Photo

How to root your HTC One X Tegra3 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

eggyboff

eggyboff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:desire, one x
I've managed to mess mine up while trying to flash CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip. I couldn't find any instructions for installing it other than "flash the latest SuperSU zip file". I tried the Google Play method of installing but it said that it isn't rooted. I'm fairly sure it is as my recovery screen shows *** UNLOCKED *** ENDEAVORU ...

Anyway, I made the mistake of thinking I could work it out and went and flashed it with "fastboot flash system CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip" and now it won't boot up. It gets to the HTC Quietly whatever screen and stops there.

Anybody got any advice other than "don't do that"?

eggyboff

eggyboff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:desire, one x
To answer my own plea for help - I found an ruu on a Chinese site. It took about 8 hours to download but then kept telling me that my battery had less than 30% charge in it even though it had been on charge during the whole of that 8 hours. I unrooted it and re-locked it and was still told that the battery wasn't charged enough. So, I dug out the old Desire charger and plugged that in. 20 minutes later I got the green light, reflashed the ruu, re-unlocked, re-rooted and then found that I can now get supersu from google play.

All sorted here at last. That'll teach me not to mess with things I don't remember how to do without first revising the old stuff.

SozzaSinnian

SozzaSinnian

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X

S-off IS being worked on. :)

P

Care to elaborate? Is it yourself that is looking into it and if not do you know if it is still being worked on?

My HOX has the shakes for some flashing fun :P

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anyway you like but you can only spend it once.

SozzaSinnian

SozzaSinnian

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Found out Paul was away on holiday so did some digging around and found this:

S-Off

I have no idea what anything on that site says or what the guy in the vid is saying as I only speak english :S but YAYa!

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anyway you like but you can only spend it once.

Nazgulled

Nazgulled

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero
I'm sorry if this as been answered before but I tried to look i up here and on XDA and I can't find the info I'm looking for. I'm sure someone already answered questions like these but it's really hard to dig them out from millions of posts here and there.

I've had a Hero since it's release and that's the reason I first registered in this forum, I've always used the methods posted here to root the phone. And I'm not sure if there were more than one way to root the Hero but I was only aware of one, insecure boot (I even learned how to do it myself, for the Hero at least), flash boot.img and flash superuser/su. For the One X, there seems to be various methods, one of which is not yet fully working.

RECOVERY + SUPERSU
I always thought a insecure boot.img file was always needed but this method doesn't seem to use one. You either flash Paul's interim clockworkmod recovery or the official one which got released in the meantime. After that, flash the SuperSU package and you're done. It's the recommended method. But my question is, how does this work? I mean, how does the root thing work without a insecure boot.img? That's what I want to know.

Is there something in the interim recovery that makes the whole thing work or is this recovery only used to flash the SuperSU package? If so, does that mean that if I restore to the stock recovery, my root will still work because the whole thing is managed by SuperSU and a insecure boot.img is not needed anymore? This is confusing me and I really would like to understand it...

INSECURE BOOT AND ROOT
This makes a lot more sense to me, it's the old process used on the Hero. You flash the insecure boot.img and then flash the Superuser (or SuperSU) package and you're done. You have root everywhere (including ADB with 'adb remount'). Does this mean that without an insecure boot.img (as in the recommended method) you cannot have root in ADB?

I would appreciate if anyone could clarify this for me... I just like to understand how things work before messing with them. :)

Edited by Nazgulled, 23 April 2012 - 02:07 PM.

SozzaSinnian

SozzaSinnian

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
The key with the current ways of rooting the HOX is not the methods but the fact that you have to unlock your device with HTCDEV.com first. If you don't do that then none of the methods will work. There's are a few ways of doing it as like with anything else, once an easier more practical way has been found then it doesn't make sense to do it the 'old hard way' anymore.

That's why many people are working to find an S-Off method, or at the very least an exploit so that we can unlock and fully relock without using HTCDEV.com and lose our Warranty.

trojanere

trojanere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is the first Android device I have had.. I followed the instructions and it worked a treat fir time no problems. I heard there is an OTA so I grabbed a copy of the One_X_1.28.401.9_odexed.zip. My question is can I just use CWM with this to reflash the stock 1.28 firmware. i.e. copy it to the phone and use the update with zip or do I have to use a different method?

I would rather get a clear answer from here where the instructions are clear and work than another site that just expects you to know stuff or expect you to trawl through 4 years of posts to find an answer and don't have a tutorial section

SozzaSinnian

SozzaSinnian

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Once you flash CWN trojanere open it and go to Backup/Restore and make a backup. That way you can always go back to your current stock setup should you not like any of the roms that you flash :)

trojanere

trojanere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That was the first thing I did ;) I been flashing things since you first could flash things... old school I am.. was just looking for Android specifics

hassand

hassand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire, HTC One X
Will there be any other ways to root the One X other than the htcdev method?
Also are there any disadvantages to using the htcdev solution?

thunderc8

thunderc8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys, this is my first android phone and im gona get it this wednesday.
I have made too many flashes with my samsung omnia and i know the advantages of every flash i did, but im new to android and since my order arives soon i whant to know what are the advantages of rooting my HOX or generaly an android phone.

Nuno Ferreira

Nuno Ferreira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Devices:Moto G Nexus 7
hi all,

Is it true that unlocking and then locking it again, HTC can know it was unlock, there for voiding warranty?
If so is it because when unlocking it the CID is changed?

Would this backup method preserve the original CID > http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1581653

thanks

Ps. Sorry for the double posting, but i need to know.... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users