[ROM] Styx (CM6; updated 2012 05 25)

Guest twrock

Guest desalesouche

My guess is that those apps have a required lib file that you are not replacing when you replace the app with the new version. One example is QuickPic. It has a lib file that you must replace as well.

.apk files are a form of zip file. Open whatever app you want to replace with an unzipping program. Look for a /lib folder. Find the *.lib file and extract it (don't remove it from the apk, just make a copy of that one file). Go to /system/lib in the rom. Find the old version of that lib file (usually similar in name, and sometimes the same name). Delete the old lib and replace it with the new lib. Replace the /system/app APK with you new app, and you are good to go.

That's all I can think of that would cause your problem. Good luck.

thank you very much...i manage to do it with your very good explanation...

by the way i found another method...thx to a zip i found to install app... http://www.mediafire.com/?96beqv5fcckbs1v thx to that zip you can place or replace app in system/app...

just put the update you want in the zip or the app you want to place in system...flash it and it is done....(tested with huawei u8660 but must be working with u8220/u8230

i don't like when update take space on system because the old app is not deleted when updated....so i made my update then i move them from data/app to the zip and i flah...after that apps are in system/app and not in data/app :P just another way to do it... ;)

Edited by desalesouche

Guest twrock

thank you very much...i manage to do it with your very good explanation...

by the way i found another method...thx to a zip i found to install app... http://www.mediafire...96beqv5fcckbs1v thx to that zip you can place or replace app in system/app...

just put the update you want in the zip or the app you want to place in system...flash it and it is done....(tested with huawei u8660 but must be working with u8220/u8230

i don't like when update take space on system because the old app is not deleted when updated....so i made my update then i move them from data/app to the zip and i flah...after that apps are in system/app and not in data/app :P just another way to do it... ;)

That is exactly what I have done in the past (just using a generic install file I call APKinstall.zip). However, please remember that if the app you are installing needs to have its lib file installed as well, you need to add a /system/lib folder and put the *.lib file in there, or it still won't work. If you name the *.apk to exactly what the previous version was, you will overwrite it and not have to remove it manually. However, you can not rename the lib file, so you might have to manually remove the old lib file.

Guest twrock

hi .testing it...beats audio is working good...

doc3000 or doc2008 (same person) added this file about dsp in his last port (MIUI_8860_2.5.4_DOC2008_DSP) http://www.mediafire...ev2g3ariiava21k

so i tried it added in /lib... and i am not really convince about it and dsp...it seem to make volume lower.... but a beat more clear....don't know what to think about it really... but may be i already listen too much music today.

so.personnaly adding beats audio is a very good thing.the sound quality is much better with . but i can hear some "craks"sound during transition between songs. at the end and also at beginnig.

is it the same for other people ?

I find it hard to compare with and without Beats. So much just depends on my imagination, and I don't trust that. However, I want to see if that change somehow helps solve the bug where you can't hear the other party when you answer some calls with this rom (unless you click the volume keys after answering the call).

Guest newpulse

hello, does this ROM include Google play? It does not appear in the launcher. Any idea how I can get it installed? many thanks

Guest twrock

hello, does this ROM include Google play? It does not appear in the launcher. Any idea how I can get it installed? many thanks

Yes, Google Play is definitely included in this rom along with a number of other Google apps.

Please go back to the first post and read carefully the Pre-installation requirements and how to install the rom again. My guess is that you are not following the instructions in the first post completely and precisely.

Guest desalesouche

I find it hard to compare with and without Beats. So much just depends on my imagination, and I don't trust that. However, I want to see if that change somehow helps solve the bug where you can't hear the other party when you answer some calls with this rom (unless you click the volume keys after answering the call).

i think that i might have found solution to make audio beats work on 2.2.2(tested on FroyoKai_iGno_v1 rom) you just add the same files but except libcyanogen-dsp.so/libreverbwrapper.so/libvisualizer.so...

it seems to work but as you said there is part of placebo and imagnination....but i think it is working as i can hear the bass as i like... :)

once again thx for all precious infromation you gave

Guest pedrojaime

I am been looking forward to an update for a while because in your last version ADW was locking up after the first reboot and I had to revert to an earlier build. I will test this and try to give you detailed information if I see any issues here. Again, it could be down to my phone's hardware which says U8220-6 on the back of the phone. This is part of the reason why I was trying to trim down the size of the ROM so I don't lose my 3G here in Ecuador.. Thanks to your instructions about updating/removing system apps in this thread I should be good to go now!

