My Tutorial For Unlocking The OMC

Guest todoleo

Guest dibbles

Nice work. If I can make a point or two...

Between steps 5 and 6 - this might be a problem for some people as you do not mention anything about drivers. Some seem to get them installed via Windows Update and some don't. They need to see within device manager that they have the ADB Interface listed in it. along with the phone noted as a composite ADB interface.

Also they must be aware if they have a firewall installed to allow the software being used to access the phone.

Step 10 - for me the software did not identify a port and so it was not there to select. I had to right click on the globe icon in the system tray and launch the config settings which allowed me to add the port, which I took note from what the phone had been assigned within the device manager.

You advise people not to close the QPST software, I have seen it noted that the unlocking software will not work for some unless it is closed, as it seems to lock the port to itself and thus the unlocking software can't communicate with the phone. There is no problem with closing it as you just need to start it back up and then restore your qcn file. Maybe it does not happen that way in all circumstances but again of people are aware then they are not pulling their hair out unsure of what to do.

Well done again :)

Guest todoleo

Nice work. If I can make a point or two...

Between steps 5 and 6 - this might be a problem for some people as you do not mention anything about drivers. Some seem to get them installed via Windows Update and some don't. They need to see within device manager that they have the ADB Interface listed in it. along with the phone noted as a composite ADB interface.

Also they must be aware if they have a firewall installed to allow the software being used to access the phone.

Step 10 - for me the software did not identify a port and so it was not there to select. I had to right click on the globe icon in the system tray and launch the config settings which allowed me to add the port, which I took note from what the phone had been assigned within the device manager.

You advise people not to close the QPST software, I have seen it noted that the unlocking software will not work for some unless it is closed, as it seems to lock the port to itself and thus the unlocking software can't communicate with the phone. There is no problem with closing it as you just need to start it back up and then restore your qcn file. Maybe it does not happen that way in all circumstances but again of people are aware then they are not pulling their hair out unsure of what to do.

Well done again :)

Thanks, I'll fix this later today!

Guest Atomix86

I followed this guide while referencing the sticky and now my wifi doesn't work and my Mac address is 112233445566 how do I fix it?

EDIT: Re-flashing the QCN file fixed the issue! ;)

Edited by Atomix86

Guest todoleo

Cheers, but it turns out it was a minor flashing issue with the QCN file, so I simply re-flashed and bada-bing, it worked :D.

I'm glad it worked out for you! Enjoy the added freedom!

Are there any plans in the pipeline to unlock the OMC, rooting and adding a custom with instructions only using the phone and without a pc?

Thanks Murf95

Guest todoleo

Are there any plans in the pipeline to unlock the OMC, rooting and adding a custom with instructions only using the phone and without a pc?

Thanks Murf95

As much as I would love that to be possible, I have a feeling it will be very difficult. The process involves wiping data from the chipset and then restoring part of it.

Guest Joey Scarf

Thanks for the easy tutorial, but

What do i need to have done before i start this guide, e.g. rooting and installing other stuff

If there is stuff you should say at the start of the guide.

Guest todoleo

With this method of unlocking the OMC / ZTE Skate there shojld be no need to root beforehand. I applied the tutorial step by step to a brand new OMC straight out of ghe box. An elderly relative of mine is now rocking an OMC with a simplified Cyanogen inatall...

Guest Joey Scarf

With this method of unlocking the OMC / ZTE Skate there shojld be no need to root beforehand. I applied the tutorial step by step to a brand new OMC straight out of ghe box. An elderly relative of mine is now rocking an OMC with a simplified Cyanogen inatall...

I've already rooted my phone so ports are working but and i have updated my drivers

my computer isn't recognising my phone when it put it into FTM mode in step 8

also qpst keeps giving me error messages

Anyone's help would be appreciated

Edited by Joey Scarf

Guest Joey Scarf

I have tried to start the unlock but in qpst software download it says no phone found

i have rooted and downloaded and installed the drivers, i also tried the configuration and i finds COM8 but it doesn't help.

I also get error pop ups when opening the qpst

any ideas

Edited by Joey Scarf

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ali Zain

i was unlocking my omc skate. But i m stuck at step 12.. I want to click Start to unlock. but i cant because start button is greyed out. I cant click on it.. I have already closed all Qpst windows. please help me

Guest jcmyall

i was unlocking my omc skate. But i m stuck at step 12.. I want to click Start to unlock. but i cant because start button is greyed out. I cant click on it.. I have already closed all Qpst windows. please help me

Take the battery out of your OMC and connect it to the computer. It should turn on, as soon as it does, immediately hold VOLUME DOWN until FTM comes up on the screen. The Start button should now allow you to click it.