Do I have a faulty battery?

Guest Turisu

I'm currently getting good battery life out of my OMC; a couple of days with light use. The problem is that when the battery gets to about 30% it absolutely plummets for no discernible reason and is dead within an hour. I've also noticed that when I plug it into the charger it charges up to roughly 30% in a matter of minutes and thereafter charges at the normal rate. I've been through 3 charge cycles and it's done this every time.

I'm currently running CM7 and I calibrated the battery after installing the ROM. I've also checked for any apps that might be running but there are none. Does this sound like the battery may be faulty?

I have a pretty much similar behaviour here. I am using bluemonte and since I have a battery % indicator, I am paranoid about how my battery empties. I need to go back to the original little battery sign.

Guest dibbles

I am getting around three days or so with light use and CM7. It seems, albeit early days, to be similar to the blade in that respect.

Even though I see the percentage noted I do not pay too much attention to it but I have not noticed mine die within an hour when it gets to 30%. Are you overclocking at all..? I run mine between the lowest CPU speed and just over 900mhz with the "on demand" governor used.

Guest dadashi

You could go into the clockwork menu and reset battery statistics...that might help reset the battery charge measurement....search the forum here or the blade forum for more information...

Thanks for the replies. I'm not overclocking at all though I have lowered the minimum clock speed to 122MHz and I've used both the 'ondemand' and 'smartassv2' governors on separate charge cycles with the same result. I already wiped the battery stats when I installed CM7 (after a full charge), I'll try doing it again to be sure.

I think I'll order another battery and see what happens. I suppose I could reflash the stock ROM and return the phone but it seems like a lot of hassle considering that I am still getting a couple of days out of the battery which I consider to be very good. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced similar behaviour.

I was running 998MHz (could go higher but that is more than enough) on demand but I have reverted to original speed (787 MHz) yesterday to see what happens.

I don't think overclocking has anything to do with it as the phone spends most of its time at the lowest frequency (122 MHz) anyway but will see.

Guest dibbles

I looked at my CPU usage and noted that 65% of it is at 320mhz. 18% at 902mhz and 3% at 122mhz. So I guess that the governor is working fine. I have not noted anything strange under partial wakes.

Guest dadashi

I looked at my CPU usage and noted that 65% of it is at 320mhz. 18% at 902mhz and 3% at 122mhz. So I guess that the governor is working fine. I have not noted anything strange under partial wakes.

again i recommend you reset the battery statistics from clockwork.....

At the moment your system is missjudging your battery life and a statistics reset would sort that out, I wouldn't try to replace or swap the entire phone untill I had at least tried that...

AND IF your battery is really faulty, that's no great problem either. Phone orange and explain, they'll arrange to send you a new one and pick the faulty up at the same time...

again i recommend you reset the battery statistics from clockwork.....

At the moment your system is missjudging your battery life and a statistics reset would sort that out, I wouldn't try to replace or swap the entire phone untill I had at least tried that...

AND IF your battery is really faulty, that's no great problem either. Phone orange and explain, they'll arrange to send you a new one and pick the faulty up at the same time...

Right, I'll give that a go, thanks. Does it matter at what point in the cycle the stats are reset or can it be any time?

My battery life used to be amazing... now its terrable no matter wot I do or rom I use.. this is one of the reasons why I'm selling and getting the hauwei honor.. 1930mh battery supposedly gets 3 days usage.

But for the price of the OMC I can't complaint.

Guest painkiller_93

My battery life used to be amazing... now its terrable no matter wot I do or rom I use.. this is one of the reasons why I'm selling and getting the hauwei honor.. 1930mh battery supposedly gets 3 days usage.

But for the price of the OMC I can't complaint.

where are you gonna buy the huawei honor?

That makes for interesting reading but would that effect the battery usage graph as well, since that's what I'm basing my observations on?

Something else I've noticed that may be nothing but a friend of mine has a Wildfire which is running CM7.1 and has insanely good battery life. I notice that her phone's battery status always says "Not Charging" as opposed to my OMC's "Discharging" status. Is there any practical difference between these two statuses?

Guest dadashi

Merimobiles, or Phones 4U will have it January for£190 supposedly

that quite alot of money compared to the skate at £119...you never know, I think the honor will be well over £250...

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the box my battery had some charge in it, which I ran down a little bit then recharged to full capacity after reading the instructions more carefully. The battery was about dead after around a day's playing with, during which time all I've done is unlock by following the tutorial on here. The phone was even switched off at night. I started charging it close to 20 hours ago and it's still only at 84%.

Is this normal? Do I have a dud battery or have I knackered it somehow?

Out of the box my battery had some charge in it, which I ran down a little bit then recharged to full capacity after reading the instructions more carefully. The battery was about dead after around a day's playing with, during which time all I've done is unlock by following the tutorial on here. The phone was even switched off at night. I started charging it close to 20 hours ago and it's still only at 84%.

Is this normal? Do I have a dud battery or have I knackered it somehow?

I was experiencing short battery life as well when I first got the phone. Turned out that the Skate port of CM7 has a bluetooth bug that prevents the phone from sleeping properly when bluetooth is enabled. So I disabled that and battery improved, but it still wasn't as good as I would like (just over a day with light use). Then I noticed that the vast majority of battery was being used by mobile standby so I switched the phone to 2G only, now my battery lasts around 3-4 days :). It's still discharging really quickly when it gets to around 30% but I don't mind now that I'm getting decent life out of it.

Then I noticed that the vast majority of battery was being used by mobile standby so I switched the phone to 2G only, now my battery lasts around 3-4 days :). It's still discharging really quickly when it gets to around 30% but I don't mind now that I'm getting decent life out of it.

Thanks Turisu. I'm still on stock Orange ROM. The charging seemed to stick at 85% this afternoon, so I had a quick play with the phone for half an hour and that lost 10% again, so back to charging and that's now over 24 hours in total charging time and still not 100%. Probably about 80% again now.

I also saw the mobile standby usage but wasn't sure what to do about that, so will try switching to 2G only. Wifi was another battery hog, so I disabled that for the time being.

Did you or anyone else have problems restoring to full charge?

Did you or anyone else have problems restoring to full charge?

What I found was that the phone would charge really fast up to a certain percentage (I mean stupidly fast!) and then slow down to a more 'normal' charging rate but it should never take more than a couple of hours. If you're charging via USB, perhaps try it with the mains adapter and vice versa.

I'd recommend doing a full wipe and installing a custom ROM (I'm using the CM7 port myself) then charge to 100% and wipe the battery stats as described above. Don't install any unnecessary apps and turn off all the power-hungry system features (WiFi, bluetooth, 3G, etc.) then see how long your battery lasts. As I said I'm currently getting between 3-4 days out of mine.