Pocket goes beyond your pocket with a great desktop client

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

One of my favourite apps for Android is 'Pocket'.

Pocket is a fantastic free application (with an optional paid Pro key to remove ads) which lets you store all your sensitive data such as bank account details and passwords on your phone. Pocket is also useful for remembering all those bits and pieces of information in one place from frequent flier numbers to contact lens prescriptions. When you use Pocket, your data is encrypted using the industry standard AES-256. Only you will be able to access your data via a master password. Even if you lose your phone your data will still be safe. For extra security, Pocket doesn't store your master password locally on the device, but rather as a SHA-512 hash. In addition, Pocket self-locks after a timeout period and clears the clipboard to ensure your data is protected.

One of my favourite features about Pocket is that it automatically syncs to Dropbox so you can keep multiple devices in sync... and now there's a desktop client which makes this even more useful!

Available for Windows or Mac / Linux as a JAR file, the desktop version loads your Pocket file from your Dropbox folder and works great. It looks very similar to the Android version but brings all the benefits that a real keyboard and a big screen bring to entering your data! I'm happy! :D

Maybe today is the day to write in all that important information that you'd really need if you lost your wallet, your house burned down etc. etc... ;)

Check out Pocket on the Android Market or on the developer's blog for the desktop version.

4c84159753813b4cc5c33849057072b2.png

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.