New LG o2x in Canada - frustrated with stock ROM. Options? Suggestions?

Guest goldenmeadow

Guest goldenmeadow

Hi everybody!

I posted the same topic on xda forum but decided to post it here as well so I can get more replies...

I see here a lot of people from Europe but I'm in Canada and hope for some help.

I just got LG o2x and trying to use it with cheap data plan in Ontario through 7/11 Speakout.

First problem - they filter traffic so I have to use proxy. And even then phone is really slow and sometimes even market has to be reloaded couple times... My connection drops sometimes inside the factory I work in and then doesn't pick up... I guess you know.

I've read about people saying that this phone has great hardware but poor software smile.gif

I already rooted my phone (to get autoproxy running).

Now I need to put custom ROM and kernel...

That's where it gets confusing. I have Barnes&Nobles Nook Color with CM7.1 on it. And I like it. Also I have Acer A500 with stock HC3.2. But I'm still dummy in Android smile.gif

From what I understand I can put CM7.1 (Thanatos2x v5.1 or Temasek's Kang), MoDaCo. Right? Any other suggestions? But then there is tonns of kernels... How to choose? I just need basic features to surf net and create hot spot for my kids tablets smile.gif

And another question is BASEBANDS. What are they and should I change it or not? I'm in Canada but getRIL says I have:

RIL 0725 (V20I, Italy)

Baseband 1035.21_20110725.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointing to right direction!

Aleks

Hi everybody!

I posted the same topic on xda forum but decided to post it here as well so I can get more replies...

I see here a lot of people from Europe but I'm in Canada and hope for some help.

I just got LG o2x and trying to use it with cheap data plan in Ontario through 7/11 Speakout.

First problem - they filter traffic so I have to use proxy. And even then phone is really slow and sometimes even market has to be reloaded couple times... My connection drops sometimes inside the factory I work in and then doesn't pick up... I guess you know.

I've read about people saying that this phone has great hardware but poor software smile.gif

I already rooted my phone (to get autoproxy running).

Now I need to put custom ROM and kernel...

That's where it gets confusing. I have Barnes&Nobles Nook Color with CM7.1 on it. And I like it. Also I have Acer A500 with stock HC3.2. But I'm still dummy in Android smile.gif

From what I understand I can put CM7.1 (Thanatos2x v5.1 or Temasek's Kang), MoDaCo. Right? Any other suggestions? But then there is tonns of kernels... How to choose? I just need basic features to surf net and create hot spot for my kids tablets smile.gif

And another question is BASEBANDS. What are they and should I change it or not? I'm in Canada but getRIL says I have:

RIL 0725 (V20I, Italy)

Baseband 1035.21_20110725.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointing to right direction!

Aleks

I'm also in Canada (Fido in BC) and I've had pretty good luck with both Gr6 and Fr19. I used CM nightly builds and KANGs for a whole but I ended up being kind of put off by the hackish nature of how a lot of the stuff worked on this particular phone. (eg. the SD card mounts, etc.)... Currently I'm on Fr19 and running the 0823 baseband for the last few days. Has been the most reliable for me so far...

Guest mankian

If it was mine, I would flash baseband 0823 (available on XDA somewhere I think!) and then install the latest Cyanogenmod nightly. I would not bother with kangs or kernels. The automatic nightly build is running again so get the latest nightly direct from Cyanogenmod website!

Google apps is another PITA to find. Try and find the google apps with market 3.4.4 as this is the latest one for gingerbread I think!

Make sure you get the 0823 RIL too using getril!

The 0823 RIL/Baseband are for the Canadian P990 but I use them on my UK one too with very good results!

• 1 month later...
Guest SuperSkill

If you're voice and signalquality are good no benefit in flashing bb. Romchoice I'm DjangoManouche fan, 2 I would try atomic here at modaco and Topogigi just released nostalgic rom at xda(froyo). You should also try cm9 from Owain or nova. As for kernels Spica1234 are the King, he made otf for us, all news regarding kernels come from spica1234. Try some and decide then what you love, we can only give you our subjective opinions and they will varie from man to man, girl to girl :D

Guest mparack

If you're voice and signalquality are good no benefit in flashing bb. Romchoice I'm DjangoManouche fan, 2 I would try atomic here at modaco and Topogigi just released nostalgic rom at xda(froyo). You should also try cm9 from Owain or nova. As for kernels Spica1234 are the King, he made otf for us, all news regarding kernels come from spica1234. Try some and decide then what you love, we can only give you our subjective opinions and they will varie from man to man, girl to girl :D

+1 for DjangoManouche. Thanatos was good too but too many reboots on wifi toggle. I'd use Spica's Kernel with Django Manouche. Have been using it for a while now with very minor niggles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest RTKfan

Here's a quick update for y'all: I've found that the work of Stefan Guendhor (aka Gueste) seems to play well with our phones up here. I've got his stock-based ROM ("Goodbye", http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1504280) which comes with his kernel running on my phone with the 0725 V20m baseband and things have been pretty good. I do notice that after ~80 hours the phone slows down to a crawl (people have attributed this to a memleak somewhere, but I don't know the details) -- but I've been trying out zepplinrox's V6 Supercharger script (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1513187), which he claims fixes the memory management. We'll see how that works out.

Good luck!