mods and add ons

Guest ihome

Guest ihome

Hi everyone,

as you will gather I am very new to all this stuff!

have managed to get "fish and chips" on my new TMV, all working great, more thanks to you peeps than me.

then I noticed the mods and add ons, but can not work out how to get these on to the phone.

could one of you please explain how it works?

keep it as simple as possible for a poor noob just starting out.

thanks

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

If you're talking about the colour addons etc then you use clockwork mod to install them, just copy each zip onto your sdcard, start the phone into the clockwork recovery and choose "install zip from card" and then choose the zip file you copied over. Then reboot the phone.

Guest ihome

If you're talking about the colour addons etc then you use clockwork mod to install them, just copy each zip onto your sdcard, start the phone into the clockwork recovery and choose "install zip from card" and then choose the zip file you copied over. Then reboot the phone.

Thanks for your reply, yes thats just what I mean, tried this and it did not seem to work!

will give it another try.

the one I was interested in was the flash player add on.

will start again and see how I go.

thanks again

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

If it's an APK file then you just install it, go to the Filer app, browse to where you put the apk file and tap on it then tap on install.

Guest ihome

If it's an APK file then you just install it, go to the Filer app, browse to where you put the apk file and tap on it then tap on install.

OK I see, I was trying to put a APK file on with clockwork mod, I think!

bit of a steep learning curve at the moment

even though I have been dipping in the forum for about 12 months.

Will give it another try tomorrow

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Guest ihome

OK I see, I was trying to put a APK file on with clockwork mod, I think!

bit of a steep learning curve at the moment

even though I have been dipping in the forum for about 12 months.

Will give it another try tomorrow

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

thanks again, these two tips worked great

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

No problem, we were all new sometime :)

Just remember...

.zip : Any release in a zip is probably a rom or a modification and will most likely be installed with the clockwork mod.

.apk : Any filename which ends in apk is definitely an app and should be installed using a file manager although for security reasons you should always try to get your apps from the official android market first, a lot will have a free version if you want to try before you buy, then the paid version may have the name "Pro" after it.

Guest ihome

No problem, we were all new sometime :)

Just remember...

.zip : Any release in a zip is probably a rom or a modification and will most likely be installed with the clockwork mod.

.apk : Any filename which ends in apk is definitely an app and should be installed using a file manager although for security reasons you should always try to get your apps from the official android market first, a lot will have a free version if you want to try before you buy, then the paid version may have the name "Pro" after it.

Hi PsYcHoKiLLa,

just when I thought I was getting the hang of all this stuff, I have another question.

this is a different subject, perhaps I should have started a new topic?

internal memory!

while having another look at the fish n chip rom i noticed it as apps2sd in it, I remember (I think after factory reset) it flashed up apps2sd no pation found, while in clockwork mod.

so here are the questions

if I had a sd pation would the rom apps have gone to sd?

I have found that I could add a sd patition in clockwork mod, but what size?

then there is another list to pick from, I assume this is to do with how big the app must be, do I pick 0m?

after this for the apps2sd to work do I re flash the rom?

I have noticed all this TPT stuff as well, but with all the "bricked phone warnings" I decided to leave this alone for the time being.

Sorry for a long winded post. hope you can help

Guest Reider59

I think I partitioned my 8gb SD card 50/50 but I still use some of the card for normal stuff so it works quite well. I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition to do mine, free program. I set the 2nd partition to EXT2 which is the type of partition these programs work with. This partition, once set up, is ignored by Windows and it only finds the normal FAT32/NTFS partition for use on a computer. The phone on the other hand finds the EXT2 partition and uses it.

I set all mine up in late January I think, swapped ROMS some 20+ times and no problems at all using the SD card with Titanium Backup, to put back the apps after a ROM change and perform backups too, again no problem using the SD Card itself, both in the normal partition and the EXT2 partition itself.

Guest ihome

I think I partitioned my 8gb SD card 50/50 but I still use some of the card for normal stuff so it works quite well. I used Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition to do mine, free program. I set the 2nd partition to EXT2 which is the type of partition these programs work with. This partition, once set up, is ignored by Windows and it only finds the normal FAT32/NTFS partition for use on a computer. The phone on the other hand finds the EXT2 partition and uses it.

I set all mine up in late January I think, swapped ROMS some 20+ times and no problems at all using the SD card with Titanium Backup, to put back the apps after a ROM change and perform backups too, again no problem using the SD Card itself, both in the normal partition and the EXT2 partition itself.

Guest ihome

Thanks for the reply

Looks interesting, may be a better option, I will give it a try.

but still interested in the apps2sd in the fish n chips rom, what does it do and how does it work and can I use the clockwork mod to form a sd partion to use it?

I think I may open a new topic.

thanks again for your help

Guest ihome

Thanks for the reply

Looks interesting, may be a better option, I will give it a try.

but still interested in the apps2sd in the fish n chips rom, what does it do and how does it work and can I use the clockwork mod to form a sd partion to use it?

I think I may open a new topic.

thanks again for your help

Hi Reider59,

did put it up as a new topic, hope you don't mind after you took the time to reply!

as you can guess really new to this roms and flashing etc

just interested to know how these things work!

thanks again