Photo

How to root your HTC One X Tegra3 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
In order to root devices with unlocked bootloaders, I normally post a 'superboot' image. However, at the time of writing, the HTC One X (Tegra3) has an issue with it's bootloader whereby it is unable to 'fastboot boot' images, so this is not possible. The superboot is posted below for when this is resolved, however for now I have also included an alternate method.

I am currently working directly with HTCDev to solve the 'fastboot boot' issue.

Your bootloader must be unlocked via htcdev.com to use these solutions.

EASIEST ROOT METHOD - 'RECOVERY + SUPERSU'

The easiest way to get root is now to install the official ClockworkMod release and then flash the latest SuperSU zip file. This approach is highly recommended (I also recommend running a backup as soon as you've flashed clockworkmod!)

ALTERNATE ROOT METHOD - 'INSECURE BOOT AND ROOT'

This zip file contains an insecure boot image to flash to your device and a script which will then push the root (SuperSU) files to your device. This is only tested on 1.27.401.2 / 1.27.401.7. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Download
  • InsecureBootAndRoot r3 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: a16bff582cb0e25fd3b422652d753ca7
How to use InsecureBootAndRoot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the InsecureBootAndRoot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then press the power button again to enter fastboot.
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-insecure-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-insecure-mac.sh' followed by './install-insecure-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-insecure-linux.sh' followed by './install-insecure-linux.sh'

The device will now flash the new boot image and reboot. Keep the device attached to USB and when it has rebooted, ensure USB debugging is enabled - the SuperSU files will then be installed.

CONVENTIONAL ROOT METHOD - 'SUPERBOOT' (currently not functioning on shippping devices).

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

Download
  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: c79821d5d75d57dff8a5ffe7493241fd
The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash' but it IS a permanent root in all other regards!).

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then press the power button again to enter fastboot.
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Ste_B

Ste_B

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:NUFC, Andriod, Beer & Cuban cigars
  • Devices:Vega,Bravo,NexusS,OneX
  • Twitter:@Ste_Boyd
Awesome!

Just need my One X now lol

Posted Image

Shyam_Arc

Shyam_Arc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow .. That was super fast :)

Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
details on S-OFF??? or was the phone tested on an engineering device and in turn already S-OFF??

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
This was developed for a user with a S-OFF test phone.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

This was developer for a user with a S-OFF test phone.

P

Take it the phone was dumped then too and ENG-Hboot is available for when needed in the future? :)

Basil 123

Basil 123

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Tab
What's 'better' root by htcdev unlock or S-OFF?
How would you get S-OFF on this phone without using htcdev.com?

Roll on April 6th.....

Cheers
Baz

Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

What's 'better' root by htcdev unlock or S-OFF?
How would you get S-OFF on this phone without using htcdev.com?

Roll on April 6th.....

Cheers
Baz

S-Off is always better, means you have full access to the device. Going to take a large # of good devs to get a way around HTC's new bootloaders and get SOFF again...hasn't been done since the new HBoots have been released, though many devs don't have the need to spend time on it as they got SOFF on these latest devices like sensation and EVO3D before the new hboot was pushed out...

Xmoo

Xmoo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@Xmoo
Could you share 1.27.401.2 / 1.27.401.7 with us?
Cause most of us is on 1.27

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
I slightly tweaked the first post - now we can flash clockworkmod, the easiest way to root is to flash that then flash the superuser zip.

P

Posted Image

jurepak

jurepak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You have ruu 1.27?, You can share, thanks for your work.

Basil 123

Basil 123

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Tab
Just got mine - if I root, do I lose the dropbox account, or is there any other penalty apart from warranty work potentially being declined?

Frazer

Frazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Got mine today :-) but am i being silly as I can't see it as an available device in the bootloader section?

s.izeman

s.izeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Gym, my motorcycle and my One X
  • Twitter:@sizeman
If you want to unlock you one x on thcdev.com, choose “All Other Supported Models” in the drop down where you select your device.

Edited by s.izeman, 06 April 2012 - 09:35 AM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
Select 'other supported device' on htcdev.

P

Posted Image

TheMathMan

TheMathMan

Regular

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SII
  • Twitter:@paulgarner
Do any of these methods work without wiping the data partition? Or is that automatically going to happen from unlocking the bootloader?

Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Doesn't seem like much being worked on for SOff....

s.izeman

s.izeman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Gym, my motorcycle and my One X
  • Twitter:@sizeman
A couple of questions: I know that just a root will not do anything bad to the phones features, but what happens if I flash another rom when they start to come?
Do I loose for example One x's good camera? I have only had one Android before, a Galaxy S and for a couple of weeks I changed rom more often than I changed underware. It was difficult thou to get back the original FW so I could update thru Kies.

Do you guys have opinions about these things?
And, at last, is it better to wait until another method of rooting the One x than unlocking at HTCdev?

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
S-off IS being worked on. :)

P

Posted Image

Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

S-off IS being worked on.

P

Nice. The current brick method used for the 3D/Sensation has to be helpful some hopefully...just need to get around the non removable battery part...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users