Extracting system/boot/splash .img files?

Guest Atomix86

Guest Atomix86

Hi all,

I am genuinely interested in _attempting_ to tinker with/create a custom ROM. I have the SDK installed etc, but I am interested to know how to extract the files within the .img files used in the official ROMs (as I wish to base mine off an official ZTE ROM to preserve compatibility). My first thought was to copy the /system DIR from the phone itself and go from there, but I noticed there are a hell of a lot more folders (acct, dev, etc, init, mnt, proc, sys) and was unsure which also would need to be copied if I were to go that way (which I imagine, is probably the wrong way ha). Sorry if I sound incredibly stupid (hey, we all have to start somewhere!), any help is appreciated!

Guest Wacky.ddw

Hi all,

I am genuinely interested in _attempting_ to tinker with/create a custom ROM. I have the SDK installed etc, but I am interested to know how to extract the files within the .img files used in the official ROMs (as I wish to base mine off an official ZTE ROM to preserve compatibility). My first thought was to copy the /system DIR from the phone itself and go from there, but I noticed there are a hell of a lot more folders (acct, dev, etc, init, mnt, proc, sys) and was unsure which also would need to be copied if I were to go that way (which I imagine, is probably the wrong way ha). Sorry if I sound incredibly stupid (hey, we all have to start somewhere!), any help is appreciated!

I am allso a noob at this but, i know you can make a nandroid backup copy it to your pc and use unyaffs to extract the .img files. Just google unyaffs.

Guest Atomix86
unyaffs is only for system/data/cache imgs.

Use gzip, 7z, split_bootimg, mkbootfs, mkbootimg for boot.img.

Use nbimg for splash.img.

Thanks, looks like I've got some research to do.