456 replies to this topic

ovecka

ovecka

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
I am getting the G300 directly from Vodafone tomorrow but I am not using Vodafone's SIM. Does flashing the B886 rom unlock the phone or I need to unlock it first (in case they actually ship it SIM locked here)? Thanks

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

I am getting the G300 directly from Vodafone tomorrow but I am not using Vodafone's SIM. Does flashing the B886 rom unlock the phone or I need to unlock it first (in case they actually ship it SIM locked here)? Thanks

I think ur more than likely going to need an unlock code, there are a few sellers on Ebay. that have been used by a few ppl on here & they seem to be good.

diddydavro

diddydavro

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
I've just called the Derby VF store and they acknowledge there is a speaker/volume problem.

They offered me a replacement (will still have fault on it!) but not a refund.

They said that if I installed an 'official' Huawei update (B886) it will NOT invalidate the warranty, in fact they said they encourage customers to do their own updates!!!

I used ‘App Backup & Restore’ to back up my apps before I upgraded to R886. It doesn’t back-up copyrighted (paid for) apps so I tried to use ‘My Android Apps’ on Google Play (as I had done before on my rooted, 2.3.5 SF) anyway it failed to restore any of my paid apps. I contacted Google Play Store support about it and this is their reply:

Thanks for providing details about the issue you're experiencing on Google Play. In reviewing the information you've provided as well as our records, it appears that this issue is related to the fact that you're not using the authorized ROM that came with your device - using any ROM besides the factory default may cause the device to have limited functionality and may cause unexpected behaviour with the Google Play Store app. Unfortunately, we won't be able to troubleshoot this issue because the issue appears to be unique to the way your device is configured, and we can't recreate the issue with our devices here. To resolve the issue, I recommend using the authorized Android operating system provided by your manufacturer that can be obtained from their website or your carrier.

I had not problems prior to the upgrade so unless the app developers can come up with a workaround I will need to go back to the stock VF ROM and then update to R885.

Edited by diddydavro, 09 May 2012 - 10:00 PM.

Huawei Ascend G510, Moto G, Nokia Asha 201, Samsung Galaxy Tab3 / 8", Samsung Galaxy Tab3 / 7", Google Chromecast 

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

I've just called the Derby VF store and they acknowledge there is a speaker/volume problem.

They offered me a replacement (will still have fault on it!) but not a refund.

They said that if I installed an 'official' Huawei update (B886) it will NOT invalidate the warranty, in fact they said they encourage customers to do their own updates!!!

well thats good news then, tho knowing some stores 1 would say 1 thing and another would say something completely different

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
Its not an official update though as its not released yet

punjabi

punjabi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Do you think someone should update the beginning of this thread as the B888 ROM is now available...

"Just found a B888 ROM from Huawei - the instructions in the rar file say it's for U8815 and looks legit. I'll be flashing it just now and seeing what it looks like.

http://www.uloz.to/x...001c185b888-rar

http://www.uloz.to/x...001c185b888-rar

MediaFire mirror:
http://www.mediafire...navhb71095je2fh

punjabi

punjabi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Sorry just to clarify the above was written by user 'KasioPC' in another thread on this forum.

Thanks

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200

Hi Frankish. I'm a Newbie so please bear with me.

I want to resolve the speaker/volume problem by installing the B886 ROM.

I’ve read most of the threads on the subject but can’t find answers:

1. Should I back-up the VF stock ROM before installing B886, and if so how?

2. If the update bombs out, how to I recover to the VF stock ROM?

3. Is the phone still unlocked after installing the ROM?

Thanks

No need to backup stock VF rom as it is available on these forums in an easy to install format like the B886 rom. If the update doesn't work you just try the same one again it will work ha ha. The phone will still be sim locked.

Will update post to B888 rom once i've read some feedback on it.

toge64

toge64

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Bargain android devices... (and high end ones too)
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Galaxy Tab 2
I haven't upgraded to B888 or done a root yet, and I need to back up my apps.

would I need to root twice as I'll need titanium to back up? how is huawei's all backup as a backup app?

Edited by toge64, 07 May 2012 - 07:19 PM.

Have: Nexus 4, Galaxy Tab 2, HP Touchpad
Sold: Orange OSF/ZTE Blade AMOLED, Huawei Ascend G300

sparkyh0611

sparkyh0611

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Hi Lads,

New to all this modding stuff so go easy......

