Help please

Guest jayneuk

Guest jayneuk

Hi, I've just bought an Advent Vega which is running Android 2.2. I wanted to upgrade it but I'm worried in case I break it altogether :-/ Is there anyone who could advise me please?

Should I use the rom from here or from Tabletroms or are they the same?

Which rom do I use? And is there a very simple step-by-step guide somewhere?

Will it invalidate my guarantee? The man in the shop said it would :-/

Will it make it run slow? Again, the man in the shop said it would - he said the machine won't be able to handle it properly so it will be slow.

Could I break the whole thing if I do it wrong?

I would be really grateful for any help you could give me.

Thanks in advance.

Guest shameful

Sorry for brief reply. I'm in my phone. There's lots of guides about. Try a search. Even a few youtube guides. Vegatools is very useful.

Putting a custom rom won't void warranty. It was a long time ago but advent said something similar to we support the hardware. Do what you want with the software

You'll definitely notice an improvement in speed using the custom roms. They use more up to date software and drivers for a start. Tweaked for the hardware.

Guest jayneuk

Sorry for brief reply. I'm in my phone. There's lots of guides about. Try a search. Even a few youtube guides. Vegatools is very useful.

Putting a custom rom won't void warranty. It was a long time ago but advent said something similar to we support the hardware. Do what you want with the software

You'll definitely notice an improvement in speed using the custom roms. They use more up to date software and drivers for a start. Tweaked for the hardware.

Thank you very much - that has put my mind at rest :-)

Guest dibbles

Firstly you have to remember it is nigh on impossible to brick a Vega. Doing things to it, which could go wrong, can cause you to have several panic attacks but the Vega itself is really a tough and durable device that can be resurrected from most situations.

Do yourself a favour, as noted already, spend sometime reading up here and at other forums about what is available to use. Watch some Youtube vids.

If you want an up to date Honeycomb ROM to use then really consider using the ViewCOMB one. I am using that, and so is my wofe, and it is a real pleasure to use...

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/advent-tablets/23727-rom-viewcomb-3-2-honeycomb-3-2-viewpad-10s.html

...it does work fine for the Vega. If you did then ignore the first post on the installation of the drivers as you can use AUDI to do that...

Using a custom ROM is almost mandatory for the Vega as it not only runs so much better but it will also give you the full Android market to buy or install free apps and games.

The main popular 2.2 Froyo ROM to use would be the Corvus inc SP 1.

A popular and up to date Honeycomb 3.2 ROM would be Honey ICE, which I was on, or the much easier to install ViewCOMB 6.3.

It really is very very easy to install the ViewCOMB ROM compared to anything else available.

Make sure that you do a bit of reading though about the possibility of bad nand blocks if you are thinking of installing a 3.2 ROM. But on noting that the ViewCOMB 6.3 ROM has been great with my Wife's temperamental Vega.

good luck and have fun :)

Edited by dibbles

Guest jayneuk

Firstly you have to remember it is nigh on impossible to brick a Vega. Doing things to it, which could go wrong, can cause you to have several panic attacks but the Vega itself is really a tough and durable device that can be resurrected from most situations.

Do yourself a favour, as noted already, spend sometime reading up here and at other forums about what is available to use. Watch some Youtube vids.

If you want an up to date Honeycomb ROM to use then really consider using the ViewCOMB one. I am using that, and so is my wofe, and it is a real pleasure to use...

http://www.androidta...iewpad-10s.html

...it does work fine for the Vega. If you did then ignore the first post on the installation of the drivers as you can use AUDI to do that...

http://android.modac.../page__hl__audi

Using a custom ROM is almost mandatory for the Vega as it not only runs so much better but it will also give you the full Android market to buy or install free apps and games.

The main popular 2.2 Froyo ROM to use would be the Corvus inc SP 1.

A popular and up to date Honeycomb 3.2 ROM would be Honey ICE, which I was on, or the much easier to install ViewCOMB 6.3.

It really is very very easy to install the ViewCOMB ROM compared to anything else available.

Make sure that you do a bit of reading though about the possibility of bad nand blocks if you are thinking of installing a 3.2 ROM. But on noting that the ViewCOMB 6.3 ROM has been great with my Wife's temperamental Vega.

good luck and have fun :)

Thanks so much, Dibbles :-) I will have a look around and read some more posts before I go for it! I've had a read through of some instructions, and to be honest I think it sounds worse than it is! I mean it looks like a whole page of complicated instructions, but if you break it down and do it bit by bit it's probably ok :-) I'll let you know how I get on - thanks again :-)

Guest dibbles

I would strongly suggest that you familiarise yourself with what you have got and do a bit of reading first. You must download the VegaTools and AUDI. They will form the basic toolboxes you will need to help you to go further. Get to understand their function and read their respective threads in detail. Secondly understand what it means to have Clockwork Mod installed and how it can backup your ROM and be used to install others - except if you decided to install the ViewCOMB ROM as that is even easier.

The more you understand and informed you become the more that you will appreciate how, relatively, simple it is to install the ROM I noted. That does not make it to be the only choice for you but in my own experience it is a very good place to start.

If you was to install the ROM I noted...

Run AUDI and install the appropriate drivers.

Place Vega in its recovery mode after connected to the PC with the power lead attached - explained when you run AUDI - all the information will be there.