Kind Regards,

Peter

Guest pedrojaime

Great news, this latest build of Styx is working fine for me. It looks great, stable, and I was going to say no problems but I have just come across one.. Has anyone lost root installing?? I do not get a superuser prompt when opening up apps that require root and typing 'su' and the terminal just gives me 'Permission denied'. Has anyone else managed to get over this annoyance?

many thanks for a great ROM otherwise,

Peter

EDIT: I have just spotted the superboot thread for Pulse - will try 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh' when I get home and report back..

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest twrock

Great news, this latest build of Styx is working fine for me. It looks great, stable, and I was going to say no problems but I have just come across one.. Has anyone lost root installing?? I do not get a superuser prompt when opening up apps that require root and typing 'su' and the terminal just gives me 'Permission denied'. Has anyone else managed to get over this annoyance?

many thanks for a great ROM otherwise,

Peter

EDIT: I have just spotted the superboot thread for Pulse - will try 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh' when I get home and report back..

Before doing anything desperate, I'd suggest a simple reboot.

Also, did you open Superuser and have a look at what is going on. Are apps showing up? What settings are there? Did you do a full wipe before installing? There are a lot of variables to consider.

Guest twrock

BTW, I've just got to say, "I LOVE THIS ROM!" :D

It's fast, stable, and has great battery life. It has only one bug that effects me, and that is easily worked around (the no sound from caller when answering bug). And I haven't had that happen for quite some time.

The only bad thing about this rom is that I am really unmotivated to work on anything but minor updates to it. Maybe something really unexpected will happen, but unless it does, I think I'll be using this rom until I get a new phone. YMMV, but I'm very satisfied.

And again, let me say that all the really hard work it took to bring us this rom was done by dr.flo, Pier, and a few others. The credit is all theirs, and they should be thanked. (I just do the little tweaking stuff.)

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks for the reply twrock, I have been having wifi issues with my laptop at home so no time to solve this one yet. I did reboot but its the same. I opened superuser and clicked OK on the spash screen and no apps are added as having superuser rights. Its settings say 'prompt always' but whenever I open any program it never gets that far. maybe its time to format the sd card again. I installed without formatting the card.. I am going through all your instructions on the first page again.. Surely there is something simple I have missed out there..

Peter

Guest twrock

In celebration of the 2012 04 07 version going over the 2000 download mark, here's an update:

Styx-620-20120525a.zip

It is a very minor update, basically to update newer apps and to add two "insignificant" lines to build.prop (see the changelog in post #2). Please note that this version does not include Beats Audio. After testing Beats, I determined that is lowered my alarm clock volume and I didn't notice any other significant improvement, so I did not include that in this official release. If you really want that, stick with the 2012 05 19 version I linked above in post #174. I've been running it for the past 24 hours, so I think it is as stable as before.

First and second posts have been updated.

Enjoy.

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Hey twrock, I don't know about minor or not but whatever you did works beatifully. I have amazing battery life with this latest edition of this rom. You also seem to have included functionality so that the phone doesn't wake with the volume buttons - excellent, even more battery left! Fantastic work, I really appreciate all you guys' efforts to build the perfect rom :)

About my losing root..

This is a mystery I am getting close to solving.. Yesterday, playing around, I deleted some /system/app/*.apk's that I never use before flashing the latest .zip file. The surprising result is that by deleting the following I am able to get 'su' after flashing at the terminal:

-drmdialog.apk

-VPNservices.apk

-voicedialer.apk

-voiceservices.apk

-ttsservice.apk

-talk.apk

I tried to just delete one or two to narrow down the specific .apk that causes this bahaviour on my phone but didn't get anywhere so it remains a mystery whether its actually one or more of these apps that makes me lose root. Thanks to this discovery I am able to use this latest version! Hope it helps,

Peter

EDIT: btw, I forgot to mention but I have some hard evidence that the 'Beats audio' adjustments made to this rom definitely work for me. If you start an stop skype, you will notice that the startup and shutdown skype sounds sound better than ever before and the WHOLE sound is reproduced perfectly now! Thanks for your hard work in this area!! This seems evidence enough for me that its working well :)

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest twrock

Hey twrock, I don't know about minor or not but whatever you did works beatifully. I have amazing battery life with this latest edition of this rom. You also seem to have included functionality so that the phone doesn't wake with the volume buttons - excellent, even more battery left! Fantastic work, I really appreciate all you guys' efforts to build the perfect rom :)

About my losing root..

