OnLive launched for Android

Guest Mark Dearlove

Guest Mark Dearlove

OnLive have announced the release of an Android app, allowing gamers to take their FPS sessions on the road/train/bus with them as everything is run from the cloud. Currently there are 25+ titles that can be played using the touchscreen, and a further 200 that require the purchase of the £40 wireless controller. Unfortunately most of the well reviewed games require the controller so it will be interesting to see what the take up is like. In theory OnLive is a great concept when you have a decent internet connection. In brief testing over a 54Mbps WiFi connection the app complained about the network speed so its likely that games will lag. This makes me wonder what it will be like played over a mobile connection.

One bonus to installing the app is that you get a free copy of Lego Batman so if this floats your boat it may be worth the install for that alone.

More info including hardware compatibility is available after the break.

Currently the supported devices are:

Acer Iconia Tab A500, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, HTC Evo View, HTC Flyer, HTC Jetstream, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Sony Ericsson Tablet S, Toshiba Thrive, HTC EVO, HTC Nexus One, HTC Rezound 4G, HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XL, Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid X2, Motorola DROID BIONIC 4G, Motorola DROID RAZR 4G, Motorola Photon 4G, Samsung Galaxy S II 4G.

While the Universal OnLive Wireless Controller has been tested with the Acer Iconia Tab A500, ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Toshiba Thrive.

I did a brief test on my unsupported HTC Desire running 2.3 and the app loaded but the image quality was extremely poor, on the Asus Transformer it's very smooth.

Get the app from the Market

590a4c9effa32d127bb871078714cc4f.png

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest oursoul

It's brilliant.. completely unexpected for me, I had just signed up to OnLive the afternoon before it hit the news!

Works perfectly and even looks pretty good via the MHL cable to my HD TV, I'm hoping for Bluetooth keyboard & mouse support in games but I guess I will have to make do with a controller if it's not possible.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.