playing with kernels

Guest syst3m68

Guest syst3m68

just wondering if this is a good idea, i know that tilal rather needs it, i have a friend who has the knowledge to help me do this and if its wanted i can try. :)

Guest syst3m68

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

can't promise but my effort is there as i myself want a 3.0 kernel and why keep it to myself when i can give to the community? :)

Guest PedroVader

I knew we'd get here in the end, Skate forum is growing, people coming out of the woodwork with skills and assistance.....just brilliant, I think we'll take up your kind offer, just as soon as Tilal sees this thread ;-)

Sent from my ZTE Skate using Tapatalk

Guest syst3m68

Absolutely - if you and your friend can do it I would be eternally grateful

i'll have a word with him tomorrow, as we have quite some experience with the linux kernel, and i personally want to do more than flash a ROM through recovery, i want to help build those ROMs!

not sure how much time compilation will take though, or when it will be started, more than likely tomorrow. :)

Guest tilal6991

i'll have a word with him tomorrow, as we have quite some experience with the linux kernel, and i personally want to do more than flash a ROM through recovery, i want to help build those ROMs!

not sure how much time compilation will take though, or when it will be started, more than likely tomorrow. :)

Compiliation of android kerenls usually takes no longer than 20 minutes or so :)

I wish you luck - keep me posted :D

Guest syst3m68

Will a 3.0 kernel only be of benefit for ICS or will it be usable in CM7 & Atomic ?

i'm doing this mainly for the hardware acceleration of tilals CM9 port, but thought i'd give it out, as i was going to keep to myself >:)

just need to wait for tilal to PM me some sources then can get going properly :)

Guest syst3m68

USB host mode (USB OTG) would also be good, apparently it just needs enabled in the kernel

i'll enable that and also snoop for other features. :)

also my next job is the Camera. any ideas? :P

Hey Pier! Will you contribute to this project too?

I don't have the device.

But kernels catch my interest last two month+ since I'm deep into porting for Pulse :)

Guest syst3m68

I don't have the device.

But kernels catch my interest last two month+ since I'm deep into porting for Pulse :)

The hardware layer is indeed an interesting one :0

Guest skywave

Not here to spoil your party guys but you really should know this. MSM7x27A != MSM7x27, the latter is in our devices. The first is a upgraded version of our chip and with upgraded i mean everything is different. There's an armv7 chip in it, the adreno200 got upgraded, its just very different. There is no single work done by CAF on msm7x27 regarding the kernel, they made 3-4 commits on the device tree however. Also there is no manifest file for the x27.

But for getting that kernel to work is one heck of a job, even get a aurora kernel ported to zte hasn't been successfully done by anyone. ZTE made a real real real mess of it, its already very hard to understand the modifications they made to the kernel, they made a chaos of it. Threw around pieces of codes, changed ordering of structs..

But then again, that makes the fun of pulling it off only better. Its true that to be able to use the more newer drivers that interface with ICS, its very dependent on the kernel.

Guest syst3m68

Not here to spoil your party guys but you really should know this. MSM7x27A != MSM7x27, the latter is in our devices. The first is a upgraded version of our chip and with upgraded i mean everything is different. There's an armv7 chip in it, the adreno200 got upgraded, its just very different. There is no single work done by CAF on msm7x27 regarding the kernel, they made 3-4 commits on the device tree however. Also there is no manifest file for the x27.

But for getting that kernel to work is one heck of a job, even get a aurora kernel ported to zte hasn't been successfully done by anyone. ZTE made a real real real mess of it, its already very hard to understand the modifications they made to the kernel, they made a chaos of it. Threw around pieces of codes, changed ordering of structs..

But then again, that makes the fun of pulling it off only better. Its true that to be able to use the more newer drivers that interface with ICS, its very dependent on the kernel.

you say 'heck of a job', not impossible, as i say i can't promise i can do it, just try my god damn best. i will do it, no matter how many days/weeks this takes me, and i agree with the mess part. so true. >_> but the android fork of linux is a mess in its self, so they've followed by example.

MSM7x27A != MSM7x27, the latter is in our devices.

What is MSM7x27A?

pdadb.net knows MSM7227T and MSM7627T. They are newer generation than MSM7627, bit still use armv6

Edited by pier11

Guest tilal6991

you say 'heck of a job', not impossible, as i say i can't promise i can do it, just try my god damn best. i will do it, no matter how many days/weeks this takes me, and i agree with the mess part. so true. >_> but the android fork of linux is a mess in its self, so they've followed by example.

Yeah. At least its better than huawei. Huaweis is so bad its unreadable and any patch breaks it. Plus they don't release their wlan source so if you try and change the kernel too much it breaks wifi

As you say if you have a look at the x86 parts compared to the arm parts - even on stock android there's a massive difference.

Guest syst3m68

Yeah. At least its better than huawei. Huaweis is so bad its unreadable and any patch breaks it. Plus they don't release their wlan source so if you try and change the kernel too much it breaks wifi

As you say if you have a look at the x86 parts compared to the arm parts - even on stock android there's a massive difference.

well the hardest part of this for me is getting the tools together, on Windows easy as pie, on Gentoo, its alot harder to get hold of, still software searching, need ARM emulators etc... :P

and i wouldn't know, i've only had a Samsung Spica and OMC. :)

Guest syst3m68

that means installing it, i have windows dual partitioned, but linux is easier in linux, doing it over 2 laptops too, so a nice server link. :)

EDIT: You are incredibly right though, so much easier. i miss sudo apt-get install. :P

Edited by syst3m68

Guest tilal6991
that means installing it, i have windows dual partitioned, but linux is easier in linux, doing it over 2 laptops too, so a nice server link.

Can't you use Wubi?