[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest andromaniac

Is there a way of remotely restoring a nandroid backup (without using CWM)? If so, how? If not, can you completely wipe the internal mem. of the phone remotely?

(Cryptic, I know)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KEZZY1965

Hi Guys,

When I try and download Bouncer5 files from multiupload.co.uk, it trys to download some app called 'ilivid'????

Are the old file links dead? Do I require ilivid ?

On the depositfiles.com site, after the countdown, I get the mesage:

"This file does not exist, the access to the following file is limited or it has been removed due to infringement of copyright. "

Am I doing something wrong here?

Guest Dazzozo

The actual unlock procedure doesn't require a custom ROM, though I think these files were packaged to wipe the device during the unlock, assuming you were about to install a custom ROM.

You might just be better off unlocking it and then reinstalling the stock ROM. The unlock persists no matter what you do to the phone memory.

Guest The Alpha Gamer

It's the flashing of any rom that makes me anxious, plus my mum worries that doing anything, including just rooting a phone will break it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MUF DVR

Here's my up to date guide to try and keep the knowledge in one place. Apart from the entire history of this thread, much of this is based on the information (and files, especially the Vivacity_Unlock file :) ) at http://www.getandroi...acity-for-free/ which came highly recommended (in this thread), particularly because the (eg Bouncer5's) links to unlock.zip for the Vivacity are dead here on Modaco (one link persisted but it was 29Mband I never verified (remembered) its source or author) hence let new users skip this 22 page how-to and get going faster.

1. Using a stock ROM, eg, new out of the box, with a good charge:
  2. Write down MAC for wifi (and BT), optional, unused.
  3. Install drivers (driver.rar) so phone is detected, essential, Windows is stoopid.
  4. You may be informed of a COM port when you next connect your phone, if so use this one in step (9).
  5. Get a ROM, for your ZTE Crescent, Fish N Chips comes tailored to either TMV or OSFII, others require special kernels (see eg, Bouncer5's post).
  6. Get that ROM onto SD's root, rename it update.zip.
  7. Install QPST (I use 2.7 build 366).
  8. Reboot into FTM mode (hold power and vol- until "FTM" appears).
  9. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->QPST Configuration”. Port tab. Click “Add New Port”. Some say the left box displays COM5, I had COM4 before installing ZTE USB driver and additionally COM24 after. Use the port the ZTE USB driver gives you. Close “QPST Configuration”.
  10. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->Software Download".
  11. Choose Backup tab, select destination, click Start button, ensure 100% and file: DEADD00D_*.qcn is present (eg 153kb).
  12. Extract Unlock_Vivacity (or similar) and run download.exe.
  13. If you get an error pop-up about "arm**" not present/working you need to check (ie repeat) driver installation.
  14. Otherwise download.exe will present the option to unlock your device. START. Takes about 2 minutes, phone will restart. Ensure this window displays "PASS", then close it.
  15. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->Software Download" as in step (10).
  16. Choose Restore tab, select your DEADD00D_*.qcn file from step (11). Ensure COM port used in step (9) is showing then click the Start button.
  17. If unsuccessful then select “Allow Phone/File ESN mismatch” checkbox and repeat. Note: This info is sketchy I have not tried it despite being nominally unsuccessful (99% followed by reboot of phone and QPST error message. WiFi MAC was still restored though) I was left in CWM which I don’t imagine would make a good starting point to repeat the restore from (use FTM but then you may struggle getting CWM back (as I did once I had flashed my new ROM)).
  18. Congratulations your phone is now unlocked and you are back in the safe hands of CWM. Choose a new ROM, I don’t think you can revert to the ROM you started with anymore but must instead load any appropriate zipped one (update.zip etc which may be the stock starting ROM). Beyond the scope of this post...

What would you do if you had already installed a customised ROM and needed to temporarily revert to the Orange stock ROM in order to unlock the phone?

Would you need to carry out this process every time you switch to a new ROM?

Guest surfungus

New unlock link for

For San Francisco 2 ONLY

unlock osf2 http://www.mediafire.com/?8tl8qrcz3txx5gj

For TMV ONLY

TMV unlock http://www.mediafire.com/?d12g0u1dnq8b9f5 (thanks to getandroidfree.com)

ADB.zip http://www.mediafire.com/?bvgn0wfpyyry5qn

Driver + setup.zip http://www.mediafire.com/?7fib9221t37cti1

QPST 2.7 http://www.mediafire.com/?236iya223icmifi

I think this is the original folder from ztecrescent.blogspot.com. It contains:

drivers, QPST, ADB, Fastboot, download.exe.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ym5dfoctqptxqj9

Hope it helps...

