How to root your HTC One X Tegra3 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

In order to root devices with unlocked bootloaders, I normally post a 'superboot' image. However, at the time of writing, the HTC One X (Tegra3) has an issue with it's bootloader whereby it is unable to 'fastboot boot' images, so this is not possible. The superboot is posted below for when this is resolved, however for now I have also included an alternate method.

I am currently working directly with HTCDev to solve the 'fastboot boot' issue.

Your bootloader must be unlocked via htcdev.com to use these solutions.

EASIEST ROOT METHOD - 'RECOVERY + SUPERSU'

The easiest way to get root is now to install the official ClockworkMod release and then flash the latest SuperSU zip file. This approach is highly recommended (I also recommend running a backup as soon as you've flashed clockworkmod!)

ALTERNATE ROOT METHOD - 'INSECURE BOOT AND ROOT'

This zip file contains an insecure boot image to flash to your device and a script which will then push the root (SuperSU) files to your device. This is only tested on 1.27.401.2 / 1.27.401.7. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Download

• InsecureBootAndRoot r3 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: a16bff582cb0e25fd3b422652d753ca7
    How to use InsecureBootAndRoot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the InsecureBootAndRoot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then press the power button again to enter fastboot.
    - WINDOWS - double click 'install-insecure-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-insecure-mac.sh' followed by './install-insecure-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-insecure-linux.sh' followed by './install-insecure-linux.sh'

The device will now flash the new boot image and reboot. Keep the device attached to USB and when it has rebooted, ensure USB debugging is enabled - the SuperSU files will then be installed.

CONVENTIONAL ROOT METHOD - 'SUPERBOOT' (currently not functioning on shippping devices).

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

Download
    • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: c79821d5d75d57dff8a5ffe7493241fd
    • The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash' but it IS a permanent root in all other regards!).

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader, then press the power button again to enter fastboot.

- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

Guest Sgt. Slaughter

This was developer for a user with a S-OFF test phone.

P

Take it the phone was dumped then too and ENG-Hboot is available for when needed in the future? :)

Guest Basil 123

What's 'better' root by htcdev unlock or S-OFF?

How would you get S-OFF on this phone without using htcdev.com?

Roll on April 6th.....

Cheers

Baz

Guest Sgt. Slaughter
What's 'better' root by htcdev unlock or S-OFF?

How would you get S-OFF on this phone without using htcdev.com?

Roll on April 6th.....

Cheers

Baz

S-Off is always better, means you have full access to the device. Going to take a large # of good devs to get a way around HTC's new bootloaders and get SOFF again...hasn't been done since the new HBoots have been released, though many devs don't have the need to spend time on it as they got SOFF on these latest devices like sensation and EVO3D before the new hboot was pushed out...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PaulOBrien

I slightly tweaked the first post - now we can flash clockworkmod, the easiest way to root is to flash that then flash the superuser zip.

P

Guest Basil 123

Just got mine - if I root, do I lose the dropbox account, or is there any other penalty apart from warranty work potentially being declined?

Guest s.izeman

If you want to unlock you one x on thcdev.com, choose “All Other Supported Models” in the drop down where you select your device.

Edited by s.izeman

Guest TheMathMan

Do any of these methods work without wiping the data partition? Or is that automatically going to happen from unlocking the bootloader?

Guest s.izeman

A couple of questions: I know that just a root will not do anything bad to the phones features, but what happens if I flash another rom when they start to come?

Do I loose for example One x's good camera? I have only had one Android before, a Galaxy S and for a couple of weeks I changed rom more often than I changed underware. It was difficult thou to get back the original FW so I could update thru Kies.

Do you guys have opinions about these things?

And, at last, is it better to wait until another method of rooting the One x than unlocking at HTCdev?

Guest Sgt. Slaughter
S-off IS being worked on.

P

Nice. The current brick method used for the 3D/Sensation has to be helpful some hopefully...just need to get around the non removable battery part...

Guest eggyboff

I've managed to mess mine up while trying to flash CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip. I couldn't find any instructions for installing it other than "flash the latest SuperSU zip file". I tried the Google Play method of installing but it said that it isn't rooted. I'm fairly sure it is as my recovery screen shows *** UNLOCKED *** ENDEAVORU ...

Anyway, I made the mistake of thinking I could work it out and went and flashed it with "fastboot flash system CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip" and now it won't boot up. It gets to the HTC Quietly whatever screen and stops there.

Anybody got any advice other than "don't do that"?

Guest eggyboff

To answer my own plea for help - I found an ruu on a Chinese site. It took about 8 hours to download but then kept telling me that my battery had less than 30% charge in it even though it had been on charge during the whole of that 8 hours. I unrooted it and re-locked it and was still told that the battery wasn't charged enough. So, I dug out the old Desire charger and plugged that in. 20 minutes later I got the green light, reflashed the ruu, re-unlocked, re-rooted and then found that I can now get supersu from google play.

All sorted here at last. That'll teach me not to mess with things I don't remember how to do without first revising the old stuff.

Guest SozzaSinnian

S-off IS being worked on. :)

P

Care to elaborate? Is it yourself that is looking into it and if not do you know if it is still being worked on?

My HOX has the shakes for some flashing fun :P

Guest SozzaSinnian

Found out Paul was away on holiday so did some digging around and found this:

S-Off

I have no idea what anything on that site says or what the guy in the vid is saying as I only speak english :S but YAYa!

Guest Nazgulled

I'm sorry if this as been answered before but I tried to look i up here and on XDA and I can't find the info I'm looking for. I'm sure someone already answered questions like these but it's really hard to dig them out from millions of posts here and there.

I've had a Hero since it's release and that's the reason I first registered in this forum, I've always used the methods posted here to root the phone. And I'm not sure if there were more than one way to root the Hero but I was only aware of one, insecure boot (I even learned how to do it myself, for the Hero at least), flash boot.img and flash superuser/su. For the One X, there seems to be various methods, one of which is not yet fully working.

RECOVERY + SUPERSU

I always thought a insecure boot.img file was always needed but this method doesn't seem to use one. You either flash Paul's interim clockworkmod recovery or the official one which got released in the meantime. After that, flash the SuperSU package and you're done. It's the recommended method. But my question is, how does this work? I mean, how does the root thing work without a insecure boot.img? That's what I want to know.

Is there something in the interim recovery that makes the whole thing work or is this recovery only used to flash the SuperSU package? If so, does that mean that if I restore to the stock recovery, my root will still work because the whole thing is managed by SuperSU and a insecure boot.img is not needed anymore? This is confusing me and I really would like to understand it...

INSECURE BOOT AND ROOT

This makes a lot more sense to me, it's the old process used on the Hero. You flash the insecure boot.img and then flash the Superuser (or SuperSU) package and you're done. You have root everywhere (including ADB with 'adb remount'). Does this mean that without an insecure boot.img (as in the recommended method) you cannot have root in ADB?

I would appreciate if anyone could clarify this for me... I just like to understand how things work before messing with them. :)

Edited by Nazgulled