I couldn't find a forum for the Z990, so I posted here - if anybody feels, this needs to be moved elsewhere, please go ahead.
All these Howto's have been tested by myself, however, these come with no guarantee whatsoever. I will not be responsible for any damage to your equipment!
Proceed with caution, there's a chance you might brick your phone!
Let's start with the most interesting HowTo:
HowTo unlock a ZTE-Z990
This set of instructions is mostly based on the steps outlined in other ZTE device related posts, but it takes some different sets of files to succeed.
Part I: save your Wifi settings
- Google for "QPST 2.7 366", download, install
- Set your phone to FTM mode (turn off, hold vol down & power for 5 seconds, display will show FTM)
- Connect your phone to USB port
- From the QPST program folder, run Software Download
- Select Backup tab, then hit Start
- You now have a file containing a backup of your NVRAM, including the WIFI MAC address. Note the file name and folder of the backup file
- Close "Software Download", right-click the globe icon in the status bar, select "Stop QPST server"
Part II: flash the device
- Get the flasher tool, extract to a folder of your choice, e.g. c:\flasher
- Get the v1.0.0B29 firmware package, extract to c:\flasher\files
- Start Unlock.exe. The status below the Start button should be "Ready".
- Hit Start. This will take 5-10 minutes. Be patient, do not interrupt the process! The phone will restart at ~98%, and switch back to FTM. Wait for completion!
- Close the flasher tool.
Part III: restore Wifi settings
- Open "Software Download" again.
- This time, select "Restore". Enter the name and folder of the qcn file you just generated.
- Hit Start to write back settings to the phone
Done! Your phone is now unlocked, and will accept any SIM of your choice!
Let's move on...
HowTo root a ZTE-Z990
Does not require any prerequisites.
This is the long way, I'm sure there are simpler solutions. Should you have any, please feel free to share with us.
- Boot the phone, enable USB debugging in Applications->Development->USB-Debugging
- Download this package
- Open a shell and run adb-windows.exe devices, it should list a P736T. If it doesn't, make sure drivers are installed.
- now type these commands:
- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs (ignore any errors)
- adb shell mkdir /data/local/logs
- adb shell ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/loglast1.tar.gz
- Use your Z990's dialer to enter *983*7668# and wait, but DON'T PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON. Then wait 10 seconds. This enables root access.
- adb shell echo \"ro.kernel.qemu=1\" > /data/local.prop
- adb reboot
- Wait for the phone to reboot, then type
- adb push su /system/xbin/su
- adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
- adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
- adb shell rm /data/local.prop
- adb shell rm /data/property/persist.sys.ztelog.enable
- adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs
- adb shell rm -r /data/local/rwsystag
Now the phone is rooted, and you are ready to install the Superuser app from the Market.
HowTo change the Bootlogo and sound on a ZTE-Z990
This requires root access.
Get this package, unpack to your phone's sdcard.
The animation is removed, only a still AT&T logo is displayed. In addition, the annoying noise is replaced by a blank mp3 file.
Now use root explorer to copy the Bootsound.mp3 and bootanimation.zip to the below locations.
Flasher tool package
v1.0.0B29 stock firmware package
Edited by mikefm, 01 March 2012 - 08:32 PM.