Looking for the ultimate ROM for your O2X? Try the latest CM7 Kang

Guest vulpy

Now guys, I FINALLY FOUND the ROM that does it all for me and this is:... CM7...well not excatly, it's the latest Kang:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1421425

The last official CM7 (verrrry outdated now) still has the FD issues but go for the latest kang and it all just works :)

Butter smooth, roaring nicely now.

I've been soooo frustrated with this phone for the last 6 mths (going through all the lousy v20x betas, Paul's improved iterations and stocks) that I almost can't belive I can finally use the O2X as my main, stable and fabulous device !!! I will only flash again when a solid ICS will become available, and my ZTE Blade can take a good long nap now (after he loyaly served me for 1 year without a single issue)

PS: my power button starts playing tricks on me, hope it will not go south all together...

Guest RadioCharlie

I'm using KANG now, a few day's in and it's rather nice - Performed well during a bit of Twitter'ing while Navigation was telling us how to navigate the M40 into Stratford on Avon over the weekend. First time away from any WiFi connectivity and I was struck by how fast the battery is consumed unless you turn off Data+3G - Perhaps I only noticed it because I'm usually at home and running on WiFi and withing easy reach of some power.

Still, it's a reliable ROM and doesn't seem to have any obvious issues. I may keep updated with the releases as I'm 27 and it seems to be at 30 now!

Guest Macheath

There is still a 'battery drain bug' in every KANG, so that apps will use gryoscope all the time even in background and standby.

Solution: look at 'spare parts' under 'sensor usage', there will be the apps shown, which consume a lot of battery. Go to Settings->Apps->Development and tick 'kill app'. In future, you only have to hold the 'back' button in every app which is shown under 'sensor usage' to kill it -> no batterydrain.

I want to have a try with this ROM..

is there any specific baseband should I have before installing this?

all I need to do is to install via ClockWorkMod ?

Guest Macheath

You need CWM 5.0.2.0 and baseband 218.

OR: keep your current baseband and install getril from market to install corresponding ril.

Edited by Macheath

There is still a 'battery drain bug' in every KANG, so that apps will use gryoscope all the time even in background and standby.

Solution: look at 'spare parts' under 'sensor usage', there will be the apps shown, which consume a lot of battery. Go to Settings->Apps->Development and tick 'kill app'. In future, you only have to hold the 'back' button in every app which is shown under 'sensor usage' to kill it -> no batterydrain.

I had what I thought was this problem for the first time yesterday - maybe I've just been lucky! It happened after I installed and tried out LGcamera from the market. Unfortunately even after killing the app, uninstalling it and rebooting I still had huge battery drain but only "android system" sensor use sad.gif.

Went back to my last nandroid, and that's fixed it for now (your kang from 8th January - thanks for kanging btw!)

Guest stonebear

I can see spare parts-> usage statstics but not sensor usage? (using temaseks)

ah, it's spare parts -> battery history -> sensor usage.

Edited by stonebear

Guest stonebear

I am liking this rom now, took a while to get my head around it as I had never used CM before. I am using Vedonkas power-save kernel with it atm http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1427646

I haven't had time to fully test any of the roms I have had a look at so far (only had the phone 3 days) but Kang and Gueste's Golden Hybrid seem the best to me, also Django manouch seems good.

Guest stonebear

Glad u guys like it.

Last update today - build 38. :D

Yep, liking it more and more. :)

Especially with the power-save kernel, battery usage is very good.

Other roms I have tried, battery life sucks.

Guest stonebear

I had a problem taking screenshots, pressing home+power didn't work and using apps didn't work. I tried an app called "screenshot it" and the shot came out black, I saw in the settings it had an option for "alternate method", selected that and it works now.

How do others take screenshots? I bet there was some something I missed, lol.

Guest stonebear

Didn't you notice the appearing menu by holding the power button (for turning off your device?) tongue.gif

There you can take a screenshot.

Yea, I noticed it last night, lol. blush.gif

Guest mankian

Whats IronKRNL like?

The battery drain thing I read somewhere that it is NOT a battery drain! It is an error in the usage statistics. Apps (like camera and gallery) attach to the sensors which run in the android system context (or something like that!) so when the app closes (cam, gallery) they show up on sensor usage as the android system is still using the sensors and those apps did not correctly unregister (or they do but CM has a bug which doesnt unregister them). Long story short, from what I read, they do not use any more battery, its just a reporting error.

Guest rjpa123

Temasek and Vadonka are a great pair of wizards.

Now that FM Radio works, I have zero reasons to remain on stock based ROMS.

Fast, efficient and functional.

Thank you, CM team.

Ricardo Cerqueira, you're the man.

Edited by rjpa123