MEEP! a little tablet for kids

Guest dialmformostyn

Guest dialmformostyn

No, not a junior paracetamol, rather an Android device for children.

Smartphones and tablets are a natural plaything for small children - my two-year-old niece loves them and (as a testament to intuitive UI design) can use them surprisingly well. She switches on, unlocks and watches videos, plays games and reads interactive books, all on her own.

I say “on her own,” but the thought of her lugging around several hundred pounds sterling of ASUS Transformer or Galaxy Nexus with jam-covered fingers has my heart in my throat, so I’m constantly coiled, ready to leap headfirst between my falling gadgets and the hard floor.

I need a MEEP! and by MEEP! I mean the new 7” Android tablet from Oregon Scientific, designed with children in mind.

Posted Image

More after the break...

Coloured rubber grips double as bumpers/shock absorbers when the inevitable drops occur, and the size looks suitable for toddlers to get along well with. While specific details (including price) are a little thin on the ground, reports reveal that it will be WiFi capable, have an SD card slot and G-sensor.

Times that by Android and the aforementioned videos, games and books ought to be easily accessible.

Of course, the tablet will feature parental controls (accessible remotely) meaning kids can be left to their own devices (ba-dum tsh!) without the grown-ups panicking they might stumble upon something they shouldn’t. I, for one, hope the screen is a tough little capacitive jobbie - a cheap resistive screen would make this a nightmare to use for an adult or child.

The tablet is to be unveiled at the American International Toy Fair this coming weekend. Hopefully, this will be a piece of kit worth coming back to.

Source: PR Newswire

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest BashyUK

Would love one of these for my 3 yr old - I've had to resort to telling him the phone doesn't play games anymore and feel bad lol - You're rgiht though, they know how to use them so it makes sense for this type of durable device to come out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.