internal space

Guest TheDatabug

Guest TheDatabug

Hi all

I have just bought an Advent Vega with Vegacomb already installed. So far Im loving it except the screen could be better and the storage is well, very small. I have a question regarding the internal capacity. I thought that the Vega has 512kb for the system Rom and a further 512kb for apps. Now Titanium is showing the following:

System Rom: 158mb (10mb free)

Internal: 314mb (175mb free)

SD Card: 7.95gb (7.59gb free)

so minus the external card that makes a total of only 472mb. Is that correct? I mean is that what it should be?

I know about the trick of getting a decent SDcard (I have a class10 32gb one on order) partitioning the card and formatting one half of it to ext3 and then with the help of link2sd effectively pooling the internal storage. Do I understand this correctly?

So far the biggest SD card I have is a class 4 8gb card which is currently in the device and I have moved every app I can to the SDCard. However this has had some undesired effects on one or two of the apps. I have lost the widgets for apps that have widgets. So I have had to reinstall them back to internal storage. The second problem I have is although some apps allow themselves to be moved ie Google earth they just don't want to work properly from SDCard. they take an age to boot up and in the case of Google earth is just freezes up.

My question is, once I have the faster SDcard and I have it partitioned and formatted will this new storage space work exactly like internal storage? Will Google earth work as normal and will widgets remain?

is the Vegacomb Rom much bigger than stock or other ROMS. The fit seems to be very tight.

And what the hell where Advent thinking with only 512mb of app storage?

Edited by TheDatabug

Guest IanTurner

"And what the hell where Advent thinking with only 512mb of app storage?"

Cost and that is the memory in the base motherboard they are using (same as in the viewpad and pov mobii).

Guest TheDatabug

thank you :(. I was ever hopeful that it was a full 512 for just app storage excluding the OS but oh well. I understand the cost thing but on my phone there is the internal nand memory and an internal sdcard where (most of the apps live? I think.) Couldnt advent have gone for some solution like this as sdcards arent too expensive for half decent storage. You could even use some kind of symlink technology that link2sd provides and actually build it into the system. Surely thats a cost effective means to squeezing a little more usefuless out of a cheap Tablet?

Edited by TheDatabug

Guest xathras

thank you :(. I was ever hopeful that it was a full 512 for just app storage excluding the OS but oh well. I understand the cost thing but on my phone there is the internal nand memory and an internal sdcard where (most of the apps live? I think.) Couldnt advent have gone for some solution like this as sdcards arent too expensive for half decent storage. You could even use some kind of symlink technology that link2sd provides and actually build it into the system. Surely thats a cost effective means to squeezing a little more usefuless out of a cheap Tablet?

Advent had nothing to do with the design of the Vega; they bought it off-the-shelf. The P10AN01 tablets are OEM devices designed way back when by Shuttle to run Android 2.2, and 512MB is quite sufficient for that.