When the Audi bottom bar turns green you have the Vega in the correct mode and the drivers are appropriate for what you want to do.

Download the ViewCOMB 6.3 ROM and check the MD5.

Double click on the ROM and sit back or go and make a cup of tea.

When finished reboot the Vega and enjoy the Honeycomb 3.2 experience.

Each of the above stages could be padded out but, at this stage, I just wanted to give you an example of how reasonable the procedure it could be. The forums can be a little overwhelming.

Edited by dibbles

Guest jayneuk

I would strongly suggest that you familiarise yourself with what you have got and do a bit of reading first. You must download the VegaTools and AUDI. They will form the basic toolboxes you will need to help you to go further. Get to understand their function and read their respective threads in detail. Secondly understand what it means to have Clockwork Mod installed and how it can backup your ROM and be used to install others - except if you decided to install the ViewCOMB ROM as that is even easier.

The more you understand and informed you become the more that you will appreciate how, relatively, simple it is to install the ROM I noted. That does not make it to be the only choice for you but in my own experience it is a very good place to start.

If you was to install the ROM I noted...

Run AUDI and install the appropriate drivers.

Place Vega in its recovery mode after connected to the PC with the power lead attached - explained when you run AUDI - all the information will be there.

When the Audi bottom bar turns green you have the Vega in the correct mode and the drivers are appropriate for what you want to do.

Download the ViewCOMB 6.3 ROM and check the MD5.

Double click on the ROM and sit back or go and make a cup of tea.

When finished reboot the Vega and enjoy the Honeycomb 3.2 experience.

Each of the above stages could be padded out but, at this stage, I just wanted to give you an example of how reasonable the procedure it could be. The forums can be a little overwhelming.

I've done it!!!! It's amazing!! Can't believe how different it is! The only thing I'm confused about now is how to do the update. I've used Vega Comb HC3.2 Build 9n, but I've got an update 3 zip too - how do I install that? Do I just go into recover and do 'install from sd card' like I did with the rom? Or do I have to do all the wiping stuff first? If I could just get the update done then it's all done :-D

Guest dibbles

I've done it!!!! It's amazing!! Can't believe how different it is! The only thing I'm confused about now is how to do the update. I've used Vega Comb HC3.2 Build 9n, but I've got an update 3 zip too - how do I install that? Do I just go into recover and do 'install from sd card' like I did with the rom? Or do I have to do all the wiping stuff first? If I could just get the update done then it's all done :-D

What you would need to do is to install from recovery CWM not from update.zip but from a zip and then choose the zip you noted.

That ROM is an excellent one and is the base for what Honey ICE is built on and the ROM I noted. The two noted ROMs have fixes etc that build on the one you installed

Edited by dibbles

Guest jayneuk

What you would need to do is to install from recovery CWM not from update.zip but from a zip and then choose the zip you noted.

That ROM is an excellent one and is the base for what Honey ICE is built on and the ROM I noted. The two noted ROMs have fixes etc that build on the one you installed

The recovery app isn't there now blink.gif

Guest dibbles

The recovery app isn't there now blink.gif

Did you first install the modded stock ver 2 before the VC rom?

To get into recovery hold the power switch unit the menu comes up and select recovery. Then wait until the screen goes back. Press power again to power off fully and then switch back on and it should go into recovery.

Btw you must either be a very very fast reader or kinda impatient to install a rom!!

Edited by dibbles

Guest jayneuk

Did you first install the modded stock ver 2 before the VC rom?

Yes. I did that. Then I went into the recovery app, did all the deleting, then installed the vegacomb rom from the sd card. It's all worked fine, but now when I go into apps that recovery app isn't there, so I can't install the extra update.

Guest jayneuk

Read my above edited comments. Getting into recovery is a little different.

Lovely - thank you. I'm not sure how to tell if it's installed the update or not, but I now have two 'markets' so I guess it's done something. And if I go into 'about tablet', under 'build number' it says 'VC 3.2 Build 9n Update3' - is that right?

Am I now on the HoneyIce rom then?

Oh and should I delete one of the markets? Either one? Are they both the same?

Thank you so much for your help. Yes, I am impatient. I did start reading, but I'm one of those who has to do something to understand it - it doesn't really sink in when I read it, so I just went for it - bit risky but seems to have been ok luckily.

Guest simonta

Lovely - thank you. I'm not sure how to tell if it's installed the update or not, but I now have two 'markets' so I guess it's done something. And if I go into 'about tablet', under 'build number' it says 'VC 3.2 Build 9n Update3' - is that right?

Thank you so much for your help. Yes, I am impatient. I did start reading, but I'm one of those who has to do something to understand it - it doesn't really sink in when I read it, so I just went for it - bit risky but seems to have been ok luckily.

As people have said, "the Vega can be recovered from most situations". To put your mind at rest, in the entire history of the Vega, not one person has managed to brick one, and that includes the ROM developers who do some truly hairy and insane things to their Vegas. So the biggest risk you ever take through experimenting and fiddling is a re-install from scratch.

Have fun!

Guest jayneuk

One of the market icons disappeared so I've just got the one now! So it's all done, but it is running slow - not as fast as my laptop, and it should be, right? Also it won't let me download apps - says I haven't got the space when I have - not sure why it's doing that.