MoDaCo Recommends... Best Android Anti-Virus app

Guest Mark Dearlove

Guest Mark Dearlove

In this episode of 'MoDaCo Recommends...' we are looking for the best anti-virus app for your Android devices.

There are a lot of options out there and each does things slightly differently. From straight forward antivirus, to full security suites with remotely activated anti-theft controls, there are a swathe of different apps from well known vendors, to the smaller app developers.

If you use an anti-virus app then let us know your app of choice and the reasons behind your decision. Maybe you are living without any kind of Android protection - if that is you, let us know why you made the decision not to install anything.

As ever, make your nominations in the comments. Nominations close on Friday, when the voting will open. The winner will be announced on Monday.

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest Stu C

My vote goes to Avast. To be fair, I don't use the anti-virus aspect of the app, but the firewall function is excellent for blocking adverts and open fient on a per-app basis, and the anti-theft function is excellent (based on testing at home... thankfully I've not had to use it for real!). It also includes an SMS and Call Filter, which saves needing a second app for this functionality.

Guest umpa2

I use Avast, free, all round great app with many functions that is explained well by @Stu C. It can also be modified well to suit everyone's needs.

Guest mytoza

Avast here as well, why? Pretty much been said above already.

The only downside I have found to Avast is that it doesn't always appear to auto update the signatures, not sure even if it is supposed to, but bang for buck (it's free after all) for me it is the best available at the moment.

Guest Carbonize

I use Avast for the anti virus but for anti theft SMS only control is a relic of the past. For my anti theft I used Android Lost which is seriously powerful with a plethora of controls and lets you control it via both SMS and it's web site. I am quite surprised it's not been purchased by one of the big players yet.

Guest pedrojaime

I have used Avast before on Linux and it was pretty good. Last time I tried AVG I came to the conclusion that it was no good for old PCs - resource hog. How do you find it on your Android? The one I really liked was Avira (slick and fast) and recently went back to clamav (on PCs that is). Would be great if these were available on Android too!

Guest Voxpop2011

I use Lookout simply because it is always featured in Android magazine. I like the fact that everytime I turn on my phone, it scans everything and also checks the downloads from the app store. On top of this, I also get a weekly report emailed to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.