HTC One X Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Davidoff59

Great review Paul. Very very impressive stats. I just can't justify paying so much for a phone at the moment. Saying that,most of my browsing is done on the phone now so it may pay for itself really.

Guest iamthecosmos

Very nice review Paul! It's interesting that every review of the One X/S I have read thus far have said similar things about the camera's image quality being disappointing (compared to what was expected!) and in particular the lack of detail, and oversaturation that you mention in your review.Hopefully these issues can be rectified in a future update! You mention that taking pictures during video recording doesn't effect video quality, but I noticed that in Vlad Savov's review of the One S in the Verge, he mentions that there is skipping in the resulting video at the parts where you have taken pictures - have you not found this to be the case on the One X? If not, maybe this is to do with the Tegra 3 Vs S4?

Finally, as much as I agree with you about the SGS3 being the phone to watch, I do think it is inappropriate and unfair to actually list it as a negative to the One X itself!

Guest GrandDestroyer

I just found out that you can actually reduce the number of screens in the launcher, the maximum is still 7 but by long pressing a thumbnail you can remove a screen! I am used to having only 3 screens with widgets and apps so I like this very much hehe. Has anyone else noticed an issue with the 4x4 calendar widget that is showing all items in your calendar in a row where you can scroll through? It seems a bit buggy, which sometimes strange animations.

Guest vfrvulcan

Paul, great review, thanks.

Couple of quick questions...

There's a lot of speculation as to whether the X has the FM Radio or not, but looking at your pics I see you have BBC Radio Suffolk in the list of freqs (106.4 where you are) and from your review it is quite plainly there. Why don't HTC show this in the specs or manual? Is the sound quality good?

And lastly, the camera lens... Do you know if this is also Gorilla Glass? Looks like it could get scratched very easily if not.

TIA

Aaron

Guest Nazgulled

Great and comprehensive review, just the way I like it :) Thanks.

I have a few questions about the UI...

1) Is the Roboto font used all over Sense, here and there or not at all? Is it even included?

2) In any application with lists of items, the background is white. If there aren't enough items to fill the screen, the background is dark with stripped lines (http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/xscreen-52-messages5.png). Does the One X include UI themes where, perhaps, this background is lighter? I just think the background/items contrast looks really bad.

3) Ever since I saw the new "overscroll" effect shown at MWC, that I hated it. I think it's too much. Is there any option to change this effect to something else or maybe disable it?

Guest Arz Bhatia

Paul, you're the only one I can ask this question. Do you review guys/sites get these phones for testing and reviewing from the company for free? Or do you buy them or kind of rent them or something? Sorry for OT.

Guest vfrvulcan

Paul, forgot to ask...

What's the screen like in direct/bright sunlight?? I know you had some of that in Diss last week :-)

Thanks

Aaron

Edited by vfrvulcan

Guest suriya83

First of all great review very professional and detailed!

Is there a video sample taken with the one x? i'm not able to find it blink.gif

thanks

Guest Touch Screen Junkie

Please don't hate me but I've resisted for years and I feel I have to comment now.

Paul - please don't take this the wrong way, I've got loads of respect for you and your website - but the "correct" (i.e. the historically official English grammatical) pronunciation of HTC is "aitch TC" not "haitch". The letter "H" is pronounced "aitch", ironically without the the "h" sound at the beginning.

Cue the torrent of abuse...

:o

Guest jeddy1

I just wanna say about the Pros and Cons

Cons: the SGS 3 will come and might be better ??? if its like this then we can say that after 2 months another phone will come and be better than SGS 3

Actually sorry but all the CONS:: are not Cons lets say :P :D

BTW the thread is nice organized and love this community :D

Guest fredchia123

Hi Paul, thanks for the review, however, can I also check on the below-mentioned? Cos I'm undecided whether to get this phone or Xperia S.

1) For the panaroma mode of the cam, is it sweep panaroma or assisted panaroma? Can you assist with some screenshots?

2) For the bugs, is there any workaround fix yet and are they really very annoying?

Thanks.

Guest Tacobell_q80

I don't. Know if you agree with me or not..... But advertising supports the sale of any devise. Lets see Apple and Samsung for example.. they spend a lot on their Adds and the huge wave of profit hits them back.

HTC is very poor in marketing and advertising similarly Asus. They bring the best devices and I love those manufacturers but yet it seems that both great Taiwanese company does not know how to play it.HTC needs to do more adds

Guest PaulOBrien

You mention that taking pictures during video recording doesn't effect video quality, but I noticed that in Vlad Savov's review of the One S in the Verge, he mentions that there is skipping in the resulting video at the parts where you have taken pictures - have you not found this to be the case on the One X? If not, maybe this is to do with the Tegra 3 Vs S4?

Finally, as much as I agree with you about the SGS3 being the phone to watch, I do think it is inappropriate and unfair to actually list it as a negative to the One X itself!

The videos I took as tests were perfectly smooth, so maybe it is different on the X?

For people who are spending money and committing to a 2 year contract, the fact it could be bettered by the Galaxy S III very soon indeed is a negative that I feel duty bound to make readers aware of.

There's a lot of speculation as to whether the X has the FM Radio or not, but looking at your pics I see you have BBC Radio Suffolk in the list of freqs (106.4 where you are) and from your review it is quite plainly there. Why don't HTC show this in the specs or manual? Is the sound quality good?

There's definitely a FM radio, sound quality is OK, not mind blowing but good enough! :)

1) Is the Roboto font used all over Sense, here and there or not at all? Is it even included?

2) In any application with lists of items, the background is white. If there aren't enough items to fill the screen, the background is dark with stripped lines (http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/xscreen-52-messages5.png). Does the One X include UI themes where, perhaps, this background is lighter? I just think the background/items contrast looks really bad.

3) Ever since I saw the new "overscroll" effect shown at MWC, that I hated it. I think it's too much. Is there any option to change this effect to something else or maybe disable it?

1) I think so, it's hard to tell tho. :)

2) No, there isn't a theme that changes this.

3) No, this will need a custom ROM.

Can u post a video deoming the Slow Motion Video Capture ?

Yes, I will do! :)

What's the screen like in direct/bright sunlight?? I know you had some of that in Diss last week :-)

Extremely good, one of the best i've used I guess, far far far far better than the One S OLED. Better than the Galaxy Nexus too.

Is there a video sample taken with the one x? i'm not able to find it blink.gif

I haven't added that yet, watch this space!

1) For the panaroma mode of the cam, is it sweep panaroma or assisted panaroma? Can you assist with some screenshots?

2) For the bugs, is there any workaround fix yet and are they really very annoying?

1) It's an automatic sweep panorama.

2) Nothing too bad, and they'll be fixed soon.

I don't. Know if you agree with me or not..... But advertising supports the sale of any devise. Lets see Apple and Samsung for example.. they spend a lot on their Adds and the huge wave of profit hits them back.

HTC is very poor in marketing and advertising similarly Asus. They bring the best devices and I love those manufacturers but yet it seems that both great Taiwanese company does not know how to play it.HTC needs to do more adds

HTC tell me they are putting their biggest ever marketing push behind the One series so... :)

P

Guest fredchia123

Hi Paul, thanks for the prompt reply. Can you please elaborate on the bugs issue that you have encounter, esp on the typos?For the issue with the initial orientation sensing on the Camera application, do you mean to say upon activating the application in the menu or?

Thanks.

Edited by fredchia123