WMA files on the OMC

Guest timfimjim

Guest timfimjim

Back on my trusty blade, I couldn't ever play wma files. Still got the same problem on my skate. Very annoying!

Having looked into it, I found that as Android is Linux, Gingerbread didn't support windows files (wma).

A few forums have said that poweramp plays them, but I don't want to purchase a £3 app just to play songs in a certain format... Surely there should be a codec that can be flashed to sort this out? What is it that poweramp installs that lets it play wma?

Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: I'm currently on Ice Armour III (cm7)

Edited by timfimjim

Guest PedroVader

Back on my trusty blade, I couldn't ever play wma files. Still got the same problem on my skate. Very annoying!

Having looked into it, I found that as Android is Linux, Gingerbread didn't support windows files (wma).

A few forums have said that poweramp plays them, but I don't want to purchase a £3 app just to play songs in a certain format... Surely there should be a codec that can be flashed to sort this out? What is it that poweramp installs that lets it play wma?

Any ideas? Thanks

Edit: I'm currently on Ice Armour III (cm7)

Nope, Poweramp is currently the only way, and if wma is your chosen format, 3 quid is nothing really if it gets the result you want.

I had issues when I uploaded my music collection to Google Music, totally ignored 2 albums for precisely that reason. just re-encoded them to MP3 like the other 5k songs, job done.

In a world where there's unfortunately a lot of "us and them" between the 3 big players, it's worth going for the path of least resistance, which will always be MP3.wink.gif

Guest tillaz

yeah, i didn't like this about the skate... my lg 2x plays wmv, wma, mkv, avi and just about everything straight out the box

the new zte phones will be the same since they use the tegra chip set aswell

Edited by tillaz

Guest timfimjim

In the end I just went for poweramp, it's a pretty good player too.

Yeah I think you're right, so much us and them. Having looked into it, it looks like about the time windows filed a lawsuit on google that google stopped supporting wma!