Edited by surfungus

Guest MUF DVR

Here is how I flashed my custom ROM to my ZTE Crescent, realised it wasn't unlocked, reflashed the stock Orange ROM, unlocked it and then reflashed my custom ROM (you can only unlock your phone to use other SIM cards if it is operating the stock Orange ROM):

I followed the instructions on this page to get my phone ready to install a custom ROM: http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/unlock-orange-san-francisco-ii/how-to-unlock-the-orange-san-francisco-ii-for-free/

When it comes to the part near the end where it says "Install zip from SDcard", I went to this site and installed the Cyanogenmod 9 ROM by Dazzozzo:

I then realised I had to revert to stock ROM to unlock, so I simply followed the same instructions, except when it came to "Install zip from SDcard", I installed the stock ROM that was relevant to my phone (ie. the newest one) listed on this topic:

Then I followed the instructions listed above by Brownian to unlock and then I put back on my custom ROM in the final steps:

1 Using a stock ROM, eg, new out of the box, with a good charge:

2. Write down MAC for wifi (and BT), optional, unused.

3. Install drivers (driver.rar) so phone is detected, essential, Windows is stoopid.

4. You may be informed of a COM port when you next connect your phone, if so use this one in step (9).

5. Get a ROM, for your ZTE Crescent, Fish N Chips comes tailored to either TMV or OSFII, others require special kernels (see eg, Bouncer5's post).

6. Get that ROM onto SD's root, rename it update.zip.

7. Install QPST (I use 2.7 build 366).

8. Reboot into FTM mode (hold power and vol- until "FTM" appears).

9. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->QPST Configuration”. Port tab. Click “Add New Port”. Some say the left box displays COM5, I had COM4 before installing ZTE USB driver and additionally COM24 after. Use the port the ZTE USB driver gives you. Close “QPST Configuration”.

10. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->Software Download".

11. Choose Backup tab, select destination, click Start button, ensure 100% and file: DEADD00D_*.qcn is present (eg 153kb).

12. Extract Unlock_Vivacity (or similar) and run download.exe.

13. If you get an error pop-up about "arm**" not present/working you need to check (ie repeat) driver installation.

14. Otherwise download.exe will present the option to unlock your device. START. Takes about 2 minutes, phone will restart. Ensure this window displays "PASS", then close it.

15. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->Software Download" as in step (10).

16. Choose Restore tab, select your DEADD00D_*.qcn file from step (11). Ensure COM port used in step (9) is showing then click the Start button.

17. If unsuccessful then select “Allow Phone/File ESN mismatch” checkbox and repeat. Note: This info is sketchy I have not tried it despite being nominally unsuccessful (99% followed by reboot of phone and QPST error message. WiFi MAC was still restored though) I was left in CWM which I don’t imagine would make a good starting point to repeat the restore from (use FTM but then you may struggle getting CWM back (as I did once I had flashed my new ROM)).

18. Congratulations your phone is now unlocked and you are back in the safe hands of CWM. Choose a new ROM, I don’t think you can revert to the ROM you started with anymore but must instead load any appropriate zipped one (update.zip etc which may be the stock starting ROM). Beyond the scope of this post...

• 3 months later...
Guest Trampbottle

I have an unlocked T-Mobile Vivacity which I would like to root. Reading through this very long thread, there is a lot of helpful info about installing ROMs, but I don't want to change the ROM , just root the phone. Can anyone help?

Guest BLu3HaZe

I have an unlocked T-Mobile Vivacity which I would like to root. Reading through this very long thread, there is a lot of helpful info about installing ROMs, but I don't want to change the ROM , just root the phone. Can anyone help?

Easy, if on Windows, just do

1. Enable ADB on the phone and install drivers

2. Run the auto CWM installer (make sure you're connected to internet to download fastboot drivers from Windows Update)

3. Reboot into CWM

4. Flash the Superuser zip from the superuser site (Easy find on Google)

5. Reboot your phone and its rooted!

You can later flash the stock recovery (FTM screen) if you want to get rid of CWM also. :)

Guest Trampbottle

Thanks BLu3HaZe

Not sure I fully understand all your easy steps but I'm working on it. Can't find a working link to ADB.zip.

I'll get back when I have some success

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...