OLED-friendly 'dark' Google apps now available

Guest Novek

Google really like their white backgrounds. Users of OLED devices on the other hand? Not so much.

In addition to richer blacks, OLED displays burn battery in proportion to the amount of screen that's 'lit' - in the case of apps such as Gmail, that ends up being quite a lot.

If like me you're a heavy user of your mobile device(s) during the day and are lucky enough to have an OLED device then this simple tweak could improve your battery life dramatically.

The solution, posted by themer rujelus22@XDA doesn't only give you the gorgeous black and blue experience, but it's actually more battery friendly than the original apps. These apps aren't just darker, they're pretty much inverted (some aspects are themed to look better than "inverted")! B)

As stated by the creator, the original apps have to be uninstalled before you can install the themed ones. Flashing the "full package" didn't work on my CM7 installation (it might on yours), but installing the APKs one by one after uninstallation worked. So right now I'm running these pretty apps in inverted mode!

Check after the break for screenshots, details of which apps have been themed thus far and a link to the files required. :D

The apps already themed:

• Facebook

• Twitter

• Dropbox

• ICS Keyboard

• Gmail

• Market

• Music Player

• Google Translate

• Google Documents

• Google Voice

• Google +

• Google Talk

Expect more apps to join the above as time goes by.

Posted Image

Source: XDA

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest Voxpop2011

Pity this is only for OLED devices. As someone with pretty crap eyesight, I have been using 'inverted colours' on computers for many years. I find white on black so much less invasive to my vision than the standard black on acres of white.

Edited by Voxpop2011

These apps doesn't use the same signature as the market ones, so they won't get auto updated. But then again, you won't get the update with inverted colors without rujelus22 making new versions.

You can use the apps on LCD screens too, but the effect won't be the same ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.