Hsupa 2mbps on the blade

Guest swukjay

Guest swukjay

I have been looking into this with some curiosity and it seems we still dont have a definite yes or no with this. I am using the 3 network and have used giffgaff and both results are the same @ 384k upload. Now i tested this against a E585 and the upload was nearly 2mbps so I know the network is supporting Hsupa so whats going on? The blade was and is advertised as having hsupa however this seems not be be the case. I have read that converting it to the libra via windows flasher does enable this to work due to the way it flashes and restores nv items. Now while I was using qpst yesterday while trying to "repair" the imei on my e585 to enable it to work on the 3 network with a payg sim :) I forgot i had the blade plugged in and i noticed in the service programming/Nas that there was some options for UE RAT and GSM UE OP CLASS and UMTS UE OP CLASS! well im wondering if that could be the problem as it was reading class 1 using blade mix 360. Has anybody experimented with this? To get hsupa would be excellent and im sure this is fixable if we try. Any suggestions? Also im wondering if a qos request might make a difference?

Edited by swukjay

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I have been looking into this with some curiosity and it seems we still dont have a definite yes or no with this. I am using the 3 network and have used giffgaff and both results are the same @ 384k upload. Now i tested this against a E585 and the upload was nearly 2mbps so I know the network is supporting Hsupa so whats going on? The blade was and is advertised as having hsupa however this seems not be be the case. I have read that converting it to the libra via windows flasher does enable this to work due to the way it flashes and restores nv items. Now while I was using qpst yesterday while trying to "repair" the imei on my e585 to enable it to work on the 3 network with a payg sim :) I forgot i had the blade plugged in and i noticed in the service programming/Nas that there was some options for UE RAT and GSM UE OP CLASS and UMTS UE OP CLASS! well im wondering if that could be the problem as it was reading class 1 using blade mix 360. Has anybody experimented with this? To get hsupa would be excellent and im sure this is fixable if we try. Any suggestions? Also im wondering if a qos request might make a difference?

I experimented extensively a while back and concluded that the blade probably has no HSUPA in hardware, and all the advertising was in error.

Guest hecatae

I experimented extensively a while back and concluded that the blade probably has no HSUPA in hardware, and all the advertising was in error.

the msm7227 chipset is not capable of hsupa, as hedgepigdaniel states

Guest swukjay

the msm7227 chipset is not capable of hsupa, as hedgepigdaniel states

Rubbish! So how do you explain the libra ? That is simply not true the htc legend has it and thats running a msm7227 the htc s510 has it also running a 7227 and so does this mobile router

http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/pdf_file/0011/40304/MyZone-N3G24W-Spec-Sheet.pdf

The chipset does support hsupa and that is fact!

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Rubbish! So how do you explain the libra ? That is simply not true the htc legend has it and thats running a msm7227 the htc s510 has it also running a 7227 and so does this mobile router

http://media.netcomm...-Spec-Sheet.pdf

The chipset does support hsupa and that is fact!

I know some phones with the 7227 support it but after reading into it I found that its much more complicated than just the chipset supporting it. There are a huge array of components (antenaes, frequency filters, signal amplifiers, intermediary processing, etc) that give a phone support for different radio features, so given that no one has ever been able to post here and prove the presence of HSUPA even after so much experimentation its likely that the blade doesn't have the ability for whatever reason.

Guest swukjay

I know some phones with the 7227 support it but after reading into it I found that its much more complicated than just the chipset supporting it. There are a huge array of components (antenaes, frequency filters, signal amplifiers, intermediary processing, etc) that give a phone support for different radio features, so given that no one has ever been able to post here and prove the presence of HSUPA even after so much experimentation its likely that the blade doesn't have the ability for whatever reason.

Antenna, frequency filters and amplifiers will not affect the speed the modem is capable of. Those will affect the signal s/n ratio and db gain but essentially the phone is a tx rx transmitter and that will not affect the modem speed, also note that the loss of digital signal is minimal compared to analogue and is either there or not. my trusty kenwood ts 440 sat recieves signals of all strengths but never has that affected the volume output of the speaker.recieving packet radio and morse at a low signal strength does not affect the speed at which my decoder works :) hence the old saying "shouting does not increase transmit distance" :D 25 yrs ham radio doctor.

