Firstly if you are not already on the lastest Official 2.3.5 Final then update to it before trying the following.
Rooting the U8800 with SuperOneClick v2.3.3
1) Dial: *#*#2846579#*#*
2) Go to projectmenu > background settings > log settings > log switch > set Log on
3) Reboot Phone
4) Switch USB Debugging ON
5) Download SuperOneClick v2.3.3
6) Plug your U8800 into your computer but DO NOT mount SD Card.
7) Run SuperOneClick and press the ROOT Button, and let it do its thing (say yes to install drivers if asked).
8) Your phone should now be Rooted.
9) You can now go back and turn logging off if you want.
Removing First Set of Bundled Apps (Part 1)
1) Install ES File Explorer or File Expert.
2) Install Remount.
3) Using Remount mount the system/app folder as RW.
4) Navigate to System/App using ES File Explorer or File Expert and remove the following:
5) That should have removed the Social App, Stock Android Weather App and the Twitter and Facebook Feeds.
Removing Second Set of Bundled Apps (Part 2)
I have edited the stock cust.img file which will remove the following:
- APK Batch Installer
- Documents to Go
- File Manager
- Huawei Keyboard
1) Download the modified cust.img - HERE
2) Copy the cust.img to your SD Card from your Computer.
3) Using Remount mount the .cust_backup/image folder as RW.
4) Using ES File Explorer or File Expert move the cust.img from the SD Card to .cust_backup/image and replace existing cust.img (you may have have to enable "Show Hidden Files" in your File Manager.
5) Reboot your phone and the apps above should be removed.
You should now have a much cleaner U8800 with most of the rubbish removed.
If you know of other apps that can be removed from the system/app folder let me know and I will add them to the list above!
Installing ClockworkMod 188.8.131.52 on your U8800
1) On your U8800 go to Settings > Applications > Untick Fast Boot (if ticked)
2) Download Blefish's ClockworkMod from HERE (ClockworkMod v184.108.40.206)
3) Copy the recovery.img from computer to your SD Card.
4) Using Remount mount the .cust_backup/image folder as RW.
5) Using ES File Explorer or File Expert copy the recovery.img from the SD Card to .cust_backup/image (replacing existing)
6) ClockworkMod v220.127.116.11 will now be Installed on your U8800
7) Turn on your U8800 while holding [VOL+] to load ClockworkMod Recovery (keep holding [Power] + [VOL+] until ClockworkMod Loads)
Note: if you have a Synaptics screen you have to use the [VOL] buttons to navigate and [Power] button to select an option.
Missing the Torch that comes with CM7 and MIUI?
I have found a great very simple Torch App in the Market which is also Ad Free.
It uses your LED Flash like the others and works perfect for me: Simple Torch
The App is also Free so will not cost you a penny!
If you know of an alternative let me know.
Modified Huawei 2.3.5 Stock Launcher with Icon Backgrounds Removed by skifyr123
A BIG THANK YOU to skifyr123 for modifying the Stock Huawei 2.3.5 Launcher to remove the stupid icon background images.
1) Download Modified Launcher from HERE.
2) Place .zip file on SD Card.
3) Boot into ClockworkMod by Powering on the phone while holding [VOL+].
4) Choose "Install zip from SD Card" and allow to install.
5) Reboot phone and enjoy new launcher.
build.prop File Tweaks and Edits
You can edit your system/build.prop file using most File Managers, I use Root Explorer and just hold finger down on the build.prop file and choose "Open in Text Editor" and edit away. You will need to mount the "System" folder as R/W using the Remount App.
Enable sending MMS Messages over WiFi (if Data Disabled)
Enable "Call Reject Menu" in Settings > Call Settings
You will now have the option to Auto Send a Text to a person when you reject their call.
Enable "HDR Mode" in the Camera Settings
If you are not sure what HDR is then read up on it HERE
Downgrade from 2.3.5 back to 2.2.2
1) Download U8800 V100R001C00B138SP04 (Overseas General) Android 2.2.2 from HERE.
2) Extract the "dload" folder and copy it (along with its contents) to the ROOT of the SD Card.
3) Turn on your U8800 while holding [VOL-] and [VOL+] and the Android 2.2.2 install should start.
4) Once finished you should be back to 2.2.2.
5) If you phone does not boot correctly power on phone while holding [VOL+] to boot into recovery and Reset to factory defaults.
6) Delete the "dload" folder from the SD Card.
Edited by That-Guy, 15 January 2012 - 10:10 PM.