Alternative way to flash recovery

Guest Amphoras

Guest Amphoras

There seem to be quite a few people having trouble with fastboot/drivers, so they can't flash ClockworkMod recovery after carrying out the unlock procedure. This can mean you can't change rom after first unlocking. The TPT's to repartition will flash ClockworkMod as well, but some people might not want to change partition sizes. These TPT's should flash ClockworkMod to the recovery partition, and leave everything else unchanged. They shouldn't change any partition sizes, and shouldn't wipe your data or rom. (They shouldn't, and it doesn't on my original San Francisco, but I don't have either of these devices to check on, so make a backup first.)

If you want to change partition sizes as well, use these.

There is one for Sebastian404's version 4.0.1.5, and one for Flibbesan's version 5.0.2.7. The TPT's are also device specific, so make sure you only use the one for your device.

Check the md5sum of the zip after downloading, and check the md5sum of the image.bin after putting it in the image folder on the root of your sdcard.

San Francisco II v4.0.1.5

MD5sum: b7dd774a9f02bde069e5a4f10102c1f3

San Francisco II v5.0.2.7

MD5sum: e419b077b7b25536d57f19eca091d5e8

T-Mobile Vivacity v4.0.1.5

MD5sum: dd43745af5774a8228f917640a18110a

T-Mobile Vivacity v5.0.2.7

MD5sum: 2f5b508c95f338ae250979e764e9672d

Instructions:

Check the m5sums.

Unzip to the root of your sdcard, you should have a folder called image with an image.bin and nandroid.md5 file inside it.

Check the md5sum of the image.bin matches the one listed in the nandroid.md5 file.

Either:

1. Go to settings, about phone, system updates and start from there.

or

2. Turn your phone off, then power on holding menu and vol+.

Warnings:

Delete the image folder after using.

Again, make sure you check the md5sums.

Use this at your own risk.

This method is more dangerous, so try the other methods of flashing recovery first.

Edited by Amphoras

Guest Reider59

Absolutely brilliant! Not just in turning them out but in realising some folk, including me in the past but thankfully not the last day or three, had or have severe problems in either using ADB or getting it to do its stuff. Not tested any of these but first time I need them or do a ROM change I will. Thanks once again,

Steve

Guest kazoooo

Thanks for this info dude. I was looking for this kinda solution but found an alternative method.

If you have a rooted device after unlock (i.e you didn't go to stock ROM) then there is an app called ezboot in the android market that lets you reboot into bootloader mode. And fastboot seemed to work and I flashed the clockwork mod recovery image.

Then I had a homer simpson moment cos I installed the stock rom, which replaces clockworkmod with the stock (DOH!). Now I had a non-rooted device and would have to use your TPTs.

But I got ADB working on a mac. I had to enable mass storage from the device and then eject the drive from the mac before debug bridge enabled.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Check the md5sum of the zip after downloading, and check the md5sum of the image.bin after putting it in the image folder on the root of your sdcard.

What if they don't match?

DO NOT GO AHEAD if the md5sum does not match. This checks the file you have is the same as what the OP had, and seemingly its not. Try redownloading!

Guest Thomas J Marshall

DO NOT GO AHEAD if the md5sum does not match. This checks the file you have is the same as what the OP had, and seemingly its not. Try redownloading!

Downloaded again but still different.

Bin ef3f9735cb525d5d68747eeab00229af

Nd5 86fa8185f88280245d603b27711af77a

I'm using a freeware utility called Winmd5, Am I checking the right files, bin and nd5?

Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest unrandomsam

I still think you can force load the stock google fastboot Android driver (and use -i 0xvendorid that you can find out very simply with the sysinternals usb dumper or with a tiny bit more effort using the stock device manager.)

Guest Thomas J Marshall

I still think you can force load the stock google fastboot Android driver (and use -i 0xvendorid that you can find out very simply with the sysinternals usb dumper or with a tiny bit more effort using the stock device manager.)

Too technical for me I'm afraid! Since unlocking my SFII I've had problems using it - loss of signal, battery drain, blank sd card etc. I'm trying to load clockworkrecovery so i can wipe the battery cache to see if that fixes things. Occasionally then sd card works but I haven't been able to put on CWMR with abd so I'm looking an alternative - apart from throwing the phone in a bin!! :)

Too technical for me I'm afraid! Since unlocking my SFII I've had problems using it - loss of signal, battery drain, blank sd card etc. I'm trying to load clockworkrecovery so i can wipe the battery cache to see if that fixes things. Occasionally then sd card works but I haven't been able to put on CWMR with abd so I'm looking an alternative - apart from throwing the phone in a bin!! :)

This is the way I did it, very simple: http://blog.podtwo.c...E%20Blade2.html using his "Recovery Manager" app

Edited by MCZQ

Guest Amphoras

Downloaded again but still different.

