Photo

[GB] [CM7] [2.3.7] CyanogenMod 7 for the ZTE Crescent [ROM] [Last updated: 28/06]

* * * - - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

app10336

app10336

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade S (FNC rom)

ZTE Settings? There's no reason for it to currently have built so it wouldn't surprise me. I'll get that building in the next release if needed.

Or made it "autocalibrate" :P
Good rom anyway. Only 3 "bugs" found, really nice.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts
  • Devices:Crescent, G300, Y300, Nexus 5
  • Twitter:@Dazzozo
I've just moved the device config repo around a little. You can now find a gingerbread and ICS branch on the same repo. https://github.com/D...ree/Gingerbread

Like my work? Give me rep!

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

You're likely to get a quicker response from me on Twitter.

gabriwinter

gabriwinter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Working great on my OSFII thankyou so much :-)

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Or made it "autocalibrate" :P
Good rom anyway. Only 3 "bugs" found, really nice.

I'll probably just see how it's calibrated in stock/debranded and copy that.

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Flash #3! :P

The capacitive menu buttons seem to be permanently on. Noticed this before, but I've not run the rom for that long so was unsure. They go off at sleep. Default behaviour is goverened by light levels. Flibble tweaked his ROM to get them to operate at a lower light level. Full on all the time is a battery drain (or so flibble said).

He posted this location in the stock rom for that:

framework-res\res\values\arrays.xml

Then you need to make changes to config_autoBrightnessLevels, <integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessButtonBacklightValues"> and possibly <integer-array name="config_autoBrightnessKeyboardBacklightValues"> too

I'm not totally sure how the values work but so far it seems that the higher the value, the more the lights will light up.

Thread page here: http://android.modac...2a/page__st__40

edit. Would the patch flibble posted for framework break this rom?

edit. oh and pinch etc works fine for me

Edited by fr0do, 17 April 2012 - 07:42 PM.

Posted Image

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Flash #3! :P

The capacitive menu buttons seem to be permanently on. Noticed this before, but I've not run the rom for that long so was unsure. They go off at sleep. Default behaviour is goverened by light levels. Flibble tweaked his ROM to get them to operate at a lower light level. Full on all the time is a battery drain (or so flibble said).

He posted this location in the stock rom for that:

Thread page here: http://android.modac...2a/page__st__40

edit. Would the patch flibble posted for framework break this rom?

edit. oh and pinch etc works fine for me

The patch is just simple value changing so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - the issue will be I don't actually have a Vivacity to test settings with, and finding a decent set of them will probably span over a couple of builds until people are satisfied. Did flibblesan actually put these settings in a build or did he just let people to make the changes themselves?

Also, is your home button working on CM7?

Josef Prusa

Josef Prusa

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent, ZTE Blade
Hello Dazzozo! Thanks for the great job. I have tried your CM7 but now I am back on my good old Fish'n'Chips with my TMV. The reasons:

- incredible battery drain - the phone was able to last maybe several hours
- a bit sluggish compared to FnC, but Cyanogen tends to be a bit on the slow side,
- the game i like - Osmos HD - claimed that it needed multitouch display and found none. Can you verify that?

Otherwise - keep it up! And thanks for all your effort.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Hello Dazzozo! Thanks for the great job. I have tried your CM7 but now I am back on my good old Fish'n'Chips with my TMV. The reasons:

- incredible battery drain - the phone was able to last maybe several hours
- a bit sluggish compared to FnC, but Cyanogen tends to be a bit on the slow side,
- the game i like - Osmos HD - claimed that it needed multitouch display and found none. Can you verify that?

Otherwise - keep it up! And thanks for all your effort.

• Multitouch was fixed yesterday but I haven't rebuilt: https://github.com/D...d8e6ee9575471fc
  • Sluggish - can't say I can confirm this but I generally run everything on smartassV2 122-902MHz. It probably won't improve, really - it's a bit beyond my control. I can try and make a few optimisations here and there in the source tree but it probably won't make a noticeable difference. It is stating the obvious a little - of course a debranded and customised version of the stock ROM is probably always going to be better than something compiled from source with inappropriate driver versions. :P
  • Battery drain - can't say I can confirm this either. No real reason why it should be happening by itself and I get a ton of life out of my ICS builds. I plan on merging the device configuration branches at some point if I can manage it which could potentially point out a few silly mistakes, we'll see. I'd rather have everything working before I tidy it up, though.

