What do I think of my new Acer? Crap

Guest basem1970

Guest basem1970

I had my new Acer for few days now. I rooted it, installed gingerunay but I am very disappointed with it. I used to use orange san francisco (OLED screen) with cyanogen7 and i was expecting massive improvement by going to Acer but i was wrong. Yes the Acer is slightly faster with longer battery life but the screen is pants...I had the same picture on both phones next to each other..The picture on SF looks vivid and lively while it looks washed and awful on the Acer. Also the sound quality on the Acer is awful...i called many friends and i always had noisy sound through the phone..no way as clear as the SF...Sadly after all the excitement and wasting a weekend rooting and flashing Rom I think i will sell the acer and go back to SF

Guest lodotux

may be you should go back yes...

and may be you should stay with a regular phone now... if you spend a whole week end flashing and rooting it, obviously, you should ...

Anyway, acer's not the best, but you can hardly brick their devices, metal has a great screen, even better than the famous samsung galaxy SII, and it also have Dolby mobile...

vache did a great job making a good rom, fast and stable, and if you don't like his work, there are some roms you could try too.

have a nice day.

Edited by lodotux

Guest basem1970

the reason i took long time to root it is that i could not findthe acer drivers easily (not available on Acer web site)..it was only a helpful member on this forum who guided me. Also I did not creticise the rom as it is, as you said, stable and fast. My main issues are the call sound quality and the screen. Now how you can say that the screen is better than the samsung is beyond me

Guest Tiny Jacky

I also come to liquid metal from san francisco(lost), and what you said is very true...The screen on SF is just much more vivid

But low internal storage is much more annoying for me... always no space even after link2sd/app2sd :(

Guest chemicalbuz

the reason i took long time to root it is that i could not findthe acer drivers easily (not available on Acer web site)..it was only a helpful member on this forum who guided me. Also I did not creticise the rom as it is, as you said, stable and fast. My main issues are the call sound quality and the screen. Now how you can say that the screen is better than the samsung is beyond me

drivers are on acer website! just install acer sync software, easiest way possible

I also come to liquid metal from san francisco(lost), and what you said is very true...The screen on SF is just much more vivid

But low internal storage is much more annoying for me... always no space even after link2sd/app2sd :(

A new version of titanium backup was released today and it supports easily moving som more files from /data to /system, which gave me an additional 30mb. At least it's something ;)

Guest billybiro

I had my new Acer for few days now. I rooted it, installed gingerunay but I am very disappointed with it. I used to use orange san francisco (OLED screen) with cyanogen7 and i was expecting massive improvement by going to Acer but i was wrong. Yes the Acer is slightly faster with longer battery life but the screen is pants...I had the same picture on both phones next to each other..The picture on SF looks vivid and lively while it looks washed and awful on the Acer. Also the sound quality on the Acer is awful...i called many friends and i always had noisy sound through the phone..no way as clear as the SF...Sadly after all the excitement and wasting a weekend rooting and flashing Rom I think i will sell the acer and go back to SF

Being in a similar situation and having used an OLED-screened San Fran for some time, I have to admit that the Acer's screen just doesn't compare to the San Fran's. It appears to be mostly a colour reproduction thing. The San Fran's screen looks very bright, crisp and with vivid colours. The Acer's screen in comparison does indeed looked "washed out". I know they're two different display types, but I wonder if the extra curved plastic coating in front of the Acer's screen isn't making the problem worse.

Guest TechnoLover

I just wanted you to know, that both phones have their positives and their negatives. In addition you should know, that everybody has his own opinion of which display he likes. I like for example the display of the Galaxy S II, the Galaxy S and the Liquid MT but the normal Liquid just has to less colors for me. You're are arguing with things, that everybody has his own opinion, so you arguing forever... I hope you get the point.

And please don't reduce a phone on one thing... The Orange SF has "maybe" a crappy processor for example, is the whole phone crap? No. The Liquid MT has "maybe" a crappy display, is the whole phone crap? No.

Edited by TechnoLover

I just wanted you to know, that both phones have their positives and their negatives. In addition you should know, that everybody has his own opinion of which display he likes. I like for example the display of the Galaxy S II, the Galaxy S and the Liquid MT but the normal Liquid just has to less colors for me. You're are arguing with things, that everybody has his own opinion, so you arguing forever... I hope you get the point.

And please don't reduce a phone on one thing... The Orange SF has "maybe" a crappy processor for example, is the whole phone crap? No. The Liquid MT has "maybe" a crappy display, is the whole phone crap? No.