Edited by swukjay

Guest swukjay

Also cast your minds back to the old E583 and some other dongles, Those all recieved hsupa updates via a firmware update. from 384k to 2 mbps. This is a issue that can be solved, the download speed alone proves its capable of hsupa and the 2 go together hand in hand, it just need more poking and prodding.

Guest swukjay

First of all I don't have any 3G plan so I never tested this. But maybe you could do some build.prop edit with root explorer or ADB like it is described here http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=982082

I believe that has already been tried which is why I believe its deeper than that, its almost like its not reading any of those lines which is strange :blink: im convinced this is not a rom issue which could be solved by a flash! its firmware not software based. I think orange made zte disable hsupa as the network is already over capacity, also i believe many who have bought sim free unbranded blades have stated that some have had hsupa working!

Edited by swukjay

Guest swukjay

Oh no, not this again...

Maybe we'll finally have HSUPA when ZTE gives us official Ice Cream Sandwich update and gen4 radio firmware? ;) lol

Ha ha lol I WANT HSUPA NOW! lol my old lg viewty had faster upload! :)

Guest hedgepigdaniel

I believe that has already been tried which is why I believe its deeper than that, its almost like its not reading any of those lines which is strange :blink: im convinced this is not a rom issue which could be solved by a flash! its firmware not software based. I think orange made zte disable hsupa as the network is already over capacity, also i believe many who have bought sim free unbranded blades have stated that some have had hsupa working!

point me to a single screenshot of a reliable speedtest app showing HSUPA speed on the blade. There are none. It's not just disabled by Orange UK, there is no HSUPA on any blade in the world as far as we can tell, and we have firmware from all around the world from the gen2 updates which we have all tried. I wish you luck if you have any ideas, but I don't hold much hope.

Guest BurgerZ

I have ZTE Blade with 256Mb of RAM from Belarussian operator Velcom.

My average speedtest results is 5024kbps Download and 1878kbps Upload.

Edited by BurgerZ

Those speeds are plausible, they are similar to what I get on my LG GT540 when things are working well. The LG GT540 uses the same MSM7227 as the Blade and definitely has HSUPA working.

Guest swukjay

well thats proof then! have you tested this using tethering?

Guest swukjay

point me to a single screenshot of a reliable speedtest app showing HSUPA speed on the blade. There are none. It's not just disabled by Orange UK, there is no HSUPA on any blade in the world as far as we can tell, and we have firmware from all around the world from the gen2 updates which we have all tried. I wish you luck if you have any ideas, but I don't hold much hope.

Yes but those are only roms and drivers im talking about what you might refer to as the phones bios, like what programmes it from factory using jtag or similar when it comes of the production line.

Guest swukjay

Im talking about chip programming, thats what needs to be altered, no rom will make any difference as that is only software its the bios of the chip itself that needs to be altered or setting changed like when you flash a bios. i think orange have dumbed down hsupa coz the network is maxed out.

Guest swukjay

Do you know of anyone else with a blade from the same network who is having similar results?

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Yes but those are only roms and drivers im talking about what you might refer to as the phones bios, like what programmes it from factory using jtag or similar when it comes of the production line.

We didn't jsut experiment with ROMs, we tried flashing low level firmware (ir radio firmware) from all around the world. (BurgerZ, is your carrier listed here: http://android.modaco.com/topic/342403-flashable-stock-firmware-packages/?) and with changing items in the NV memory related to HSUPA, and we never had any success. I don't understand how the radios work in detail so im just makng up a list of stuff, but my point was it could be more complicated, ie there might be more chips involved than one.

Guest swukjay

I think its NV ram related

Aha now we are getting somewhere lol good point bud, I think its nv related as well and I think you definately looking in the right direction.