BRICKED OSF II? - Can It Be Recovered?

Guest Ripperoo

Guest Ripperoo

Hi Guys

I have an Orange San Francisco II which has apparently had an incorrect ROM installed.

Details are a bit vague, but my son says his friend tried to unlock/debrand the handset, but may have installed a ROM for the original SF.

After the update, the handset was stuck on the Android robot with constantly flashing camera LED.

There may be some merit to this because when I used a utility from the ZTE site the device was inspected and indeed there was mention of the original Blade/OSF.

I was able to reach 'FTM Mode' by pressing V- + Power.

However, nothing I could find on various forums seemed to work and I was unable to install any ROMs to the device.

I then read about TPT and changing the partitition sizes.

Tried various procedures mentioned here and elsewhere to no avail.

End result is that when the phone is now switched on, there is one short flash from the camera LED and the device is then stuck on the Android robot (with a swirl of light-coloured marks):

osf2tn.jpg

Can't get to 'FTM Mode' any more and the ZTE utility cannot detect the phone.

My question is can it be saved???

.........and if so, how?

Thanks guys.

Guest Ripperoo

You're son wouldn't happen to go by the name ( Leningrad). Just out of curiosity.

Nope.

Why do you ask?

Someone of that name had a similar issue?

Guest Ripperoo

Well, I've been trying the various OSFII TPTs over HERE

And while trying different button combos while while booting the handset, I heard the Windows BooDoop USB sound.

The combo that seemed to do this was holding Volume Up + Volume Down and pressing the power button.

Checked in the Control Panel and I now have the 'Handset Diagnostic Interface (DFU) (COM3)'

Any light at the end of this dark, dark tunnel?

Edited by Ripperoo

Guest bladebuddy

No about a week or two ago I was trying to explain to someone else, that I believed they where trying to use zte blade files to unlock and flash a zte crescent. He explained which files he had used and what he had done. Thought if it was the same person it could help.

Onto your problem, When I first got this phone for a Xmas present, unlocking it scared me a little as I am not very savy on a p.c. So I paid a chap on E.bay $10 to unlock it.

After I received the phone back it got stuck in ftm and turning on and off e.t.c wouldn't reboot it. I know a bit more now so probably could of saved the phone but I didn't even try.

What I did was phone orange customer services. Told them the phone wouldn't restart. As the phone was less then 12 months old they replaced it the very next day, even though I had no proof of purchase. I only got the phone, had to keep my battery, sd card and the back plate.They sent the replacement by courier and never even checked the phone to see if it had been rooted, unlocked e.t.c. which is good to know if you have bricked you phone.

Anyway here's a link with the crescent drivers and easy to use unlock guide should you choose to go down that root.

Only if no one is able to help you. And to be blunt it's not looking good.

http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/unlock-orange-san-francisco-ii/how-to-unlock-the-orange-san-francisco-ii-for-free/.

Good luck.

P.S If you like I could copy the old post content hear and see if he has tried anything similar. It may help.

Edited by bladebuddy

Guest Ripperoo

No about a week or two ago I was trying to explain to someone else, that I believed they where trying to use zte blade files to unlock and flash a zte crescent. He explained which files he had used and what he had done. Thought if it was the same person it could help.Thanks for the info.

Definately not my boy.

May have been his friend, but I guess it'll be some other dude with the same problem.

P.S If you like I could copy the old post content hear and see if he has tried anything similar. It may help.

Yeah, that would be great.

Cheers

Guest Ripperoo
P.S If you like I could copy the old post content

Wouldn't be this post, would it?

If so, then I can see why you were making the comparison as some of the stuff in there like the camera LED flashing intermitttently is very similar to the behaviour this SF2 is displaying.

Guest bladebuddy

After reading the topic again it was his sisters phone he had bought, so you're lad is off the hook.

Anyway Amphoros, Raverrrr and the other brain boxes should be finished work now a hopefully soon on the forum, they are better equipped to help you.

All the best Jay

Guest Titas

Domenico Lamberti suggested this recently & it worked; Put your chosen ROM (FnC 5.1 recommended) on the SD card first so you can flash it immediately after getting Clockwork Recovery on. I think it's your best bet

go to here : http://android.modac...flash-recovery/

click on 5.0.2.7 for the SF II

let it download

extract it

it should extract a folder called image

put the folder named image on the root of your SD card

shut the device off (battery pull)

start the device up holding the power button,vol+ button and the middle button

after the text has quickly flashed on screen and rebooted, hold down vol- and you should boot into ClockworkMod to flash any ROM of your choice.

Edited by Titas

Guest Ripperoo

Domenico Lamberti suggested this recently & it worked; Put your chosen ROM (FnC 5.1 recommended) on the SD card first so you can flash it immediately after getting Clockwork Recovery on. I think it's your best bet

In what format/folder structure do I place the ROM on the SD card?

go to here : http://android.modac...flash-recovery/

click on 5.0.2.7 for the SF II

let it download

extract it

it should extract a folder called image

put the folder named image on the root of your SD card

shut the device off (battery pull)

start the device up holding the power button,vol+ button and the middle button

after the text has quickly flashed on screen and rebooted, hold down vol- and you should boot into ClockworkMod to flash any ROM of your choice.

Ahhhh, this is what I was doing yesterday with no success.

Tried again using the files and method you suggested and I do get the blue progress bar which then says 'Update Success', but above this it says 'Update From T-Flash Card - Error!'

This progress bar keeps looping until I let go of the buttons, after which the static Android robot is displayed. I'm not sure what a proper reboot is supposed to look like, but the handset doesn't appear to go through a proper rebbot sequence.