This is a mystery I am getting close to solving.. Yesterday, playing around, I deleted some /system/app/*.apk's that I never use before flashing the latest .zip file. The surprising result is that by deleting the following I am able to get 'su' after flashing at the terminal:

-drmdialog.apk

-VPNservices.apk

-voicedialer.apk

-voiceservices.apk

-ttsservice.apk

-talk.apk

I tried to just delete one or two to narrow down the specific .apk that causes this bahaviour on my phone but didn't get anywhere so it remains a mystery whether its actually one or more of these apps that makes me lose root. Thanks to this discovery I am able to use this latest version! Hope it helps,

Peter

EDIT: btw, I forgot to mention but I have some hard evidence that the 'Beats audio' adjustments made to this rom definitely work for me. If you start an stop skype, you will notice that the startup and shutdown skype sounds sound better than ever before and the WHOLE sound is reproduced perfectly now! Thanks for your hard work in this area!! This seems evidence enough for me that its working well :)

Your trouble with Superuser is an enigma to me. I've not had trouble with that ever before with this rom. What official Huawei update did you start with before installing this rom? One thing that deleting files out of the rom before installing is that it reduces the size of the rom. So you got me thinking that maybe your trouble was related to the /system partition size of your official Huawei update.

Which version of this Styx rom are you using? What date is in the file name? I found that the "Beats" version messed up my alarm clock volume and didn't provide me with any apparent benefits, so I don't use that myself.

I really am happy with the battery life of this rom. I've not experienced that with any other rom. I also find it quite responsive even at 528 MHz. I do use EasyFreezy to freeze apps that I rarely use. Particularly, I keep Google Maps frozen. It likes to try to force its way into memory when I'm not using it. There is no good reason for that, and it is a very large app. That is going to do nothing but slow everything else down.

Enjoy.

Edited by twrock

Guest pedrojaime

Hi twrock,

I am using your latest release (Styx-620-20120525a.zip) and i am really pleased. To be honest, I cannot remember now which baseline version I used to partition /system before flashing with Styx - good question. Thinking about my root issue some more, If it is indeed size-related, then I expect that deleting any other different .apks from /system (that amount to similar file sizes as all of the above apks), and root still works, then logically it would be a problem with my partition size. Thanks for the insight!

Once I have the phone setup as i want it, I can freeze bluetooth and Cyanogenmod settings and everything still works fine for me (including bluetooth surprisingly). I used to freeze Play but there really is no need and can easily break things.

About the battery life, I am amazed - 1% battery loss every 6 hours overnight (without 3G on). So 2% throughout the whole night! This is impressive. Everything is perfect for me now but if I feel adventurous I will reformat with one of your 2 recommended baseline versions before flashing Styx again and report back.

I am also sticking to the default 528/245 CPU speed without any issues, lag and great battery. Over time, I have noticed that there are a few good small apps I stick to and keeping it simple maintains the responsiveness of the phone over time.

thanks a lot and keep up the great work!

Peter

Guest twrock

Hi twrock,

I am using your latest release (Styx-620-20120525a.zip) and i am really pleased. To be honest, I cannot remember now which baseline version I used to partition /system before flashing with Styx - good question. Thinking about my root issue some more, If it is indeed size-related, then I expect that deleting any other different .apks from /system (that amount to similar file sizes as all of the above apks), and root still works, then logically it would be a problem with my partition size. Thanks for the insight!

Once I have the phone setup as i want it, I can freeze bluetooth and Cyanogenmod settings and everything still works fine for me (including bluetooth surprisingly). I used to freeze Play but there really is no need and can easily break things.

About the battery life, I am amazed - 1% battery loss every 6 hours overnight (without 3G on). So 2% throughout the whole night! This is impressive. Everything is perfect for me now but if I feel adventurous I will reformat with one of your 2 recommended baseline versions before flashing Styx again and report back.

I am also sticking to the default 528/245 CPU speed without any issues, lag and great battery. Over time, I have noticed that there are a few good small apps I stick to and keeping it simple maintains the responsiveness of the phone over time.

thanks a lot and keep up the great work!

Peter

Sounds like you possibly started this all with the 2011 UK update. If that is the case, you will have problems. I highly recommend that the next time you attempt to update this or any other rom, you instead start by flashing the Tre or at least the 2010 UK update first (both official roms are linked in the first post of this thread).

If you are using the 20120525a rom, then you do not have Beats installed at all. That rom has the normal sound files. I personally believe that Beats reduced the volume of my alarms, so I reverted to the regular sound files for the May 25 rom release.

Guest pedrojaime

Hey, whatever you did my skype sounds better, maybe its the couple of entries you added to build.prop. It definitely seems to help my sound in general. thanks a lot for your help! :)

On another note, has anybody tried formatting your sd-ext partition as ext3 or ext4? Did it work and was it recognised correctly?

thanks

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest doc_relax

Hey people,

so far this is the best ROM i´ve tested on my 8230. I have one question though: is ist posible to change the keyboard? Problem is, the standard in this rom is touchpal in english. You cant change it to another layout even if you install one. It doesnt work. Even if you download another complete keyboard software (e.g. Swiftkey) and activate it, the darn english touchpal thing still ramains and cant be changed. Has anyone a solution to this?