Edit: Regarding it being sluggish - you've got to bear in mind this is a 800MHz ARMv6 512MB device and support for devices of this spec is being dropped, fast. Things don't just meet up when compiling and the kernel is the best example of this, ZTE probably hacked a lot together and didn't release their changes.

I will try to make an effort to speed things up when everything is functional.

Edit 2: A friend just pointed out that a lot of CM7 is poorly coded anyway by their own admission, so yes you're probably right with the comment about Cyanogen being on the slow side and that would explain CM9 being a bit smoother as they went about improving it.

Anyway, cheers for the feedback - I'll do what I can do which probably isn't a lot considering how useless ZTE are. :lol:

Edited by Dazzozo, 17 April 2012 - 09:54 PM.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

The patch is just simple value changing so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - the issue will be I don't actually have a Vivacity to test settings with, and finding a decent set of them will probably span over a couple of builds until people are satisfied. Did flibblesan actually put these settings in a build or did he just let people to make the changes themselves?

Also, is your home button working on CM7?

He put the updates into r2. He also posted a maximum brightness patch as an optional extra.

Home button works as expected. No problems at all functionally noticed yet. Seems to run hot. I'm putting that down to the lit buttons at the moment.

I couldn't see Osmos HD on Play. I've played it before so something in how my device is presenting itself is different. I downloaded "Absorbtion" which is very similar lol, and is multitouch and works well.

Sluggish next to F&C - I wouldn't say so. Does this rom have the video acceleration patch?

Posted Image

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

He put the updates into r2. He also posted a maximum brightness patch as an optional extra.

Home button works as expected. No problems at all functionally noticed yet. Seems to run hot. I'm putting that down to the lit buttons at the moment.

I couldn't see Osmos HD on Play. I've played it before so something in how my device is presenting itself is different. I downloaded "Absorbtion" which is very similar lol, and is multitouch and works well.

Sluggish next to F&C - I wouldn't say so. Does this rom have the video acceleration patch?

I moved over the only differences in key bindings to CM9 (et voilá: https://github.com/D...5500d2e3b801de7 ) so the home button (should?) be fixed in the next build.

Regarding Osmos, I'll look in to this before I put the build out with the proper reporting of multitouch.

Video acceleration - not unless somehow flibblesan sneaked it in to the device configuration. I can't find it, anyway. If you have a link I'd be grateful.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
Took a while to find! : http://android.modac...gles-libraries/

Edit: Flashed it to this CM7 rom. Runs no problem anyway.

Edit 2: neocore score = 36.8 fps. 38.2 fps minus sound lol

Edited by fr0do, 17 April 2012 - 11:07 PM.

Posted Image

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Took a while to find! : http://android.modac...gles-libraries/

They're on the list for the next build. ;)

Edit: Done! https://github.com/D...8a797906d9f0e12

Edit 2: :unsure: https://github.com/D...cdbeee12ecca60b

Edited by Dazzozo, 17 April 2012 - 11:14 PM.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
Running all day today. Held charge all day, wireless on all morning, down to 92%, 85% after 10 minute lunchtime use, wireless off all afternoon. Discharges fast with basic use. About 1% every 2 minutes. Down to 73% now (4.45pm)

Capacative buttons do turn off in average daylight. And covering the sensor turns them on.

Auto screen brightness is really low
Unusably so.

Posted Image

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Running all day today. Held charge all day, wireless on all morning, down to 92%, 85% after 10 minute lunchtime use, wireless off all afternoon. Discharges fast with basic use. About 1% every 2 minutes. Down to 73% now (4.45pm)

Capacative buttons do turn off in average daylight. And covering the sensor turns them on.

Auto screen brightness is really low
Unusably so.

I'm not sure if I should go down the pursuit of fixing up hardware 100% (as in, battling front camera) or try to clean up some of these little fixes. Any suggestions?

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
Just noticed that the camcorder is working! (last flash it wasn't - and I thought it was supposed to be brolen? This is with the stock camera app btw)

Personally I don't care at all about the front camera. I'd rather this ran drawing less juice.

Edited by fr0do, 18 April 2012 - 08:43 PM.

