Samsung and LG revisit the low-end with the Galaxy Ace Plus and Optimus Two

Guest PaulOBrien

While super powerful handsets like the Galaxy Nexus, Sensation and Galaxy S II are important, where Android is really making inroads against it's Smartphone competition is in the low end of the Market where iPhone can't compete and the alternatives are much less desirable. With this in mind, Samsung and LG have announced their latest entry level handsets.

First up is Samsung who add the 'Galaxy Ace Plus' to their expansive lineup of handsets.

As the name suggests, the Galaxy Ace Plus is a follow up to the successful Galaxy Ace handset. Compared to it's predecessor the new handset gets a larger screen (3.65") and slightly faster processor (1GHz), but retains the original's 5 Megapixel camera and (sadly) the HVGA display. 3GB onboard storage is included which is of course backed up with a microSD slot. The phone runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread and packs a 1300mAh battery into it's 11.2mm thick frame.

Next is LG, with their 'Optimus Two'.

Again, the Optimus Two is an obvious successor to their well received Optimus One device. Specifications are generally inferior to the Galaxy Ace Plus and very similar (read: identical?) to the Optimus One... that means a 3.2" HVGA screen, 800MHz processor, Android 2.3 Gingerbread, 3.2 Megapixel Camera and a 1,500 mAh battery in it's 11.9mm body. The currently annouced Optimus Two is for CDMA networks but our sources tell us a GSM variant with very similar specifications will be announced shortly.

Both devices are relatively sound machines but on the whole offer only minimal upgrades over the last generation. I wonder how they will fare as the current mid to high end handsets fall in price as they are replaced... should manufacturers be churning out these handsets or taking advantage of price falls on Smartphones coming to end-of-life to bring them to the more budget conscious users? Discuss! :)

Posted Image

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

I would recommend the Samsung ace plus to my mum who is getting really frustrated with her n8 so might pop out and get one this weekend. I would recommend it to my dad as well but he just recently got a xperia play. I have a LG p920 and had a LG before that and don't really like them so not bothered about the LG optimus two

Guest FatherD

The more 4"+ screens & dual-core+ devices hit the market .. the less appealing these smaller, less powerful devices are! LG, judging by their past record on updates, will flog and forget the Optimus2. Also, compared to older devices like the Orange San Fran, what do these offer as advancements at a budget price? - in my opinion; nothing! Are there better alternatives - absolutely, it won't be long before used Desire S, Moto Atrix & Optimus Black are under looking keen on ebay!

Guest ThermalDroid

@FatherD well you can pick up the rather magnificent xperia live for the same price as a san fran 2 (£99) and a 1GHz processor is still appealing despite the small screen, budget phones are for the younger audience generally and how many kids do you think want a quad core beast?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.