Newb questions

Guest stonebear

Guest stonebear

I just got the phone charged and gave it a try and noticed a fault already, when I try to move a widget the screen scrolls to the right the whole time, not just when I puch to the edge, so I am going to install a custom rom now...it was always the plan anyway.

Also, I cannot adjust the screen brightness? The option is greyed out.

When I turn on USB storage I get two drives, I assume one can be called the "internal SD" and the other the "external sd" - where do I place the custom rom I am going to flash. I assume it is on the external SD?

I read somewhere that the O2X actually calls the internal memory the SD card and that can confuse rom manager? If I do a nand backup where will it be saved to?

I just installed Kang CM7, it seemed to flash in about 2 seconds and now I am stuck on an screen with LG on it, what has gone wrong?

So I had done a backup first and now I am trying to restore and getting an error message "can't mount system".

Edited by stonebear

Guest mankian

I assume you've installed clockworkmod recovery? If not install that first, using RomManager. (why I wrote this when you cant boot ill never know. anyway...)

Then, reboot your phone into clockworkmod recovery (with the phone turned off, hold volume down + power and keep holding until not the first but the second LG logo appears (has a blue hazey background i think)).

Then install the CM Kang from here, NOT from rom manager.

Once installed, do a factory reset (format /data and /cache). There is an option in clockworkmod to do this...

YOu should be able to boot now. Just make sure you install "LG GetRil" and download the correct RIL for your baseband once your booted into CM. Good luck!

Edited by mankian

Guest stonebear

I assume you've installed clockworkmod recovery? If not install that first, using RomManager. (why I wrote this when you cant boot ill never know. anyway...)

Then, reboot your phone into clockworkmod recovery (with the phone turned off, hold volume down + power and keep holding until not the first but the second LG logo appears (has a blue hazey background i think)).

Then install the CM Kang from here, NOT from rom manager.

Once installed, do a factory reset (format /data and /cache). There is an option in clockworkmod to do this...

YOu should be able to boot now. Just make sure you install "LG GetRil" and download the correct RIL for your baseband once your booted into CM. Good luck!

Thanks

I installed using this http://android.modac...-lg-optimus-2x/

Entered recovery and then flashed CM7, it just won't seem to take.

So I got back into recovery and flashed this http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1408919 and I think that has worked.

hmmm....

weird...also why would it not restore the backup I had just done?

edit

the V20o seems to be working so at least I am not panicking now. :)

I still can't adjust screen brightness though. And the screen still scrolls to the right when I try to move a widget or app shortcut.

Edited by stonebear

Guest mparack

Thanks

I installed using this http://android.modac...-lg-optimus-2x/

Entered recovery and then flashed CM7, it just won't seem to take.

So I got back into recovery and flashed this http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1408919 and I think that has worked.

hmmm....

weird...also why would it not restore the backup I had just done?

I think you used quite an old version of CWM. Best option is to install ROM manager from the market and flash the latest CWM available.

On your earlier issues, the widget and icons moving, there is a feature in stock ROMS that allow you to position the icons to other screens by tilting the phone so either you had the phone tilted or your tilt sensor is not calibrated or not working. You can access the options in Settings>Gestures

Further tips,

Use an app like systemapk manager to freeze apps you don't need but keep running in the background. Typically, I freeze SNS, Car Home, LG Email, Peasily unfreeze anything you C Sync, Protips, Preloaded Apps, and most of the widgets that I do not need. This is a very unintrusive method and you can easily unfreeze if anything goes wrong. You also have the option to remove the system apps with titanium but restoring is harder.

Guest stonebear

I think you used quite an old version of CWM. Best option is to install ROM manager from the market and flash the latest CWM available.

On your earlier issues, the widget and icons moving, there is a feature in stock ROMS that allow you to position the icons to other screens by tilting the phone so either you had the phone tilted or your tilt sensor is not calibrated or not working. You can access the options in Settings>Gestures

Further tips,

Use an app like systemapk manager to freeze apps you don't need but keep running in the background. Typically, I freeze SNS, Car Home, LG Email, Peasily unfreeze anything you C Sync, Protips, Preloaded Apps, and most of the widgets that I do not need. This is a very unintrusive method and you can easily unfreeze if anything goes wrong. You also have the option to remove the system apps with titanium but restoring is harder.

Thanks again, yea by using CWM 4 I was using an old version, that might be why it would not flash CM7, also might explain why it would not restore backup?

I just downloaded rom manager and it has installed the latest version for me.

I have Titanium Pro so I will freeze what I don't need, I used to do that on my Acer.

Thanks for explaining the screen scrolling issue. :)

Any idea why I can't adjust brightness or screen time-out? (I just googled it, it is because I have no sim in the phone).

Edited by stonebear

Guest mparack

Thanks again, yea by using CWM 4 I was using an old version, that might be why it would not flash CM7, also might explain why it would not restore backup?

I just downloaded rom manager and it has installed the latest version for me.

I have Titanium Pro so I will freeze what I don't need, I used to do that on my Acer.

Thanks for explaining the screen scrolling issue. :)

Any idea why I can't adjust brightness or screen time-out?

I had a similar issue where I couldn't restore backups with Paul's CWM version.

No idea about the brightness issue. Is it in the settings menu or just the power widget? Are you saying that you can't do it even with the V20O ROM? Try wiping and reinstalling.

Guest stonebear

I had a similar issue where I couldn't restore backups with Paul's CWM version.

No idea about the brightness issue. Is it in the settings menu or just the power widget? Are you saying that you can't do it even with the V20O ROM? Try wiping and reinstalling.

Oh OK, I should be OK to restore now then.

I found out the screen brightness issue, I edited previous post. :)