Yeah, I too like the AMOLED screens of the Galaxy S series, some say the're too rich but I think they look nice, others may say the HTC Sensation's screen looks 'washed out' but I quite like the qHD resolution which means you can fit more on screen and don't really agree that it's dull. Personally, I don't think the MT's screen is much better/worse than my old LCD OSF's, I guess the pixel density is slightly lower since the OSF has the same resolution on a smaller screen compared to the Liquid.

Indeed, while the OSF's screen might be better, the MT's chipset, screen size and (possibly) build quality could all be considered superior but by no means does this make the OSF 'crap'. I don't think the OP was really fair to compared an OLED screen to an LCD.

Guest lodotux

to add to my problems my acer is now stuck at the starting android screen for the last 2 hours..any suggestions please

I'm really sorry if my post leads you to think i was being rude :/ that was not the point

For now, if you're stuck in a bootloop with you MT, you should take of the battery, adn try to reflash the whole thing again.

If you want massive improvement, don't buy a mid-level 1 year old phone...

The MT is currently the best bang for the buck Android phone on the market, it's a very good smartphone but has a few weak spots. Sorry you were disappointed but give it a chance and I'm sure you'll like this device very much :)

Guest sambartle

I've moved over from a Blade/San Fran to the LiquidMT (I had no choice as I've smashed my screen on the blade) and you are right about the screen its not quite as good.. (I had access to one OLED (girlfriends) and one TFT blade (mine))..

It does however stop being noticeable after a very short while and I have to say that in general the LiquidMT is the better device.

The sound quality I actually found the reverse to be true, the LiquidMT is significantly better in my opinion, the battery life is amazing compared to the blade, the WiFi works properly when the phones asleep (i think this is fixed on the SF now.. but its taken a year), the original ROM is pretty decent and regularly updated, the drivers and source are up to date and easily available on the website..

The only issue for me is the lack of CM7 support, although people are working on this and if some source becomes available I'd be happy to help out.. None of the custom ROMs are as stable as I'd like so im using a heavily modified AOSP-ified version of the Acer official ROM.

The performance is significantly better and the fact that its ARMv7 instead of v6 is a huge bonus.. flash works properly.. and World of Goo is 100% playable and perfect on the LiquidMT..

The build quality also is at least equal to if not better than the blade which felt a bit fragile (and proved to be when I dropped mine)

I'm actually really really pleased with mine.. although the lack of storage without Link2SD is disappointing.. the blade was better there for sure.

I'd be happy to try and help out if theres things annoying you that the blade could do ... (I wouldn't have bought the LM if I hadn't broken my blade as it was the best value for money phone ever.. although equally I wouldn't swap back now if i had the option)

I've moved over from a Blade/San Fran to the LiquidMT (I had no choice as I've smashed my screen on the blade) and you are right about the screen its not quite as good.. (I had access to one OLED (girlfriends) and one TFT blade (mine))..

It does however stop being noticeable after a very short while and I have to say that in general the LiquidMT is the better device.

The sound quality I actually found the reverse to be true, the LiquidMT is significantly better in my opinion, the battery life is amazing compared to the blade, the WiFi works properly when the phones asleep (i think this is fixed on the SF now.. but its taken a year), the original ROM is pretty decent and regularly updated, the drivers and source are up to date and easily available on the website..

The only issue for me is the lack of CM7 support, although people are working on this and if some source becomes available I'd be happy to help out.. None of the custom ROMs are as stable as I'd like so im using a heavily modified AOSP-ified version of the Acer official ROM.

The performance is significantly better and the fact that its ARMv7 instead of v6 is a huge bonus.. flash works properly.. and World of Goo is 100% playable and perfect on the LiquidMT..

The build quality also is at least equal to if not better than the blade which felt a bit fragile (and proved to be when I dropped mine)

I'm actually really really pleased with mine.. although the lack of storage without Link2SD is disappointing.. the blade was better there for sure.

I find the sound quality over the phone isn't that great, not sure whether that's the phone or my network since it was similar with my Hero and OSF. When playing music it's quite good. I agree the battery life is very good and Wi-Fi is solid, plus it has 'N' networking if I'm not mistaken. Acer's speed at getting incremental updates out has also been pleasing.

CM7 support would be nice. Just curious, are you using your own AOSPified version of the official ROM?

Yeah the internal storage is a bummer, it's a shame we can't re-partition as easily as the Blade could but I guess we can't have everything.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest sambartle

CM7 support would be nice. Just curious, are you using your own AOSPified version of the official ROM?

