Stream Via DLNA AND output result Via HDMI?

Guest ruggs1234

Guest ruggs1234

This forum has been very useful so far in helping me get the most from my new Optimus 2X.

But if I could ask one more question. Is it possible to stream an unremakable AVI file (again, US TV shows) and, using the HDMI ouput, send the result to a TV, without the picture stuttering?

Im not interested in streaming HD video...just SD stuff.

What I have found so far is video streams ok to watch on the phone (Twonky server on my pc, in-built video player or MX Player on the phone) but when I connect the HDMI it seems as though the phone struggles to handle both the streaming and the HDMI output at the same time. The picture stutters.

Has anyone managed to make this work reliably. (the tv doesnt have DLNA built in!)

Again, many thanks in advance.

Guest everett_psycho

What rom are you using? I know the stable cm7 rom I had for a while disliked the HDMI output. Have you tried something stored locally to see if its just the HDMI port causing the issue?

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk

Guest ruggs1234

What rom are you using? I know the stable cm7 rom I had for a while disliked the HDMI output. Have you tried something stored locally to see if its just the HDMI port causing the issue?

Thankyou for your suggestion. Im on stock Gingerbread, and, as a previous thread about watching HD stored locally through HDMI proves, my HDMI playback is fine.

What i'm hoping is someone with this phone might try streaming an SD video from a server using DLNA (Smartshare or possibly another app) and see how the output looks via HDMI on a TV (possibly using the in-built video player or something like MX Player). It might be that the playback stutters like mine, then at least I would know there is nothing I can do. Otherwise what apps do you use to achieve stutter free viewing? (The nearest I get is using Imediashare and MX Player)

Edited by ruggs1234

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cainn24

Thankyou for your suggestion. Im on stock Gingerbread, and, as a previous thread about watching HD stored locally through HDMI proves, my HDMI playback is fine.

What i'm hoping is someone with this phone might try streaming an SD video from a server using DLNA (Smartshare or possibly another app) and see how the output looks via HDMI on a TV (possibly using the in-built video player or something like MX Player). It might be that the playback stutters like mine, then at least I would know there is nothing I can do. Otherwise what apps do you use to achieve stutter free viewing? (The nearest I get is using Imediashare and MX Player)

I can definitely stream standard definition video across my wireless network, to my phone, and then from my phone to my TV over HDMI, without stuttering. It's just that sometimes I have to muck around a bit to get an acceptable result. The last time I tried it it took a long time for videos to start playing, seeking was painfully slow and once playback commenced there was indeed quite a bit of stuttering. At that point I exited MX Player and tried manually configuring HDMI output to 480p and tried again. The problem went away. Then I tried manually setting it at 1080p. Playback was still flawless. Even after setting it back to "Auto" I had no further problems.

The time before that I don't remember having any issues at all.

My setup is pretty simple: I use ES File Explorer to browse Windows shares (Samba shares in my case, since I run Linux) on my main PC. MX Player is my media player of choice.

All this is very anecdotal I know. I can't offer any insight as to why mucking about with the HDMI output options made any difference at all. In fact there's always the chance that it actually didn't. In any case, I hope this somehow helps you some.

Edited by cainn24

Guest everett_psycho

I've just started to rip my DVDs to my Jas and the o2x is struggling on cm7, I think my router is the cause though, I seem to not get full wifi signal on my phone when in sat 5 foot away looking at it so when I ditch sky I'll see what other router I get given and consider buying a decent one

• 5 months later...
Guest ruggs1234

I appreciate this is an older thread but, as I am the original poster, I thought I would share how I "solved" this problem.

Another unrelated thread on XDA gave me the clue to my problem. I am on stock 2.3, which suffers from a ram memory leak, which slows the phone down over time. I deceided to see how long my 2X could stay up and still be usuable. At 100 hours or so my native browser became very unstable on wifi, but on 3G was fine. It seems after a long up time the wifi on this phone is all over the place.

I then realised that my original streaming problem may have been due to long up-time. When I first got the phone I didnt know about the memory leak/wifi problems. Now I reboot once every day. So I tried streaming and outputting the result via hdmi again for the first time yesterday, after a fresh reboot. And it works perfectly, no stuttering at all. I watched a full avi movie, streamed from my laptop, through the phone, onto the tv, via the hdmi output.

Ive posted just in case this helps anyone in similar circumstances.

Once you know the quirks of this handset (thanks to everyone here and xda), it really is a terrific mobile!

Guest everett_psycho

I have to reboot regularly, if I don't my wifi just changes to error and won't connect. That was on cm7.2 but I'm trying the eaglesblood from from xda and so far that's not been an issue which is nice

Guest ruggs1234

Interesting everett_psycho...I also got the wifi error message after about 150 hours of up-time.

But I reboot fairly often anyway, so im now very happy with this mobile!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mankian

The Wifi error is a hardware fault... I had an o2x that did that but it went back eventually, they replaced it and never had the problem since....