ZTE posted SFII update

Guest jasonleeds

Guest jasonleeds

downloaded and gave a look...

its the handset update software so looks like zte a starting to support.

Gunna have a poke around see if I can find any updates

----

Not sure it this has been found already but found "2.6.35 Kernel" source code.

http://supporthk.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1001502&strName=%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20ZTE%20Blade%20II%20Series%20-%20Gingerbread%20k%E2%80%A6

Edited by jasonleeds

Guest Reider59

I was dubious about trying the update as it might not work with the changed ROMS we use. Also, if the kernel file has changed then we already have had problems and needed to add the specific kernel file in the past. All except one version of ROM, the Fish N Chips ROM R2 for the Crescent. So it was I decided to give it a go and perhaps add the updated kernel file separately when its available in zip format like the one we use now. This is what I did on my SFII;

Downloaded the Windows installer from ZTE

Run the update.exe and installed

Run the desktop icon for the updater program itself

It needed FTM mode and mine is rooted and uses CWM Restore when the Vol down and power is pressed. So I unmounted the MicroSD Card, took it out and put the original Orange ROM on the SD Root and placed it back into the phone. Disconnected the USB lead. Restarted the phone in CWM (restore mode). Wiped factory data, wiped the cache, wiped the Dalvik cache in advanced. Installed the standard Orange ROM and at completion I rebooted the system (phone). Skipped through all settings after the phone rebooted (pointless setting them as I needed to replace the ROM again), turned it off. Restarted the phone with VOL down pressed and got into FTM mode.

Reconnected the USB lead. Started the ZTE Skate Handset Software Update Tool. Waited approx 30 mins for the new software update to be downloaded, updated and completed. Started the phone then needed to put CWM (restore) back on to change the ROM. To do this I needed to root the phone again, as follows;

Ran all of the following from http://android.modac...d-now-complete/ The middle box only slowly and logically, checking for spelling mistakes and typos;

Boot up phone

Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)

Install Drivers.

Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"

Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there

Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img

It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.

Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot

Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!

Only error luckilly was my machine saying something about a drive being empty, it did this a few times and I pressed cancel each time. This may have something to do with a user stating he had to unmount a drive after plugging in the USB cable, so that ADB would run. See http://android.modac...ng-adb-to-work/ for reference, only a guess but cancel worked for me on the SFII anyway.

Once I had CWM (restore) back I once again wiped factory data, cache, Dalvik cache, flashed the Fish N Chips R2 ROM as this has the exact files necessary for the SFII without adding a separate kernel file. Something I wanted to avoid for now as its alledged the kernel file has changed. I guess this will be available seperately soon. Then we can apply it after the ROM change and have the updated kernel file.

I changed my boot animation after this, back to the one I had before the update. Finally back into the Fish N Chips/Nemus R2 ROM. Added Titanium Backup and put all my apps/data back on. Will test over the next few days.

Unless you`re willing to "risk it for a biscuit" I`d leave this a little while till others try it out who know how all the bits n pieces work (not me). Then when its more mainstream and ready to use go for it. If your phone is unrooted then no problems. If it is rooted either exercise some restraint or take the chance it will work with your ROM of choice. Will you take the Red pill or the blue pill? No black pills left. wink.gif

Edited by Reider59

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I was dubious about trying the update as it might not work with the changed ROMS we use. Also, if the kernel file has changed then we already have had problems and needed to add the specific kernel file in the past. All except one version of ROM, the Fish N Chips ROM R2 for the Crescent. So it was I decided to give it a go and perhaps add the updated kernel file separately when its available in zip format like the one we use now. This is what I did on my SFII;

Downloaded the Windows installer from ZTE

Run the update.exe and installed

Run the desktop icon for the updater program itself

It needed FTM mode and mine is rooted and uses CWM Restore when the Vol down and power is pressed. So I unmounted the MicroSD Card, took it out and put the original Orange ROM on the SD Root and placed it back into the phone. Disconnected the USB lead. Restarted the phone in CWM (restore mode). Wiped factory data, wiped the cache, wiped the Dalvik cache in advanced. Installed the standard Orange ROM and at completion I rebooted the system (phone). Skipped through all settings after the phone rebooted (pointless setting them as I needed to replace the ROM again), turned it off. Restarted the phone with VOL down pressed and got into FTM mode.

Reconnected the USB lead. Started the ZTE Skate Handset Software Update Tool. Waited approx 30 mins for the new software update to be downloaded, updated and completed. Started the phone then needed to put CWM (restore) back on to change the ROM. To do this I needed to root the phone again, as follows;

Ran all of the following from http://android.modac...d-now-complete/ The middle box only slowly and logically, checking for spelling mistakes and typos;

Only error luckilly was my machine saying something about a drive being empty, it did this a few times and I pressed cancel each time. This may have something to do with a user stating he had to unmount a drive after plugging in the USB cable, so that ADB would run. See http://android.modac...ng-adb-to-work/ for reference, only a guess but cancel worked for me on the SFII anyway.

Once I had CWM (restore) back I once again wiped factory data, cache, Dalvik cache, flashed the Fish N Chips R2 ROM as this has the exact files necessary for the SFII without adding a separate kernel file. Something I wanted to avoid for now as its alledged the kernel file has changed. I guess this will be available seperately soon. Then we can apply it after the ROM change and have the updated kernel file.

I changed my boot animation after this, back to the one I had before the update. Finally back into the Fish N Chips/Nemus R2 ROM. Added Titanium Backup and put all my apps/data back on. Will test over the next few days.

Unless you`re willing to "risk it for a biscuit" I`d leave this a little while till others try it out who know how all the bits n pieces work (not me). Then when its more mainstream and ready to use go for it. If your phone is unrooted then no problems. If it is rooted either exercise some restraint or take the chance it will work with your ROM of choice. Will you take the Red pill or the blue pill? No black pills left. wink.gif

Uhm...

What was the point?

The ZTE update software is to update your stock rom, the rom that Orange put in the phone, it's not made for updating any custom rom, also if you update the stock rom using the software then it still won't be rooted.

I downloaded it (and uploaded to a filehost) purely as a failsafe backup, to be able to update the stock rom "officially", in a fantasy world we would use it to update to the ICS update ZTE would release, of course, that's in a fantasy world cos, knowing ZTE they won't bother.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Reider59

No problem. I read "its the handset update software" and saw it as possible changes to the phone itself. ROM changes weren`t mentioned. Just a little bit of time wasted that`s all, no harm done.