Best regards from germany

doc

Edited by doc_relax

Guest pedrojaime

Once you have Swiftkey successfully installed and working, freeze android keyboard (don't think its still in this ROM) and Touchpal. Then hold down your finger on an empty field (where you would type something, select input and make sure Swiftkey is set as the default and you should be good to go. I would reboot at this point. You can use Easy-Freezy, Titanium backup or 'System app freezer and remover' apps (among others) to freeze apps to ensure they do not start on boot. Recommended to reboot after freezing and be careful which apps you freeze.. This should work fine for you.

Some observations of mine:

-Has anyone figured out what NetworkLocation.apk does - does it make sure you get charged roaming fees when you travel? I seem to do fine without it and it does not affect my 3G at all.

-If you don't install too many apps, and keep them in phone memory (and the dalvik cache too), the apps will startup faster. Of course, if you are running our of space, then move them to the SD card..

-Finally, has anyone had any success formatting the sd-ext partition as EXT3 or EXT4 out there..??

hope it helps,

Peter

EDIT: Once you are confident you can live without the frozen apps, defrost them, reboot and uninstall them. You may have to use something like 'Root uninstaller' if they are system apps (that came preinstalled in the ROM and are in /system/app folder).

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest twrock

Hey people,

so far this is the best ROM i´ve tested on my 8230. I have one question though: is ist posible to change the keyboard? Problem is, the standard in this rom is touchpal in english. You cant change it to another layout even if you install one. It doesnt work. Even if you download another complete keyboard software (e.g. Swiftkey) and activate it, the darn english touchpal thing still ramains and cant be changed. Has anyone a solution to this?

Best regards from germany

doc

I have many keyboards installed. I can use them all. I don't understand why you would have problems using any other thirdparty keyboard. Are you sure you are turning on the keyboard in the Settings/Language and keyboards? Are you tapping and holding on a text entry area in some app and choosing a different input system?

The Touchpal included in this rom is an older version than the new one in the Market. So the language packs for that new Touchpal don't work with this older one. This older one is much smaller in size, and keeps more memory free. The language packs for this older Touchpal are available, but you have to find them. Do a search here in this forum for "Touchpal language packs" and see what you find.

Guest doc_relax

OMG, I forgot the

"tapping and holding on a text entry area in some app and choosing a different input system" step...

I didn´t remember that quite unlogic step after activating the other keyboard through settings... now it works :-) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest doc_relax

So, having tested this ROM for a few weeks now, I can say that it is the most stable and fastest one by far you can get for this outdated piece of hardware. I strongly recommend this for everyone still using a 8220/8230. Big thumbs up and thanks to everyone still developing for the ugliest smartphone I´ve ever used by now!

Edited by doc_relax

Guest andrems

Some observations of mine:

-Has anyone figured out what NetworkLocation.apk does - does it make sure you get charged roaming fees when you travel? I seem to do fine without it and it does not affect my 3G at all.

Hi,

I have a U8230 for 2 years and have always been watching this great forum. This is by far the most stable and fast ROM I've tried. Thank you for the excellent work.

The only thing I noticed it's missing in this rom is its capability no find my location using network info (Wifi,3G/2G). In google maps, or any other app who needs my location, the only thing that will make it work is GPS signal. No more indoor finding location.

I wonder if it has anything to do with what pedrojaime mentioned before?

Do you think there is an easy way to fix this?

Guest twrock

Hi,

I have a U8230 for 2 years and have always been watching this great forum. This is by far the most stable and fast ROM I've tried. Thank you for the excellent work.

The only thing I noticed it's missing in this rom is its capability no find my location using network info (Wifi,3G/2G). In google maps, or any other app who needs my location, the only thing that will make it work is GPS signal. No more indoor finding location.

I wonder if it has anything to do with what pedrojaime mentioned before?

Do you think there is an easy way to fix this?

I'm not sure. I never use that feature, opting for GPS whenever I want to know where I am.

NetworkLocation.apk is in the rom. What it does is a good question. I don't know. I can confirm that I also can not get a location from 3G or Wifi, only from GPS. But I do a lot of freezing (like Pedrojaime), so maybe it is because of something I froze. But if your installation is "stock", maybe that is another bug of this rom.

More ideas anyone?

Guest andrems

I can confirm that I also can not get a location from 3G or Wifi, only from GPS. But I do a lot of freezing (like Pedrojaime), so maybe it is because of something I froze. But if your installation is "stock", maybe that is another bug of this rom.

Mine is a stock installation. I didn't freeze anything. I've also installed this rom in my father's phone, and has the same issue. I believe it is a bug of this rom. It's a bit annoying because some apps like weather forecasts and others use only this type of location.

Let's hope for some ideas... :)