Yes i've just pulled out all the bits I wanted from a blade rom or some googling for AOSP zip's and merged them across.. i've broken a few things in the process so i'm slowly patching those up. I'm considering trying out the T&LMetal_AOSP build and putting my changes and apps in there as i've heard good things about it.. (basically I just shove all the google stuff and a few other things into /system since the partitions cant be resized)

Just my two cents:

I've paid MT just a few bucks it has all the possibilities and function I'd ask from a FAR superior smartphone.

MAINLY thanks to our cooks.

Otherwise I could say it would be a very limited and frustrating device.

On the hardware side I find it perfect for its cost.

Camera is horrible, screen is not outstanding but... Remember the price you paid :)

We get a good (and overclockable) cpu and a fair gpu. Gaming is fast and fun.

The internal storage problem is completely solved - at least for me - with link2sd.

The community - very important thing - is growing and followed by nice people and good experts.

I am an happy user. :)

Guest YurickHarmon

As an australian user, I paid $129 for the phone (outright), and it uses NextG (3.5g HSDPA, in Australia this is known as the 850mhz band and is significantly faster and further reaching that its current competitors, and of course any phone that can use it gets a premium slapped on the price). To give you an indication of comparitive pricing, the Wildfire S (i would argue an inferior phone) is $199 at its cheapest and the only other competitor in my country for the $100-$140 price bracket is the samsung galaxy 5 (which has a terrible screen resolution).

If you take all this into consideration, there is no single phone that can compete with the acer liquid metal (within the aforementioned price bracket), to the extent that they have sold out from their supplier (JB Hifi, a large electrical retailer with large buying power) within approximately a month of their release here. The closest i know of in terms of specifications is the Huawei X5, which sold for ~$250 here before it reached end of line.

Combine this with a modding community that is gaining members quite quickly, I am extremely happy with my Liquid Metal, and even more impressed with acer (first a 2.3.5 then a 2.3.6 update is unheard of for such a cheap phone over here).

Good battery life, reasonably high screen resolution with above average wifi and data speeds, and the only real con i have with the Liquid Metal is its abysmally small storage space, which i have completely mitigated with A2SD via Gingerounay. I find no deal breakers here, and a hell of a lot of effort on Acers part in making sure this phone is everything it could be for their users, I've been raving about my phone since I got it, and a number of my friends have also bought them in their search for a cheap smartphone that will still give them what a smartphone should be.

Yes, there is room for improvement in the hardware, but I can see no way to do so without considerably increasing the price tag. A winning combination that can't be beaten in my local market has earned Acer a lot of respect over here, and bought themselves a foothold within a highly competitive market.

Kudos Acer, Kudos.

As an australian user, I paid $129 for the phone (outright), and it uses NextG (3.5g HSDPA, in Australia this is known as the 850mhz band and is significantly faster and further reaching that its current competitors, and of course any phone that can use it gets a premium slapped on the price). To give you an indication of comparitive pricing, the Wildfire S (i would argue an inferior phone) is $199 at its cheapest and the only other competitor in my country for the $100-$140 price bracket is the samsung galaxy 5 (which has a terrible screen resolution).

If you take all this into consideration, there is no single phone that can compete with the acer liquid metal (within the aforementioned price bracket), to the extent that they have sold out from their supplier (JB Hifi, a large electrical retailer with large buying power) within approximately a month of their release here. The closest i know of in terms of specifications is the Huawei X5, which sold for ~$250 here before it reached end of line.

Combine this with a modding community that is gaining members quite quickly, I am extremely happy with my Liquid Metal, and even more impressed with acer (first a 2.3.5 then a 2.3.6 update is unheard of for such a cheap phone over here).

Good battery life, reasonably high screen resolution with above average wifi and data speeds, and the only real con i have with the Liquid Metal is its abysmally small storage space, which i have completely mitigated with A2SD via Gingerounay. I find no deal breakers here, and a hell of a lot of effort on Acers part in making sure this phone is everything it could be for their users, I've been raving about my phone since I got it, and a number of my friends have also bought them in their search for a cheap smartphone that will still give them what a smartphone should be.

Yes, there is room for improvement in the hardware, but I can see no way to do so without considerably increasing the price tag. A winning combination that can't be beaten in my local market has earned Acer a lot of respect over here, and bought themselves a foothold within a highly competitive market.

Kudos Acer, Kudos.

Total quote!

Huge respect to your detailed and keen analysis. :)

Sent from my Liquid MT using Tapatalk

Kudos Acer, Kudos.

i agree!

+1