hasn't effected it.

Is there anything else I can do? This is getting me so frustrated and I think I'm going to throw the phone at a wall and make sure it smashes to pieces. haha.

Guest arnoldziq

Hey guys,

First things first, I want to say thank you so much to the person who came up with the unlock method. I'm really enjoying my Monte Carlo now I can run it on a different network.

I've had to flash my ROM again after faffing about with memory cards and I've come across a problem to do with the MAC address. My MAC address has gone and I can't seem to get it back. I've followed the guide tilal posted to get my MAC address back through the use of a Hex editor and it doesn't seem to have done anything. It still shows my MAC address as 11:22:33:44:55:66 in the About section in settings and my phone still won't connect to my network. I've also tried to TPT my phone back to stock and that still hasn't effected it.

Is there anything else I can do? This is getting me so frustrated and I think I'm going to throw the phone at a wall and make sure it smashes to pieces. haha.

1. Flash phone with stock ROM, for instance Orange one, to get recovery with FTM mode enabled.

2. Put phone in FTM mode.

3. Use QPST 2.7 build 366 Tool from Qualcomm to make a backup of your nv-items to qcn file.

4. Set your proper mac address with tool from here : Automatic QCN WiFi MAC patcher for Windows.

5. in FTM mode, write back changed file to the phone.

6. Done. Now you can play with custom ROM-s.

Edited by arnoldziq

Guest jcmyall

1. Flash phone with stock ROM, for instance Orange one, to get recovery with FTM mode enabled.

2. Put phone in FTM mode.

3. Use QPST 2.7 build 366 Tool from Qualcomm to make a backup of your nv-items to qcn file.

4. Set your proper mac address with tool from here : Automatic QCN WiFi MAC patcher for Windows.

5. in FTM mode, write back changed file to the phone.

6. Done. Now you can play with custom ROM-s.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried it and it still shows up on my phone as 11:22:33:44:55:66 and I still can't connect to the network. =/ Thanks anyway.

Guest philmein

Thanks for the reply.

I tried it and it still shows up on my phone as 11:22:33:44:55:66 and I still can't connect to the network. =/ Thanks anyway.

have you enabled root in ES File manager and also ticked mount file system

both in the settings of es file explorer

sound like the new mac address is not saving (read only)

thats why root and mount need ticking

Edited by philmein

Guest mikhd002

So ur saying that in order for the above method to work, you need to have es file explorer with root and file system mounting eneabled?

That info would have helped so much in last week, I spent a whole day trying to work out how to get it to save, and I tried at least 5 times following the tutorial exactly. Eventually I got bored, and I had to resort to the original method of changing the mac address manually with es file explorer, but I had to turn on the root and file system mounting (it wasnt turned on before)

Guest arnoldziq

What you talking about ?

You don need root access to use QPTS tool !!!

You need to be flashed with stock ROM without any modifications...

Guest mikhd002

What you talking about ?

You don need root access to use QPTS tool !!!

You need to be flashed with stock ROM without any modifications...

yes, but in whenever I restored the QPST file, it didn't change a thing, the MAC stayed as 11:22:33:44:55

Guest jcmyall

My guess is : you are restoring a wrong file.

So with ES File Explorer I managed to get wifi working again, it seems like I'm going to have to do that everytime I flash a different ROM on there.

I was having the same problem as mikhd002 in regards to using QPST. I did it several times and each making sure it was the correct .qcn file I was restoring to the phone. It still didn't seem to affect anything, which is weird because before I was having this problem it seemed to work perfectly the first time.

But yeah, thanks for the help anyway. Much appreciated :D

Guest mikhd002

So with ES File Explorer I managed to get wifi working again, it seems like I'm going to have to do that everytime I flash a different ROM on there.

I was having the same problem as mikhd002 in regards to using QPST. I did it several times and each making sure it was the correct .qcn file I was restoring to the phone. It still didn't seem to affect anything, which is weird because before I was having this problem it seemed to work perfectly the first time.

But yeah, thanks for the help anyway. Much appreciated :D

Same, exactly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest druplenas

Can't fix my zte skate - tried with tools to change 11:22:33:44:55:66, didn't work, tried with hexeditor, suceeded. Now i can't find 11:22...in QCN but it still shows in about phone/status as 11:22:33:44:55:66. Wifi connects/disconnects constantly. Now I'm changing mac, writing it to the phone (.qcn), but when i load it from phone its no longer there :(. Plz help.

Edited by druplenas

Guest jcmyall

Can't fix my zte skate - tried with tools to change 11:22:33:44:55:66, didn't work, tried with hexeditor, suceeded. Now i can't find 11:22...in QCN but it still shows in about phone/status as 11:22:33:44:55:66. Wifi connects/disconnects constantly. Now I'm changing mac, writing it to the phone (.qcn), but when i load it from phone its no longer there :(. Plz help.

When you search with the hex editor make sure you're searching for "Hex Values".

I've found that Cyanogen Mod doesn't have this problem. Try installing that Rom.

If you want to stick with your current ROM you're going to need data access from your network AND Root access on your phone. Go to the market and download ES File Explorer.

Open it and go to settings. Tick the last two boxes (run as root/ mount filesystem as writable). Go to the home directory and shorten it from "/sdcard/" to just "/".

Click okay, now come out of the settings.

Press the Back key on your phone and it should take you to "/" (Look at the top for the location).

Navigate to system/etc/nv4319.txt and open it as a text file with ES Text Editor. On this screen, scroll down until you see two lines with "macaddr" at the beginning.

Either, make up a new Mac Address (needs to be hex values (0-9 A-F) or delete the line with the mac address "11:22:33:44:55:66". If you delete the line, be sure to remove the # from the start of the previous line.

Press the menu button and hit save. Now you can exit ES File Explorer.

Disable then enable Wifi and it should be working!.