Posted Image

BLu3HaZe

BLu3HaZe

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent - SFII (Synaptic)
Just to update on what happened with CM7 after CM9 was a somewhat heavy on the battery for me. A day of testing, things are quite great actually! Posted Image Very stable, and quite full featured too, safe to say almost perfect. Until ICS is finished, going to stick with this as my everyday ROM.

@Daz - Touchscreen issue was sorted out quite nicely too, response I mean. So I think OSFII or Synaptics goes well with the CM7 at the moment and CM9 works better on the Vivacity or Amtel controller, you'll have to confirm which, whether it's the different kernels for the two models or having different touchscreens whatever the model may be is causing the issue.

Great points for me -
  • Tethering works no issues and it even has got the BT NAP so tethering works even for that.
  • Quite fast and responsive, similar to debranded stock GB, but slower than CM9. Prefers 480/122 to work smoothly. But with the amount of features stuck to it, commendable though!
  • Camera is working well and is happy as long as scene settings are untouched.
  • The DSPM is awesome, having come from SE phones, the sound quality is appreciated Posted Image
  • Battery life is way better than the current CM9 build
  • And many other lovely little features, great work getting almost everything work on the Crescent guys!!

Ok, now for the really tiny bugs which are non critical whatsoever -
  • Bluetooth seems attached to WiFi in this too. The connection disconnects if you turn off WiFi while using BT. And to turn on BT, WiFi needs to be on.
  • The notification drop down seems to not like going back up much when in landscape mode where bottom is left. Also the keyboard could do with a small gap between the edge and the bottom row of keys, IF it could be done. Or is there any way to calibrate the touchscreen to come a bit more to the left? Feels like a dead zone of 0.5mm or less, just that the space and return button is a bit hard to press.
  • Battery usage monitoring seems somewhat wrong, showing really high usage for Display and too low for Cell Standby. But does not affect battery life itself, lasts around 3 times more than ICS easily.
  • For some reason, all files seems to have something with GTalk and showing the talk icon in the File Manager.

Just some screen caps with stuff in the ROM -

Attached File  screenshot-1334841968360.png   331.99KB   7 downloads

Attached File  screenshot-1334847637538.png   282.26KB   9 downloads

Battery life -

Attached File  screenshot-1334847496977.png   34.63KB   8 downloads

Little bugs -

Attached File  screenshot-1334842087666.png   87.38KB   6 downloads

Attached File  screenshot-1334847524341.png   75.77KB   7 downloads

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

huge awesome post

You sir, are a legend when it comes to feedback. Cheers! :P

BLu3HaZe

BLu3HaZe

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

You sir, are a legend when it comes to feedback. Cheers! :P

Thank you Posted Image It's the least I could do to help at the time being, so hopefully this would make it easier to even reproduce any bugs in shooting them down.

May I suggest pinning this and the CM9 threads as these two are very popular ROMs as it seems for the Crescent?

Good luck with your exams btw! And awaiting some more stabilization for ICS too!

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

May I suggest pinning this and the CM9 threads as these two are very popular ROMs as it seems for the Crescent?

Not sure who we'd have to rally to get that done.

Good luck with your exams btw! And awaiting some more stabilization for ICS too!

Thanks man. I don't think progress will slow down - I'm about to hit study leave and I'll be working on this in the free time I allocate myself... which will probably be most of it. :P

BLu3HaZe

BLu3HaZe

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Not sure who we'd have to rally to get that done.

It will soon I guess, seems many more are stuck at top but some are now outdated unlike these two

Thanks man. I don't think progress will slow down - I'm about to hit study leave and I'll be working on this in the free time I allocate myself... which will probably be most of it. :P

NP, and that's good news indeed! Posted Image Can't wait to get back to ICS, it's like a whole different experience. Plus how it drives other with more powerful and common phones nuts to see us already with ICS, lol. CM7 has almost nothing more to work on or so it seems.

Would reverse tethering (accessing net through a dumb phone for example) through BT be a lot of work? I mean my old WM2003 PocketPC supports way more profiles than Android, while being almost a decade older... The BCM4330 we have is the same as on Galaxy SII so the chip supports very low power operation or BT 4.0 and all that. Only problem devs hate Broadcomm for writing garbage drivers and not releasing them, afaik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users