Orange OSF 2 vs Sony Ericsson live with Walkman... which?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Hi there.

I am looking to buy one of the following:

1/ Orange San Francisco 2 (Orange for £99 + £10 topup required)

2/ Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman (UK Three network for £99 + £10 topup required)

It seems the SF 2 has a better screen but a slower processor. It also cannot record in HD. Does anyone here have *hands on* experience with one, the other or BOTH?

Thanks chaps and girlies!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest unrandomsam

The extra money for either Xperia mini pro or Xperia Play I think would be worth it (Hardware keyboard / Better screen)

Bootloader unlock should work with this :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1285285 (For any carrier locked 2011 xperia's - If it is sim free you can use the official way).

Or if you want to keep the DRM keys then use this method.

Guest unrandomsam

That is not my phone... and what is ST17 please?

Thanks

I thought it was the mainboard for the Xperia with walkman but the live with walkman is actually WT19

You will have to find a copy of the setool software and look in the docs folder and find the right jpg for the testpoint.

There is probably only about 10 should be easy enough to find. (Make sure you do find the right one though - if the board looks the same other than the case it will be right).

You might have to take the label off (If someone uses setool or omnius to do it they need to do the same thing).

There is no other way around it if you want to be able to fastboot / use CWM etc

(If you get a code then it won't unlock the bootloader only the simlock).

http://imageshack.us...s/254/wt19.jpg/

"Hint:

To identify the TP pad, use simple voltmeter, should have 1.8V to ground. Also, in all models i have seen it was the third pad from GND, in the same row. GND pad can be verified easily with an ohm-meter, but use higher ranges (>20kOhm) not to damage other pins."

If you just want rid of the simlock you can just buy a code.

Edited by unrandomsam

Guest unrandomsam

Only half root. no insecure adb.

You can hack it by building a copy of adbd with the part that checks the ro.secure flag out

#if 0

#end if

then using the fact that /etc/install-recovery.sh is executed kill adbd and restart it as root.

(Paul's apk makes loads of stuff suid root which is not a good plan, you could kang the adbd from it though suppose).

Much better to unlock the bootloader really is.

(I lived with this method for about a week).

Guest glossywhite

Only half root. no insecure adb.

You can hack it by building a copy of adbd with the part that checks the ro.secure flag out

#if 0

#end if

then using the fact that /etc/install-recovery.sh is executed kill adbd and restart it as root.

(Paul's apk makes loads of stuff suid root which is not a good plan, you could kang the adbd from it though suppose).

Much better to unlock the bootloader really is.

(I lived with this method for about a week).

Okay :)

Is bootloader unlocking permanent? Can I still update my 'phone with the companion software, to keep it up to date, and have the bootloader remain unlocked?

To be honest, I'm more interested in unlocking the SIMlock, not the bootloader, right now.

PS: a more elegant solution than peeling back the label, would be to find out exactly where the test point is located, and push the point of a pin through the label, so that it pierces it and makes contact with the test point. I know most people are too lazy to do this, but I like my kit *pristine* :P

Edited by glossywhite

Guest hecatae

wt19i latest stock rom is : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1343529

can be flashed with flash tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1351309

the xperia mini pro has a smaller screen than the live with walkman, and also does not have XLOUD,

Live with Walkman can also take 3d pictures and video, not seen that feature on either mini or mini pro

Guest hecatae

Is bootloader unlocking permanent? Can I still update my 'phone with the companion software, to keep it up to date, and have the bootloader remain unlocked?

To be honest, I'm more interested in unlocking the SIMlock, not the bootloader, right now.

I unlocked the simlock using HTCCODE, they sponsor Modaco, they have a forum way down at the bottom of the forums.

going to try this next after rooting, http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1346190

edit an alternative unlock is jinx13 on xda, who owns a setool2 and charges £15 to do it remotely

Guest unrandomsam

PS: a more elegant solution than peeling back the label, would be to find out exactly where the test point is located, and push the point of a pin through the label, so that it pierces it and makes contact with the test point. I know most people are too lazy to do this, but I like my kit *pristine* :P

If you use this method you can (Sony doesn't update the bootloader with the updates and this one appears to Sony as locked even though it isn't its just patched to accept images via fastboot).

As long as you get it right then it will be fine. (Get the wrong one and you can get it so you need to jtag).

I am not bothered about anything other than the screen (Want the plain glass not a screen protector or the protective sheet that Sony Ericsson seems to use (Scratches the sheet far too easily). If you cannot see it I don't care I never sell phones on.

Guest unrandomsam

I unlocked the simlock using HTCCODE, they sponsor Modaco, they have a forum way down at the bottom of the forums.

going to try this next after rooting, http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1346190

edit an alternative unlock is jinx13 on xda, who owns a setool2 and charges £15 to do it remotely

All the code unlocks either exploit the manufacturers servers or use stolen data from the manufacturer. (At least the LG and Samsung unlock client ones currently use an exploit).

I think if I needed to use setool I would buy one (From ipmart) with the credits don't mind paying the creators of software but not middlemen.

Think I would rather pay the network if that was the only legit option.

Guest unrandomsam

wt19i latest stock rom is : http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1343529

can be flashed with flash tool: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1351309

the xperia mini pro has a smaller screen than the live with walkman, and also does not have XLOUD,

Live with Walkman can also take 3d pictures and video, not seen that feature on either mini or mini pro

I thought Xloud was a standard feature with all 2.3.4 xperia rom's (even if its not then it should be fairly easy to add - I added Bravia to mine pretty easily.) They use the same image pretty much if the files are there the feature works.

Guest unrandomsam

Have you any stuff in /system/vendor ? (I have it totally empty because I bought sim free, wouldn't mind knowing the file structure so I can put some stuff in there.)

Or I guess I could put the dalvik-cache there.

Guest hecatae

All the code unlocks either exploit the manufacturers servers or use stolen data from the manufacturer. (At least the LG and Samsung unlock client ones currently use an exploit).

I think if I needed to use setool I would buy one (From ipmart) with the credits don't mind paying the creators of software but not middlemen.

Think I would rather pay the network if that was the only legit option.

setool3 is £90 from what i can see.

i used s1 tool unlock to exploit manufacturers server, htccode are also known as totalgsm, and they have been unlocking and debranding sony ericssons since 2003

Guest glossywhite

setool3 is £90 from what i can see.

i used s1 tool unlock to exploit manufacturers server, htccode are also known as totalgsm, and they have been unlocking and debranding sony ericssons since 2003

Sorry, you're talking in Chinese. Would you mind explaining all these acronyms and codenames?

:P

Guest glossywhite

I tell you what... let's not continue this baffling conversation. I am gonna order an unlock code from Three themselves, tomorrow. Simple :P

Thanks for trying guys!