How to root your Huawei Ascend G300 (for Windows, Mac and Linux)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pritsey

ok,rooted now thanks for your patience,how do i remove some of the vodafone stuff like qype?

Exactly what I'm trying to do - glad not just me wondering how to do it!

Guest buckleheid

think its this way?

try this,settings,applications,manage applications,scroll thru to the ones you want to remove,not sure tho so dont do it until someone can confirm this is correct

Guest Davidoff59

You need a root browser. Apps installed in system can't be deleted as you would a normal app.

I use Rom Toolbox. There is an app list built in and you should be able to delete from there.

Please respect the power that a root browser gives you and don't change what you don't know and don't delete if your not sure.

Guest Davidoff59

Use the built in app manager in Rom Toolbox then scroll to the right to see all apps.

You can just click the app from there and get a quick menu or long press for much more options

Guest buckleheid

cheers ive got rom toolbox now,i wont run that yet ill just install the clockwork mod then see how it goes,tomorrows project,too tired need sleep

Guest kaizoku_san

Mine took two attempts but this is what i done.

phone off

pull usb cable

pull battery

wait few seconds

install battery

holding down "volume down" turn phone on, phone vibrates let buttons go.

Huawei logo should be on screen if yes insert usb cable.

windows detects phone and installs drivers (or something I am no expert). lol can you tell.

double click the bat file and a command windows appears and magic happens and the command window disappears.

I got no prompt about going into recovery mode, it may have been in the command window but it disappeared to fast. once the command window disappeared i done the following.

Pulled the battery

pulled the usb cable

waited a few seconds

installed battery

hold down "volume up" and turned phone on, once phone vibrates let buttons go.

you should be at the recovery screen ( i was not the first time)

reboot device should already be highlighted

press power button to select reboot

phone reboots and look in app drawer for SU

and that should be you.

hope this helps.

thank you so much for this.

i didnt read paul's instructions properly, and after spending a long time unlocking a sensation, i kept on pressing the DOWN volume button to go into bootloader.

only when i went through your post did i read that i should press the UP volume button after the .bat file did its thing (which i expected for it to show me something like the sensation root...."...beer beer.... etc...."!!!)

now rooted :) :)

gonna look around for a better rom than the stock version :)

Edited by kaizoku_san

Guest Smiff2

just ran linux script as root and got this:

sending 'recovery' (5074 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

./install-superrecovery-linux.sh: 3: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

er is this serious?!

edit: guess not 'cos it works. you just need to escape your brackets to avoid scaring newbs please :)

Edited by Smiff2

Guest wiiija

sean@sean-UL30A:~/Downloads/r1-g300-superrecovery$ sudo ./install-superrecovery-linux.sh

[sudo] password for sean:

./install-superrecovery-linux.sh: 2: ./install-superrecovery-linux.sh: ./fastboot-linux: not found

./install-superrecovery-linux.sh: 3: ./install-superrecovery-linux.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Any ideas? fastboot-linux is there, I have no idea whats going on!

Edited by wiiija

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cartoone

Just out of Technical curiosity.. ( to know the reason why the phone is not getting unlocked even after rooting..)

When you root a device, i thought we are bringing the system to its barebones and putting the original firmware (please correct I'm wrong)

Then why is it not unlocking the carrier? ( Are they doing the sim lock at a much hardware level?)

Edited by cartoone

Guest Smiff2

no, rooting just means gaining root access on a linux system.

this basically just means installing SU (superuser) which appears like another app in the app drawer and allows other apps root permissions.. nothing to do with carrier locking or changing ROMs.

Guest cartoone

no, rooting just means gaining root access on a linux system.

this basically just means installing SU (superuser) which appears like another app in the app drawer and allows other apps root permissions.. nothing to do with carrier locking or changing ROMs.

thanks mate for the simple explanation.

Guest Smiff2

yeah that wasn't a great explanation sorry.. "root" is like "administrator" in Windows - permission to write anywhere in the file system. a normal user can only read the \system partition for example, root can read and write.

you need root access before you can change roms and use some apps. you do not need root access to unlock a phone, you need an unlock code :)

Edited by Smiff2

Guest Pear of Anguish

Hi folks

First thanks for the guide, this has been my first attempt at rooting or generally doing anything to a phone and for the most part I think I've succeeded!

However...

I've had no obvious issues following this but I'm just at a wall now. I think the device is rooted as in no problems downloading the file to PC and got through the installation process and rebooting on the android screen. Phone is now on and I'm just wondering what to do now. I've had a look through the app pages and unable to find anything named SU. Guessng I just need to find this and activate it now?

Thanks in advance

Nice one ! Got my G300 yesterday afternoon and was only looking (at least for now !) for a way to remove the demos... done ! Now waiting for that unlock code but it seems the Ebay vendor I chose doesn't 'process' at the weekend... ah well, at least I can still connect through wifi :)

Guest Pear of Anguish

Hi folks

First thanks for the guide, this has been my first attempt at rooting or generally doing anything to a phone and for the most part I think I've succeeded!

However...

I've had no obvious issues following this but I'm just at a wall now. I think the device is rooted as in no problems downloading the file to PC and got through the installation process and rebooting on the android screen. Phone is now on and I'm just wondering what to do now. I've had a look through the app pages and unable to find anything named SU. Guessng I just need to find this and activate it now?

Thanks in advance

All done, tried it a few times and for whatever reason it's now showing up.

Guest Smiff2

best way is to just try an app that needs root e.g. Titanium Backup or AdAway - you should be prompted by SU to give it root permissions. if not, those apps will complain and you aren't rooted :)

Edited by Smiff2

Guest derei

I have no idea why, but pressing Volume-Down button, while powering-up my phone, doesn't grant that HUAWEI logo stays on screen... it stays for several seconds, then continues to load all stuff, and phone is up as normally.

Any suggestions? I tried a lot of times, the vol-down button is working properly, have no idea what's going on...

LATER EDIT: I had to press Vol-Down longer than Power btn (another 3-5 sec, after releasing Pwr btn) and that did the job. Same for recovery screen.

Edited by derei

Guest Pia23

Thanks for this i've just rooted with no problems.

A question though, i've literally just taken delivery of the phone and am waiting for my unlock code from ebay. I read i need to update the firmware due to a speaker problem or something? How do i do this, can anyone link me to noob-friendly instructions? Will this undo my root? I'm not bothered about changing roms. (as i don't know how to)

Edited by Pia23

Guest eirlysbill1

here you go:

http://www.modaco.co...-and-i-cant-do/

Someone else will know better than me, I'm not 100%, but I think you would have to re-root. You'll know if, you install the B866 (edit: B886, sorry) update and then look in your app tray. If SuperSU is there, you're still rooted.

Edited by eirlysbill1