Also, when I hold down the Vol- button after the progress bar reches 100%, nothing happens.

That's why I think I need to install the stock TPT via the 'image' folder route if that is possible.

One thing, I didn't actually have a ROM on the SD card when I carried out the above, so will that cause the 'Update From T-Flash Card - Error!' message?

My head is battered now!

Guest bladebuddy

Your looking for green text not a blue status bar. Put the rom still zipped on the root of your sd card not in any folder. The rom should sit along side your sd folders.

Download a tpt file at least 160mb in size. After that open the tpt zip file on your p.c you should see a folder called image. Copy and paste this again to the root of you're sd card not in any folders. After that put sd card back in your phone then while pressing the volume up+ button and home button together power on your phone until you see some green text. If you see the green text once finished you will be in cwm recovery.After which use your volume up and down buttons to navigate and home button to select.

First wipe data factory reset then then wipe cash partition, then select instal zip from sd card, scroll until you find the rom zip and install it. If all this works once the rom has loaded you will get a reboot option press your home button and that's it.

Let me know if that works.

Guest Ripperoo

Cheers for the info BladeBuddy

Your looking for green text not a blue status bar.

Something is not right then!

You can see what I mean HERE.

The colours are a bit washed out due to the lighting, but the upper text is like a neon green and the status bar is a sort of electric blue.

You can see a better representation of the coulours in the reflection on the desk in this VIDEO CLIP.

....and that's all it does until I let go of the buttons, after which the static green Android robot is displayed.

Must be summat I can do with it, beside chuck it out the window! :(

Edited by Ripperoo

Guest domenico lamberti

i know it seems like a stupid suggestion, but dont let go of the vol- button so quicklyy hold it there for a few seconds,screen should do a weird flash effect led should turn off and you should be in CWM, could be wrong though

Guest bladebuddy

I haven't got the first clue what's going on there on you're you tube video. What you need to know is your phone has had gen1 zte blade firmware flashed to a Gen 2 crescent. On this forum that doesn't come along that often. As a result you need to try any help and anything you can to restore your phone. Quite a few people have already tried to help, but it's quite difficult to no what's the problem without going through something like that. With no cwm recovery or ftm mode makes matters worse. The only advice I can give you is to try all advice already given. If that doesn't work phone orange customer services.

Guest Ripperoo

Thanks Domenico

I know it seems like a stupid suggestion, but dont let go of the vol- button so quicklyy hold it there for a few seconds,screen should do a weird flash effect led should turn off and you should be in CWM, could be wrong though

Already tried that Domenico, no worky I'm afraid! :(

Edited by Ripperoo

Guest Ripperoo

What the hell is that you've got trying to boot on there Riperoo?

If you are referring to the YouTube vids, then It's actually SFII TPT.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea Fr0do.

That's why I'm trying to get back to stock recovery partition and ROM and start from there.

Sounds like I may have fooked the damn thing up.:o

Edited by Ripperoo

Guest Amphoras

See if you can get into fastboot mode. Use the files in the fastboot step in this thread, but instead of that version of Clockwork, try using the stock SFII recovery. If it works, you should be able to get into FTM mode and then do the SFII unlock which should hopefully fix it.

If that doesn't work, you could try using method 5 from that thread. Download the unlock files for the SFII, and at the point where it tells you to choose what files to use, use them instead. The same when it talks about installing Clockwork etc. Use the SFII versions at each stage.

If neither of them work, the I don't know what else you could try. You could try phoning Orange and see if they will replace it.

Edited by Amphoras

Guest Ripperoo

Thanks a lot guys for attempting to help me out, but I'm giving up on this.

Spent too long on this for a stoopid teenage son who swapped it for a pristine 2 month old ZTE phone (can't remember the name).

The worst part is that he knew it was fooked before he swapped.

So, thanks again guys, but you can only flog a dead horse for so long.

Have a great weekend!

Guest Reider59

Send it back n plead ignorance. Just tell them it won`t start and leave it at that. It`s worked for some and they quickly got it swapped. I dare say they`ll just fling it in a pile with the rest. Ooh hang on, if its a swap phone you`ll have no receipt. Maybe check out a market stall or something, ask if they can fix it first and a set price.

Edited by Reider59

Guest Oblitamatron

See if you can get into fastboot mode. Use the files in the fastboot step in this thread, but instead of that version of Clockwork, try using the stock SFII recovery. If it works, you should be able to get into FTM mode and then do the SFII unlock which should hopefully fix it.

If that doesn't work, you could try using method 5 from that thread. Download the unlock files for the SFII, and at the point where it tells you to choose what files to use, use them instead. The same when it talks about installing Clockwork etc. Use the SFII versions at each stage.

If neither of them work, the I don't know what else you could try. You could try phoning Orange and see if they will replace it.

Would step five work for the crescent? as the files are for the blade ( OSF I).

I have a similar issue in which it won't load properly after the logo and just sits there repeating the second logo from what I assume is from the ROM.

Edited by Oblitamatron

Guest Reider59

Be vary careful people! Though in this instance some of you may indeed have specific faults their is also a problem with that battery in the SFII. I noticed on many more than one occasions I had to reseat it when using it to change ROMS. Usually with the back cover off and holding the battery very firmly. Their seems to be some slack and the battery can slide enough away not to make a full contact. I `ve seen sporadic reboots, images loading (like the green man), going on to the next bit in the loading sequence and back to the first image etc. Reseat the battery, put the cover back on and its perfect! The contacts and the battery are not too well mated or made.