Right, i've followed instructions and im still getting the pink screen when holding the volume button on start, i definitely have the dload folder on the sd card, ive checked half a dozen times, any ideas what im doing wrong, im using windows 7 home, the only thing i can think of is that im using a 2gb sd card??

Oh and i've done the clockworkmod and managed that okay

Any help/ideas would be appreciated

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
took me a few goes to install the b888 also. I'm not sure if my SD card didn't have enough room, under 500mb but what I did was download the file to PC, extract it and you will see a dload folder. Put this dload file on the root of your SD card and when done remove phone from PC.
Then go into settings, storage, software upgrade and follow the steps given on the phone.
I am not sure what caused the pink screen whether you need over 512mb free to flash it, or whether it needs to be downloaded to PC first. I suspect it was not enough memory.
Please note that there is a vendor zip also that you will see after extracting the zip. This is installed the same way. I didn't install this. It adds the shortcut to the pull down screen and probably more.

Sound is good, phone seems faster and smoother, also all touch seems more accurate including the bottom 3 buttons. I went straight from stock to B888 so I can't compare it to B884 or B886.
Hope this helps.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
Please note, there is a file in the dload folder. Leave it in there and move the full slowdown folder with its contents to the root of the SD card.

sparkyh0611

sparkyh0611

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Done it cheers, It was the dload file inside the dload file that did it!! realised it was the the second dload file that i needed to copy over, noob......

Cheers lads

anteg

anteg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Frankish good man this should help a lot of people. Can I point out a couple of things I discovered.
1. When you unpack rom the structure is dload/dload/update.zip so I had to open the first dload folder then copy the second dload folder that has the update in it.

2. You cannot update by putting update in internal SD card as instructions say put update in SD card and install card which says to me it must be in the external card. I tried internal and it always failed.

3. I updated by having phone on and simply imputing the *#*#2846579#*#* on the dialer keypad and when you input the last * the update starts automatically. No need to fart around removing batteries and trying to hold 3 buttons.

Hope you don't mind the input.

Thanks to Frankish for putting this post up & putbinoot for adding the "easy way" to install the stock ROM. This is my 1st android, until now I've been using a raspberry but I wanted more apps without spending too much, the Huawei seemed like a good entry level phone. It did seem risky to mess with a new phone but the low volume was too annoying to live with and you guys made the whole process simple. Thanks again

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 720
Just install the B888 update, and went to re-root. But no joy, once in bootloader mode and then clicking on the install batch file (from superrecovery r1), the command dos window hangs up at <waiting for device>

its not as simple as ticking the USB debugging, is it? I think I've seen in the threads that you need to do that, but not 100% sure.

Thanks

PS: I went to try this on another PC this morning, and when I went to download the superrcovery zip, sophos caught a trojan. And yesterday on another computer Macfee caught a trojan as well.

When that happened yesterday, I suspected the site that the Android drivers download link pointed to (that's in the root thread 1st page, I think) cause when I entered that site a few days ago Macfee gave me a warning, but I ignored it.

Anyone else have trouble with trojans related to these download sites?

Edited by eirlysbill1, 08 May 2012 - 09:26 AM.

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Just install the B888 update, and went to re-root. But no joy, once in bootloader mode and then clicking on the install batch file (from superrecovery r1), the command dos window hangs up at <waiting for device>

its not as simple as ticking the USB debugging, is it? I think I've seen in the threads that you need to do that, but not 100% sure.

i managed to do it ok, did u follow the instructions....i found this post probably the best instructions on how to do it. when u connect ur device to ur computer check if it is there in device manager...something like ADB android something..most important bit is ADB. also u need USB Debugging ticked aswell

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 720

i managed to do it ok, did u follow the instructions....i found this post probably the best instructions on how to do it. when u connect ur device to ur computer check if it is there in device manager...something like ADB android something..most important bit is ADB. also u need USB Debugging ticked aswell

Yeah its probably the debugging option (should have ticked it), but thanks for the cluing me up on the device manger too.

Cheers

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Yeah its probably the debugging option (should have ticked it), but thanks for the cluing me up on the device manger too.

Cheers

thanks cool :)

I didnt know either until about week ago...Thanks Youtube lol

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Well done frankish,a very good contribution to the new forum there :)

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
I doubt the virus is connected to the super recovery file as Paul is the owner of Modaco and pretty sure that its hosted here. Maybe flibblesan will mention it to Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users