Bin ef3f9735cb525d5d68747eeab00229af

Nd5 86fa8185f88280245d603b27711af77a

I'm using a freeware utility called Winmd5, Am I checking the right files, bin and nd5?

Are you using the SF2 5.0.2.7 one? The md5sum I have for that one matches the md5sum you've written for the image.bin. You need to check that the md5sum of the image.bin is the same as the one written in the nandroid.md5 file, open it as a text file. You don't check the md5sum of the nandroid.md5 file.

Guest Reider59

Thomas:

Try clicking on the file you downloaded (not the nandroid.md5 file). MD5 tends to still reflect something you checked earlier until you point it to a new file. Leading to false negatives if you don`t look a little deeper.

Steve

Edited by Reider59

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Thomas:

Try clicking on the file you downloaded (not the nandroid.md5 file). MD5 tends to still reflect something you checked earlier until you point it to a new file. Leading to false negatives if you don`t look a little deeper.

Steve

Thanks guys for the help. I'm not sure what to check. Extracted to the image file I have image.bin and nandroid.md5, do I check one of these against something else?

Guest JCPren

Thanks guys for the help. I'm not sure what to check. Extracted to the image file I have image.bin and nandroid.md5, do I check one of these against something else?

Examine the contents of nandroid.md5 in a text editor (rename it to nandroid.txt if it helps you open it). When you check image.bin using your MD5 utility, the code it produces should match the code inside nandroid.md5. Depending on how your MD5 utility works, it may get you to paste the code you're expecting (copied from nandroid.md5) so that it can check itself whether or not they match.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Examine the contents of nandroid.md5 in a text editor (rename it to nandroid.txt if it helps you open it). When you check image.bin using your MD5 utility, the code it produces should match the code inside nandroid.md5. Depending on how your MD5 utility works, it may get you to paste the code you're expecting (copied from nandroid.md5) so that it can check itself whether or not they match.

Great thanks. They match.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Great thanks. They match.

And a successful install!! Thanks guys for all your help. I've wiped the battery stats so I'll see if that fixes things. :D Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest Reider59

And a successful install!! Thanks guts for all your help. I've wiped the battery stats so I'll see if that fixes things. :D

I hope you checked the phone was 100% charged first or you need to repeat it when it is. It needs to get a full to zero (or as close as) reading not a part charged to zero reading.

Steve

You should check that your battery is close to the max charge - somewhere near 4230mv or your stats will still be out. I don't see the point in draining... and these batteries don't like it. You might damage the battery.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thomas J Marshall

I hope you checked the phone was 100% charged first or you need to repeat it when it is. It needs to get a full to zero (or as close as) reading not a part charged to zero reading.

Steve

Came across this free battery calibrater that saves booting into CWM.

http://tinyurl.com/7vtuwc7

• 1 month later...
Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

I downloaded the file and checked th MD5 sum of the image file and it's different to the one displayed on the first post.

What should I do now?

I really want Clockwork on my device so I can install FnC, thanks.

Guest Amphoras

I downloaded the file and checked th MD5 sum of the image file and it's different to the one displayed on the first post.

What should I do now?

I really want Clockwork on my device so I can install FnC, thanks.

There are two md5sums you need to check. The one in the first post is for the zip that you download. After you have opened it, the md5sum for the image.bin is written in the nandroid.md5 file. Open it with a text editor and you can see it.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

There are two md5sums you need to check. The one in the first post is for the zip that you download. After you have opened it, the md5sum for the image.bin is written in the nandroid.md5 file. Open it with a text editor and you can see it.

Thanks for the reply pal, I managed to get the other method working earlier so it's all good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest domenico lamberti

i have the 4.0.1.5 version from a while ago on here, can i just download,extract and place the image folder from the 5.0.2.7 one on there and tpt that over?

Guest Amphoras

i have the 4.0.1.5 version from a while ago on here, can i just download,extract and place the image folder from the 5.0.2.7 one on there and tpt that over?

Yeah it should be fine to do that.

Guest domenico lamberti

i must be doing it wrong somehow, i downloaded 5.0.2.7,extracted the image folder to the root of my SD card, do a battery pull, turn the device on holding the vol+ button and the middle key, and the device boots to the android guy, the red LED up top is solid then goes after about 2 seconds and then it just boots into ROM